Sheffield- S. Yorkshire, England

Cosy Toes

So much better than Dublin.

So Much better.

Set 1 still has a massive momentum killing section, but everything tonight was so much better than Dublin.

Daddy can now remember when he used to like Rush.

Just got back from Sheffield, what an awesome show, loved every minute.

Alex was amazing and put so much effort in all night, on Working Man I thought he was going to have a heart attack !

Neil and Geddy were brilliant as well.

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ May 17 2011, 12:00 AM)
So much better than Dublin.
So Much better.

Set 1 still has a massive momentum killing section, but everything tonight was so much better than Dublin.

Daddy can now remember when he used to like Rush.

Wow, Mrs. Windsor will be here soon, in a land where her forebears killed us for fun, and himself has given the boys a decent review. A surreal start to my day!

Yes, I thought Glasgow was better. The Dublin crowd was better, but the boys were on the money in Glasgow.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 17 2011, 12:22 AM)
Why was it so much better? (Or why was Dublin so much worse, or whatever.)

The sound was better.

The band seemed more up for it.

Geddy's vocals held up better.

Cpt. Happy cracked a half smile, and even waved for five seconds at the end.

Last night was probably just one of those nights that everything clicked.

After Dublin I was so disappointed and wasn't looking forward to last night - especially after seeing a great show from Riverside on Sunday - but it was like seeing a different band. OK most of set 1 still sucks big time, but last night it was well played, clear sounding Suck.

All the folk in Dublin who agreed with my point of view also agreed that Sheffield was better. Those who had been to Glasgow also said Sheffield was better than Glasgae. Perhaps it's all downto memories of Sheffield being the site of the first UK Rush gig.

Edited by Cosy Toes

Nice one cosy toes, I was at the Riverside gig to, most enjoyable , they definitely deserve a bigger audience.

Rush last night in Sheffield were as usual fantastic. I was sat in some rubbish seats in the ' gods', so my heart sank when we first got in. Geddy's vocals were hard to hear for the first two songs but after that they were sound. Form is temporary, class is for life !.

This subject has been done to death on here but I wish only misery on Ticketmaster & Rushbackstage..... Hoodwinked in to getting priority tickets, priority , my arse.

First time live for me, and simply stunning. And I had ticket row 21 seat 13 - soooo close!!

Thought the videos were hilarious, and it was nice to see the bank poking fun at themselves. And to the 8 year old boy in front of me who knew most of the words - good work!!

QUOTE (Priest2112 @ May 17 2011, 07:24 AM)
First time live for me, and simply stunning. And I had ticket row 21 seat 13 - soooo close!!

Thought the videos were hilarious, and it was nice to see the bank poking fun at themselves. And to the 8 year old boy in front of me who knew most of the words - good work!!

dude you can now change your profile...from 0 rush concerts to 1!!

welcome to the family!!

cosey toes is still a dick.

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ May 17 2011, 12:37 PM)
QUOTE (Priest2112 @ May 17 2011, 07:24 AM)
First time live for me, and simply stunning.  And I had ticket row 21 seat 13 - soooo close!!

Thought the videos were hilarious, and it was nice to see the bank poking fun at themselves.  And to the 8 year old boy in front of me who knew most of the words - good work!!

dude you can now change your profile...from 0 rush concerts to 1!!

welcome to the family!!

cosey toes is still a dick.

Arsehole. Don't you know not abuse other members of this board?

The intro and outro vids are shite. We could have had: Finding my Way, Bastille Day, Beneath Between and Behind and the Trees in their place.

My ticket was Block A, Seat 5, Row 1. So far from Geddy and Neil.

Probably the best sounding gig i've been to. Everything was clear from where I was sat (near the curtains at the back). Many empty seats all round, probably only 3/5ths full and that doesn't include the curtained off area.

My first Rush show, and I was absolutely blown away. Good view from block B, row 11, seat 7. The sound was great, the setlist was (mostly) excellent and the guys were so enthusiastic and unbeatable performance-wise. I still feel like I'm walking on air, and coming from a guy whose username is 'Cynical' that's one hell of a compliment tongue.gif biggrin.gif

common001.gif 2.gif common001.gif

Edited by Cynical

My first show this tour however a veteran of many Rush shows down the years. I was near the front on Geddy's side 3 rows up the side.

I actually thought the show had the most glitches I can remember from a Rush show. sad.gif I thought for the main the sound was poor and did not know if that was that I was too near the front or on Geddy's side as I'd never been on Geddy's side before. It just sounded too bassy which drowned out the vocals too much.

