Sheffield- S. Yorkshire, England

Cosy Toes

QUOTE (owlman @ May 19 2011, 09:15 AM)
Great review from the guardian, don't think the guy even went to tell the truth!

Always irritates me how the media seems to enjoy slagging off rush but not other bands of the same generation. Maybe their musical knowledge don't stretch that far.

BTW how many were at the Glasgow gig?

Glasgow was pretty full

^ That's good to hear. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

If you talk to any Sheffield promoters they will tell you the same thing about gigs in the Steel city. Basically unless the gig is on a weekend (note the Rush gig wasn't), then it's really difficult to get folks to come out & see concerts in Sheffield on a week night.

Big name acts mainly seem to struggle to sell out Sheffield, and clearly Rush are not immune to this.

Also add in the factors of a relatively nearby Manchester gig (which I would expect to be more full), fairly high ticket prices and that we are still mired in recession then you can see why Sheffield wasn't full.

Oh, and Sheffield isn't a big college town. wink.gif

Having said that, both Phil (Fenlander) & I remarked that Rush still managed to pull a decent crowd all things considered.

Perhaps the next time Rush play Europe Sheffield will be dropped from the itinerary?

Edited by Harperspace

It may well be a consequence of allowing scalpers to bulk buy 20 tickets when they went on sale and them not being able to offload them on to a ticket hungry fanbase .. ..

It was a fear I had

QUOTE (Harperspace @ May 19 2011, 12:23 PM)
Perhaps the next time Rush play Europe Sheffield will be dropped from the itinerary?

Should Rush tour Europe again and Leeds has its Arena by then, then Sheffield and Newcastle will be dropped.

The Arena was pretty full on the RtB tour and that was midweek, of course tickets were relatively more affordable back then.

Did they play Sheffield on the snakes and arrows and r30 tours?

My one previous visit to Sheffield arena was for the roll the bones tour which I think was the last one before the R30 tour.

QUOTE (Fenlander @ May 19 2011, 09:57 AM)
Did they play Sheffield on the snakes and arrows and r30 tours?

My one previous visit to Sheffield arena was for the roll the bones tour which I think was the last one before the R30 tour.

They did on S&A but not R30, Manchester was the closet to me from the NE. sad.gif

Hi all, this is my first post but I've been a long time Rush fan.

Myself and a mate went to the show on Monday, it being my 10th Rush concert since signals in '83 (when they did 4 shows back to back at Wembley, no problem filling seats then!).

Thought the show was great, especially Moving Pictures, except for one little thing: the age old battle between the stand-uppers and the sit-downers. Me, I would rather stand, jig around and show some enthusiasm but I'm easy going and would go along with the majority.

Anyway, my mate and I were in a tiered block on Ged's side near the front. We sat next to a very nice geordie lass who had been a fan since 2112 era, had already seen them in Glasgow and was singing along merrily, word perfect. She got the urge to stand up about the 3rd or 4th song in and we joined her for support and all was well. Then came the end of the song and we were clapping away nicely when we got this loud message from behind that would have given the house pa serious competition in the decibel stakes, "SIT THE F.CK DOWN". Well we looked at each other and decided from the amplitude of the voice, we'd better comply. We stayed there for the rest of the show except for occasionally rising to our feet to clap between songs.

In the past at concerts it's been a case that a group of people would stand up and everyone behind would do the same. Is it because the age of the original fan is reaching the 50 mark and their knees won't hold out. I know 3 people on the stage who are over that age and are still bouncing about like kangaroos... Anyway, it took the wind out of the poor geordie lass's enthusiasm, which was a shame.

BTW, if you want to know where and when they played, a useful link is: http://www.2112.net/powerwindows

QUOTE (Trouty @ May 17 2011, 11:43 AM)
My first show this tour however a veteran of many Rush shows down the years. I was near the front on Geddy's side 3 rows up the side.

I actually thought the show had the most glitches I can remember from a Rush show. sad.gif I thought for the main the sound was poor and did not know if that was that I was too near the front or on Geddy's side as I'd never been on Geddy's side before. It just sounded too bassy which drowned out the vocals too much.

I noticed Neil dropped sticks at least 3 times and once even played one handed for what seemed 2 or so seconds which to him is a lot of hits. biggrin.gif I noticed the drum tech out a few times to shore things up.

I can't for certain say but I'm sure the screen was buggered for too long a periods through out the show. Long gaps with nothing on them which is strange. I guess I can compare that on Saturday. part of the screen was damaged during the Camera Eye and early on in the camera eye Geddy appeared to have issues and was communicating with techs quite a lot.

The pyros did not go off during Marathon - well the sound did but no fireworks, again not sure that is correct or not.

Do not get me wrong it was a great evening and I loved it but like I said something was a bit off - or maybe over the years I've come to expect too much. biggrin.gif

i was there and agree about the sound. i thought the band with an exuberance i have never seen from them before. there lack of visual pyro was done on purpose as the same hapenned at Manchester and Birmingham.

"A lucky shot in the dark" makes sense if you think about it, although i didnt consider it until the 3rd show!!