Some music can be better than other music?

Akron162

I had a heavy argument whit a co-worker today. He like to listen some crap called around here "reggeaton" (i have to wash my hands after writing that). So i let him know how much i hate that "music", and explained to him my reasons. Then he started to trow his arguments, like "...You can't say is crap just because you don't like it" and "...You can't say that any genre is bad because people like of them all as much as you like your music". I supose he is right in some points, but my general answer to all that is BULLSHIT!!

Of course music can be better than other music. For me the ecuation is simple:

complex compostion + musicianship + seriosness + intelligent lyrics * effort putted into it = better.

That's all. Ask to Rush if you don't believe me.

I don't know what to say I actually agree and at the same time it's a facepalm topic. Although I think we shouldn't go around aaying prog or other complex music is better because it's more complex. Music that requires talent to play and can still be catchy or melodic or emotional as well as complex (challenging for the mind) is obviously better than music that consists of one rhythm, and three familiar chords and rocking lyrics. It's better in terms of actual music. But when it comes to just partying or hanging out with a large crowd, pop and stuff like that is more suitable. Prog bands really dislike being called prog because the second people hear that word so many misconceptions arise. There is not really better music and whatnot...just music that is more musical than a pop hit or whatever.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 3 2011, 09:56 PM)
I don't know what to say I actually agree and at the same time it's a facepalm topic. Although I think we shouldn't go around aaying prog or other complex music is better because it's more complex. Music that requires talent to play and can still be catchy or melodic or emotional as well as complex (challenging for the mind) is obviously better than music that consists of one rhythm, and three familiar chords and rocking lyrics. It's better in terms of actual music. But when it comes to just partying or hanging out with a large crowd, pop and stuff like that is more suitable. Prog bands really dislike being called prog because the second people hear that word so many misconceptions arise. There is not really better music and whatnot...just music that is more musical than a pop hit or whatever.

oh yeah? go to youtube and look for wisin y yandel, then look for anything of rush, anything, listen to both carefully and then come back tell me if neither of the two is better than the other.

QUOTE (Akron162 @ May 3 2011, 10:03 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 3 2011, 09:56 PM)

oh yeah? go to youtube and look for wisin y yandel, then look for anything of rush, anything, listen to both carefully and then come back tell me if neither of the two is better than the other.

I live in a town where all the play is reggaeton; trust me buddy, I know exactly where you are coming from. I think you're a cool dude, and I know a lot of people here misunderstand you, and you stated before you're not too fluent in English. But just chill dude. I really think you have good intentions posting on here. And I think it's great that you come here to vent out your intolerance for all that "bad" music. I do that too. But think of it this way: some people just want simple and are too scared to venture into something new. Some people, like you, are the other way around. We need both types of people in this world. That is all. We need people to appreciate art and people to utilize it. Bottom line. Enjoy your music and don't worry about converting others; it's just not for them.

I live in a town where all the play is reggaeton; trust me buddy, I know exactly where you are coming from. I think you're a cool dude, and I know a lot of people here misunderstand you, and you stated before you're not too fluent in English. But just chill dude. I really think you have good intentions posting on here. And I think it's great that you come here to vent out your intolerance for all that "bad" music. I do that too. But think of it this way: some people just want simple and are too scared to venture into something new. Some people, like you, are the other way around. We need both types of people in this world. That is all. We need people to appreciate art and people to utilize it. Bottom line. Enjoy your music and don't worry about converting others; it's just not for them.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 3 2011, 10:12 PM)

greate comment, and everything you said is true, but i think you don't get the point. I don't give a damn about what people listen, i have never tried to convert anybody. I get angry whit my partner for a simple reason: he is putting beethoven at the level of daddy yankee. is not exactly the same than put it at the level of rush, i know, but i don't like the idea that all the music is equally good because some people like it and others don't. And truthfully pal: there is not even one cell on your body that don't believe that rush is better than wisin y yandel?

QUOTE (Akron162 @ May 3 2011, 10:23 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 3 2011, 10:12 PM)

greate comment, and everything you said is true, but i think you don't get the point. I don't give a damn about what people listen, i have never tried to convert anybody. I get angry whit my partner for a simple reason: he is putting beethoven at the level of daddy yankee. is not exactly the same than put it at the level of rush, i know, but i don't like the idea that all the music is equally good because some people like it and others don't. And truthfully pal: there is not even one cell on your body that don't believe that rush is better than wisin y yandel?

