wow!!

s_b_g

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 10 2011, 11:20 PM)
QUOTE (Akron162 @ Jun 10 2011, 07:13 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 10 2011, 08:06 PM)
QUOTE (Akron162 @ Jun 10 2011, 08:26 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 10 2011, 04:16 PM)
QUOTE (Akron162 @ Jun 9 2011, 09:25 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 9 2011, 08:06 PM)
QUOTE (Akron162 @ Jun 9 2011, 08:09 PM)
modern bands that have rock my world? None. As far as i concern, right now everything suck, with the exception of Transatlantic, the last real progressive band.

facepalm.gif

you don't like it, i don't care.

you're entitled to your own opinion, but to say that "right now everything suck" (sic) is misguided and ignorant. at least you acknowledge ("as far as i am 'concern'") that you're ignorant, but if you know it, i don't understand why you wouldn't try to educate yourself. And Transatlantic isn't the "last real progressive band", either. Beardfish has released an album this year, The Tangent has one scheduled, The Flower Kings and Porcupine Tree have albums coming out, Opeth's new album is supposed to be growl-free (which means it will be real old-school style prog.) I might also add that i'm barely keeping up with the progressive scene, so what i've listed are simply the releases that are BIG ENOUGH that i've heard of them.

Why don't you try educating yourself a little before making such bold statements (or at the very least, humble yourself a little bit), and don't act surprised or offended when people question your "opinions".

yeah, well, everything suck, from porcupine tree to opeth and everything in the middle, a lot of posers, they are not real prog, you got the right to like them, but i don't care about nothing modern.

There's more to the world of music than just prog, ya know. And I love how logical your arguments are, as well as how well they're supported and constructed. I'm not entirely sure how someone could like Transatlantic but not The Tangent, or The Flower Kings (surely you know that they are Roine Stolt's main band?), or anything else Neal Morse related (they're all the same damn thing really, Transatlantic included). But I digress - my main point has absolutely nothing to do with opinions and like/dislike for bands, it has to do with ignorance -- towards modern music, towards the (valid) opinions of others, and towards the English language. Guess who I'm talking about here. I'll give you a clue, it's somebody who probably don't care either way.

Man, how much time you need to understand that im just trolling? Is my weekends hobby. Im sorry for the bad english, but i thik i have apologize for it quite enough.

you know, there's a LOT of love in this thread right now. yes.gif

i can't be the only one who's noticed. no.gif

Akron162 simply enjoys progging out! No harm.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now the main one for me is The Mars Volta, who I actually found out about from Neil's site, he's a fan of theirs.

Ive given a lot of newer bands a fair chance, like Muse, Porcupine Tree, just cannot get into them at all. The singer in Muse sounds like he's trying to sing opera or something and Porcupine Tree bores me to tears. They sound generic to me, shit lyrics to. "My xbox is a god to me, my finger on the switch, my mother is a bitch". Uh....

TMV on the other hand is pretty experimental, and really great musicians which I love being a musician myself. Great song writing too.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 9 2011, 06:45 PM)
QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Jun 9 2011, 04:28 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 9 2011, 12:07 AM)
Grace Potter & The Nocturnals

Absolutely. Looks like Heidi Klum, sounds like Barracuda-era Ann Wilson.

I'd also add Jack White's White Stripes up to Get Behind Me Satan.

Never thought that I'd see another Grace Potter fan on a Rush board laugh.gif

She's probably my favorite female vocalist. I love the first 2 albums. The last one is good but way too overproduced.

I'm a HUGE Grace Potter fan. She is amazing and her band is about as solid of a rock band as you'll hear anywhere. A band that "plays together" for sure.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 11 2011, 01:04 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 9 2011, 06:45 PM)
QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Jun 9 2011, 04:28 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 9 2011, 12:07 AM)
Grace Potter & The Nocturnals

Absolutely. Looks like Heidi Klum, sounds like Barracuda-era Ann Wilson.

I'd also add Jack White's White Stripes up to Get Behind Me Satan.

Never thought that I'd see another Grace Potter fan on a Rush board laugh.gif

She's probably my favorite female vocalist. I love the first 2 albums. The last one is good but way too overproduced.

I'm a HUGE Grace Potter fan. She is amazing and her band is about as solid of a rock band as you'll hear anywhere. A band that "plays together" for sure.

Wow, surprised to see so many fans here. I was listening to some of their shows on Archive.org and all of the band sounds excellent live.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 11 2011, 09:43 AM)
Right now the main one for me is The Mars Volta, who I actually found out about from Neil's site, he's a fan of theirs.

Ive given a lot of newer bands a fair chance, like Muse, Porcupine Tree, just cannot get into them at all. The singer in Muse sounds like he's trying to sing opera or something and Porcupine Tree bores me to tears. They sound generic to me, shit lyrics to. "My xbox is a god to me, my finger on the switch, my mother is a bitch". Uh....

TMV on the other hand is pretty experimental, and really great musicians which I love being a musician myself. Great song writing too.

I absolutely cannot STAND the vocals in TMV. Too bad too, because the music kicks ass otherwise - the vocalist just renders it unlistenable to these ears. eh.gif

First of all, I'm gonna hafta agree with Goobs in the fact that most 'new' music I listen to is from the golden 68-73 years.

Newer bands that come to mind that rock out old school style, meaning they sound like they came out of the early 70s.:

Gov't Mule

Wolfmother

Rose Hill Drive

Ironically, all three started off as power trios which drew my attention, but have added an additional member to become a quartet. I just love power trio rock (Hendrix, Cream, Rush, Zep*, The Who*).

*power trios with a front-man

I too like Grace Potter. Although I think my eyes like her more than my ears.

Gracie is been on stage with the Mule several times. Attached is an example:

Edited by apetersvt

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 11 2011, 02:03 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 11 2011, 09:43 AM)

I absolutely cannot STAND the vocals in TMV. Too bad too, because the music kicks ass otherwise - the vocalist just renders it unlistenable to these ears. eh.gif

Musically I think they're much too cluttered and busy and seem to have not learned the lessons of restraint, subtlety, melodicism and taste. It's also amusing seeing an MV fan knocking other bands lyrics since theirs are total nonsense.