I noticed Neil dropped sticks at least 3 times and once even played one handed for what seemed 2 or so seconds which to him is a lot of hits. biggrin.gif I noticed the drum tech out a few times to shore things up.

I can't for certain say but I'm sure the screen was buggered for too long a periods through out the show. Long gaps with nothing on them which is strange. I guess I can compare that on Saturday. part of the screen was damaged during the Camera Eye and early on in the camera eye Geddy appeared to have issues and was communicating with techs quite a lot.

The pyros did not go off during Marathon - well the sound did but no fireworks, again not sure that is correct or not.

Do not get me wrong it was a great evening and I loved it but like I said something was a bit off - or maybe over the years I've come to expect too much. biggrin.gif

I noticed a glitch or two but didn't detract at all for me.

Only adding Xanadu or Middletown dreams would have made it more perfect than it was. Amazing playing from all 3 them especially from Lerxst who absolutely shredded his axe at times especially on working man.

Totally blown away.

One thing though. No lasers. Anyone know why?

QUOTE (metallithrax @ May 17 2011, 02:26 PM)
Probably the best sounding gig i've been to. Everything was clear from where I was sat (near the curtains at the back). Many empty seats all round, probably only 3/5ths full and that doesn't include the curtained off area.

Based on before show tickets sold, I'd say less than half full.

Silly ticket prices = No Crowds. Especially in Yorkshire, home of the short-armed and long-pocketed.

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ May 17 2011, 10:17 PM)
QUOTE (metallithrax @ May 17 2011, 02:26 PM)
Probably the best sounding gig i've been to.  Everything was clear from where I was sat (near the curtains at the back).  Many empty seats all round, probably only 3/5ths full and that doesn't include the curtained off area.

Based on before show tickets sold, I'd say less than half full.

Silly ticket prices = No Crowds. Especially in Yorkshire, home of the short-armed and long-pocketed.

Word on the street says 5,800 tickets sold before the day. Less than hal full.

Hi folks, first rush gig since 79' manchester apollo! Really enjoyed it although geddy's bass sounded terrible where I was, 2/3 rds back left.

His bass was just booming all night, could'nt really hear a single thing he played and being a big geddy fan was really gutted!

I went away from rush between GUP > Presto thought they were pretty weak albums, but I'm into the newer heavier stuff again. Feel like going to Newcastle now! Any body know if there are plenty tickets left? Keep Rockin'

QUOTE (Tyke @ May 17 2011, 07:14 PM)
I ordered my tickets in January and got the best available but just 6 hours before the show i noticed Row A tickets for sale and this pissed me off big time as i was only offered Block 218 way back in January

Yes, this really really annoys me. On S&A I got pre-sale tickets for Newcastle and was 20 rows back, okay I thought at the time. On the morning of the S&A Sheffield gig I went online and ordered seats that were 4 rows back slap bang in the centre.

My wife bought me 'best available' for Newcastle this year as a birthday present so have had them ages and are in block 213.... yikes. sad.gif However again I ordered some Sheffield ones close to the day and got only a few rows back.

What the hell is going on? Are some 'tout' sites block buying on sale and return?

Also I think on the night Sheffield was about 3 to 4 5ths full. The back top sections was curtained off and not many people on the bottom back section but the floor area seemed full as did most of the banked sections till they got to the back.

I do not know who done the market research for this but when you look at other artists around at the moment Rush seemed the most expensive to go and see. sad.gif

I was in block 206, and the security were telling us all that we could move along to other blocks, just not in the front rows.

We stayed where we were, and ended up with a very good view with no obstructions. There were maybe 20-30 people in the whole block. We could have had a row apiece if we wanted.

Review of the show in todays Guardian newspaper here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/may/17/rush-review

Bit lazy and a bit incorrect, (performance of 2112 rather than Moving pictures) but at least he enjoyed it although its obvious he's not a fan of this type of music.

Anyone here comment on the piece apart from me?

QUOTE (metallithrax @ May 18 2011, 06:13 PM)
I was in block 206, and the security were telling us all that we could move along to other blocks, just not in the front rows.

We stayed where we were, and ended up with a very good view with no obstructions.  There were maybe 20-30 people in the whole block.  We could have had a row apiece if we wanted.

Me and my mate moved to the 2nd block on Geddy's side the stage after being sat in the back on the floor. Great view. Hard to believe that some people didn't turn up. There were quite a few gaps in the 2nd tier on that side.

Great review from the guardian, don't think the guy even went to tell the truth!

Always irritates me how the media seems to enjoy slagging off rush but not other bands of the same generation. Maybe their musical knowledge don't stretch that far.

BTW how many were at the Glasgow gig?