Apollo 18

BellaCheval

Has anyone seen the trailers for this yet? I kind of like the premise but we all know how the premieres are cut so they're the best of a bad bunch.

Thoughts?

Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F6DU6gx7-w

I love space exploration and the Apollo missions so I'm a bit interested. The Saturn V was a really cool rocket! But I don't really care for these types of movies. I'll probably see it.

The top comment pretty well sums it up for me: "this trailer gave up the whole movie" I don't really need 45 minutes of suspense, 20 minutes of lead in, 20 minutes of exposition and 10 minutes of action.

So, I'm good.

I just rented and watched Apollo 18 today and I have to say I really liked it. I heard the bad reviews that it was boring and that only the last 10 mins is exciting. I totally disagree. It builds throughout the movie and ends with a bang. The movie is really only 1hr and 19mins (It's listed as 1hr 29mins but credits are about 10 mins long) so it's not like your wasting 2hrs and 20 mins like some movies. I think it was the perfect length otherwise the bad reviews would be more warranted. IMO

I saw the trailer when the movie was just coming out to the theaters and I have always wanted to see it. I just re-watched the trailer that was linked to in this thread and they do give away some things, but that is the trailer that made me want to see this movie and I am glad I did. I don't think they give away too much in the trailer. BUT THAT SAID, IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE MOVIE AND HAVEN'T SEEN THE TRAILER IN A WHILE DON'T WATCH IT AGAIN. The more you forget the better. I wish trailers were only 30 seconds long and give you a faint idea of the movie. I hate these 2 min trailers.

Personally, I love when they take history and skew it off into something believable. And WHILE I DON'T BELIEVE this is true (so save those comments), I found it plausible, interesting and a good all around movie. I give it a B. It's not great but its good.

People who say it's boring, I don't get what some people want. It's called suspense and they build it thru the movie and then end it with a bang. And like I said, it's only 1hr 19mins not counting the credits, so it's not like your checking your watch. I guess people want movies to be like say, Transformers...2hrs 20 mins...action from the opening scene until the end. I don't get it. To each their own.

I really liked it and I NEVER believe any of the hype or bad reviews on any movie. If I think it looks interesting, I watch it and judge it. Some movies that the critics love, I think suck big time. Some movies that the public loves, I think suck big time. And visa-versa. Anyway, I am off that soapbox.

If you think it looks interesting and you love the Space Program, conspiracy and space movies that are grounded in reality, then you will probably like it. If you want the movies "Alien(s)", then you might be disappointed. (btw, I am not dissing Alien(s), it's just not that kind of movie.)

SPOILERS.....

I loved the whole premise that the they pose that the Russians sent a manned flight to the moon. I thought that the DOD angle was totally believable. Let's say this was all true, I can totally see the government reacting the same way they did and it gives a perfect reason why we never went back. Which I have always wondered, why wouldn't we try to build something on the moon? And I loved the little blurbs at the end that talked about the moon rocks that were given out to dignitaries being stolen or lost.

And a very cool and subtle thing is, and you won't find this out until you try to go to the website they mention in the movie that all this footage was supposedly uploaded to, it doesn't load. And from what I have found online, it never did. I found an article about the website here Story about LunarTruth.com link in movie Apollo 18 and it says that the site didn't load and there are conspiracy theorists who actually believe the government took it down! Now that is a top notch subtle way to sell the movie!

It reminds me of the website called IHC or Institute for Human Continuity which looked really legit and some people actually bought into it. The website acted as if it was a lottery to be on an "ark" for when the end of the world comes in 2012. Of course it was just a way to get email addresses to hype the release of the end of the world disaster movie "2012". It was so elaborate that it looked freaking real. It's down now, at least I couldn't find it, but it didn't even mention the movie 2012 until a couple months before the movie came out, which again, people bought into it. When I finally saw it was after the I watched it on DVD and went to the website, but at that time, it was obvious it was for the movie. But from what I read after looking at how elaborate the site was, people were really believing, so much so that Sony had to put disclaimers on it that it was just a preview for 2012.

But having the site they mention in the movie not even out there to load...that is brilliant! Of course all of it must be true...the government took down the website with all the footage!!! Just hilarious and genius.

Seems like everyone is jumping on the "lost footage" genre bandwagon (due to the success of the Paranormal Activity franchise no doubt). At least this movie is different in that it involves footage from outer space.

Even Amityville just came out with a "lost footage" film. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Dec 29 2011, 11:55 PM)
Seems like everyone is jumping on the "lost footage" genre bandwagon (due to the success of the Paranormal Activity franchise no doubt).

Actually, it started with the Blair Witch Project.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Dec 30 2011, 11:12 PM)
Seems like everyone is jumping on the "lost footage" genre bandwagon (due to the success of the Paranormal Activity franchise no doubt).

If you want to get technical you could say that it began with "The Last Broadcast" which came out the year or so before Blair Witch. Or even "Cannibal Holocaust" which came out in 1980.

Whn Blair Witch came out it wasn't followed by a bunch of copycats like it is now with PA. Right now there are dozens of "lost footage" types of movies out there that came out after the first PA was released.

Edited by Test4VitalSigns

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Dec 30 2011, 11:01 PM)

If you want to get technical you could say that it began with "The Last Broadcast" which came out the year or so before Blair Witch. Or even "Cannibal Holocaust" which came out in 1980.

Whn Blair Witch came out it wasn't followed by a bunch of copycats like it is now with PA. Right now there are dozens of "lost footage" types of movies out there that came out after the first PA was released.

Are you always this "Testy" after you've been corrected?

tongue.gif

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jan 2 2012, 02:14 AM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Dec 30 2011, 11:01 PM)

Are you always this "Testy" after you've been corrected?

tongue.gif

I wasn't "corrected"

you were. pokey.gif tongue.gif