In my opinion, Rush's worst song is 2112x better than any reggaeton artist's best. Some people believe otherwise. That's all I'm saying.

QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 3 2011, 10:28 PM)

In my opinion, Rush's worst song is 2112x better than any reggaeton artist's best. Some people believe otherwise. That's all I'm saying.

it's all i'm asking for. but objectively, im still thinking that opinnion has little to do whit real music ability.

I'm very opinionated about music. There are genres I love, there are genres I think are ok, and there are genres I hate.

I do realize, however, that taste in music is completely subjective. Just because I think country music is evil doesn't mean progressive rock or anything is inherently objectively better. It's just different. Some people love country and hate prog. Are they wrong? How can anyone be wrong with subjective opinions?

QUOTE (Akron162 @ May 3 2011, 10:39 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 3 2011, 10:28 PM)

it's all i'm asking for. but objectively, im still thinking that opinnion has little to do whit real music ability.

Yeah, but remember the most talented musician on earth can just decide to write simple songs.

I agree, opinions mean nothing when it comes to the fact that some music is more difficult to play than others. Generally, the more difficult music is structured in a way that relates to a listener who has had many experiences with life or is a musician him/herself. But similarly, people who have lived simply (and simple is not bad) like simple music. Of course, this is all general. To make things clear: don't say complex is better; say complex requires talent. That is the only truth. You can never prove something is better, no matter how hard you try.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 3 2011, 10:41 PM)
I'm very opinionated about music. There are genres I love, there are genres I think are ok, and there are genres I hate.

I do realize, however, that taste in music is completely subjective. Just because I think country music is evil doesn't mean progressive rock or anything is inherently objectively better. It's just different. Some people love country and hate prog. Are they wrong? How can anyone be wrong with subjective opinions?

that's my point, that's why you can't say all music is equally good. now, if we put a computer to compare a song written by a 5 year-old boy and other written by mozart at his best whit some kind of program, which one you thik the computer will choose?

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ May 3 2011, 11:02 PM)
What sort of program do you have that "chooses" the better music..? This sounds like a fantasy

it's an example, computers are allways objective, ain't them?

Everyone else has said everything else I could say, so I'll leave it at this:

Music is subjective. Yes, some aspects are more widely accepted as "better" ("philosophical" lyrics, "complicated" rhythms, etc.) but as I said, there is no accepted "canon" for what makes music good. But that's just what makes music amazing. It speaks to each of us differently.

And for the record, I don't think most reggaeton is that bad. huh.gif There's been faaaar worse.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 3 2011, 11:44 PM)
"Blitzkrieg Bop" brings me as much joy as "Close to the Edge". I hate music snobbery.

i'm done with this, why is a tabu say that some music is better than other, as we can say some athletes are better than others, or some cars are better than others, or some books are better than others or some movies are better than others? It is so complicated? there is something so bad in what i said?

QUOTE (Akron162 @ May 4 2011, 01:00 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 3 2011, 11:44 PM)
"Blitzkrieg Bop" brings me as much joy as "Close to the Edge". I hate music snobbery.

i'm done with this, why is a tabu say that some music is better than other, as we can say some athletes are better than others, or some cars are better than others, or some books are better than others or some movies are better than others? It is so complicated? there is something so bad in what i said?

No, it's not taboo so say some music is better than other music. It's the example of complex composition + musicianship + seriousness + intelligent lyrics + effort = better. It's simply not true.

In the metal & prog rock realm, this song here is child's play really:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n83271tGBHg

Yet, I love it more than many songs that are more complex.. Tarkus is one, for example.. But then, there are the "Seriousness" and "Intelligent lyrics" factors contained in this song, but what determines those two is pretty subjective. There are many more elements to songs than you listed too, Akron162.

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/3641/unledey.png

Listen to Wire's Pink Flag. They deconstruct music down to the very basics of what makes a song great. A hook, a beat, a melody and lyrics. If you get all that across in 30 seconds, why repeat it for 20 minutes?

I love this

QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 4 2011, 12:44 AM)

Thank you.

Archived