Ayn Rand

Earthshine Emmeline

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I happen to agree with her belief in the capability of an individual and that as a person you should strive to be the best for your own good. But I also beleive as stated before, her philosophies do not work in the real world.

I agree government can be a destructive force and that good intentions ultimately CAN lead to bad results. And people should not be eviscerated for applying themselves and being productive.

As a writer, I find her to be plodding and heavy handed, and as above, one cold fish.

QUOTE (briremo @ Aug 1 2011, 07:52 PM)
Personally I happen to agree with her belief in the capability of an individual and that as a person you should strive to be the best for your own good. But I also beleive as stated before, her philosophies do not work in the real world.

I agree government can be a destructive force and that good intentions ultimately CAN lead to bad results. And people should not be eviscerated for applying themselves and being productive.

As a writer, I find her to be plodding and heavy handed, and as above, one cold fish.

However, the concept of self determination (aside from not really qualifying as a "philosophy" IMO) is not unique to Rand's rants. If that is the only nugget of wisdom in her bowl of nuts, it can be better found somewhere else. I chalk her "genius" up to: even a broken watch is right twice a day.

QUOTE (ioc @ Aug 2 2011, 03:22 AM)
QUOTE (briremo @ Aug 1 2011, 07:52 PM)

However, the concept of self determination (aside from not really qualifying as a "philosophy" IMO) is not unique to Rand's rants. If that is the only nugget of wisdom in her bowl of nuts, it can be better found somewhere else. I chalk her "genius" up to: even a broken watch is right twice a day.

Precisely.

I genuinely can't think of single thing she actually 'invented' as her own that qualifies as a genuine & unique philosophy.

Naturally not everything she said was simplistic, childish, objectionable or ridiculous but way too much of it was for her to be taken seriously.

In my view at least.

(and accepting that a significant chunk of current right-wing America thinks her stuff is, um, 'awesome')

......and then there's the fact that modern behavioural science studies all over the world simply shows a lot of her assumptions and conclusions to be plain 100% wrong.

Not to ruffle anyone's feathers, but has anybody seen the movie from Atlas Shrugged that came out this year?

As for the book, I read it a while ago, it was alright until the final chapters, then BIG let down. Dagney is a fine characther anyway.

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Nov 24 2011, 10:21 AM)
Not to ruffle anyone's feathers, but has anybody seen the movie from Atlas Shrugged that came out this year?

As for the book, I read it a while ago, it was alright until the final chapters, then BIG let down. Dagney is a fine characther anyway.

I bought Part One of this movie on Blu-Ray and I loved it!

It's a B Movie but I really thought it was done well for the budget.

I am actually looking forward to Part II!

Ayn Rand Rules!

The Fountainhead's a good read, but I found it far more comedic than Rand intended (hopefully). When Howard Roark rapes Dominique....the only other rape scene more comedic is either A Clockwork Orange or Death Wish 3. Anyway, some of the themes I agree with...individuality is indeed a good thing, and sticking up for your ideals is great, but how would a Howard Roark end up in the real world? Either a Republican politician or homeless. Plus, selfishness isn't cool.

I've also read Anthem, which is a semi-decent dystopian novel. Another good theme of individuality. Has nothing on the big dystopian books though, like 1984, Brave New World, etc.

The Romantic Manifesto is her views on art. Well-written but I disagree with her views. As per usual.

QUOTE (beherit @ May 25 2012, 07:08 PM)
As for her other books, I'll probably get around to reading We The Living and Atlas Shrugged at some point. Not that I agree with her views, but her books are entertaining.

I read Altas earlier this year. It was a good read. I enjoyed it much more than the Fountainhead. Who is John Galt?