Goobers Top 500 Songs of All Time!

rushgoober

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried to make and posts my "top songs/albums" lists like these before... I just cannot do it.. If you ask me to list my top 100 songs I would list 300 songs worthy of such praise, or to list a top 25 albums, I would come up with 100 worthy of that praise... And trying to whittle them down is an impossible task..

I like a lot of different music for a lot of different reasons, so putting one song ahead of another makes me second guess myself... " Did I really put this album of that one?" "I like this song more, but that other song is better..how should I rank that?" "I love dozens of these artists and want them represented, but only 3 artists are dominating my top 15!!!"

I've tried and tried to make a best or favorites list, but it's too damn hard... Goobs, I pity the hours you spent trying to sort through mounds of polished gold to try and sort it out by the shiniest.

I started compiling a list a few weeks ago, but then... I stopped. :huh:

Here is my top 99 list that is [extremely] unpolished and incomplete (although roughly in order)

I purposely excluded all Rush and had not gotten around to adding songs by more obscure bands:

Pink Floyd - Echoes

Genesis - Supper's Ready

Camel - Echoes

Caravan - Nine Feet Underground

Cat Stevens - Foreigner Suite

Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick (part 1)

Camel - Lady Fantasy

King Crimson - Starless

UK - Caesar's Palace Blues

Eagles - Take It Easy

Uriah Heep - Salisbury

Yes - On the Silent Wings of Freedom

ELP - Tarkus

Gong - Isle of Everywhere

Caravan - The World Is Yours

Beardfish - Sleeping in Traffic

Renaissance - Carpet of the Sun

The Beatles - Come Together

Camel - Ice

Gentle Giant - The Advent of Panurge

Fleetwood Mac - Silver Springs

Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond

King Crimson - Larks Tongues in Aspic (part 1)

Yes - Yours is No Disgrace

Supertramp - Breakfast in America

Soft Machine - Lullaby Letter

Led Zeppelin - Achilles Last Stand

Styx - Born for Adventure

Astra - The Weirding

Camel - Drafted

King Crimson - Thela Hun Ginjeet

East of Eden - Centaur Woman

Ozric Tentacles - Tight Spin

Gong - Witch's Song/I Am Your Pussy

Supertramp - Goodbye Stranger

The Beatles - Revolution

Genesis - The Knife

Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill

Camel - La Princesse Perdue

The Who - Dr. Jimmy

Led Zeppelin - No Quarter

Genesis - The Musical Box

Jethro Tull - Aqualung

Pink Floyd - Waiting for the Worms

Yes - No Opportunity Necessary, No Experience Needed

Fleetwood Mac - The Chain

Camel - Summer Lightning

Styx - Rockin' the Paradise

Hawkwind - Magnu

Frank Zappa - Willie the Pimp

Uriah Heep - Love Machine

Genesis - In the Cage

The Moody Blues - Question

Renaissance - Song of Scheherazade

King Crimson - The Great Deceiver

Supertramp - School

Yes - Ritual/Nous Sommes du Solei

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing

Cat Stevens - Sitting

Eagles - Already Gone

Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother

Gentle Giant - Proclamation

Genesis - The Cinema Show

Renaissance - The Vultures Fly High

Led Zeppelin - Good Time Bad Times

UK - In the Dead of Night

Styx - Movement for the Common Man

Hatfield and the North - Rifferama

Gong - Tropical Fish

Beardfish - South of the Border

Eagles - Peaceful Easy Feeling

Yes - Machine Messiah

Porcupine Tree - Halo

Pink Floyd - Dogs

The Moody Blues - I Know You're Out There Somewhere

Cat Stevens - Father and Son

Caravan - Aristocracy

Simon and Garfunkel - Mrs. Robinson

Ozric Tentacles - Astro Cortex

Neal Morse - Overture No. 1

Gentle Giant - In a Glass House

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells (part 1)

UK - Rendezvous 6:02

Van der Graaf Generator - Lost

Gong - Radio Gnome Invisible

Soft Machine - Why Are We Sleeping?

Eagles - Desperado

Gentle Giant - Experience

The Who - Baba O'Riley

Simon and Garfunkel - The Boxer

Boston - Foreplay/Long Time

Eagles - Life in the Fast Lane

King Crimson - Cat Food

The Moody Blues - Tuesday Afternoon

ELP - The Endless Enigma

East of Eden - Nymphenberger

The Beatles - Taxman

Fleetwood Mac - Blue Letter

Boston - Peace of Mind

Very cool list! We obviously have a LOT in common musically, save for your love of The Eagles and Styx, which I will politely ignore. :P

I was very happy to see groups like Gong, Ozric Tentacles, The Soft Machine, East of Eden, Astra, UK, Camel, Caravan, Simon & Garfunkel and Cat Stevens well represented (though I personally am not a big fan of the Foreigner Suite). Other song choices were similarly odd for me like Taxman and Cat Food and I Know You're Out There Somewhere - great songs by great groups, but each of those groups has a couple of dozen songs or so I'd rate much higher. Nice call on Willie The Pimp - Zappa and Beefheart working together!

I wouldn't mind seeing your list that DID include Rush and more obscure bands as you alluded to. ;)

I've tried to make and posts my "top songs/albums" lists like these before... I just cannot do it.. If you ask me to list my top 100 songs I would list 300 songs worthy of such praise, or to list a top 25 albums, I would come up with 100 worthy of that praise... And trying to whittle them down is an impossible task..

I like a lot of different music for a lot of different reasons, so putting one song ahead of another makes me second guess myself... " Did I really put this album of that one?" "I like this song more, but that other song is better..how should I rank that?" "I love dozens of these artists and want them represented, but only 3 artists are dominating my top 15!!!"

I've tried and tried to make a best or favorites list, but it's too damn hard... Goobs, I pity the hours you spent trying to sort through mounds of polished gold to try and sort it out by the shiniest.

See, but we're very similar! I would love to see you attempt a top 100 and come up with 300! That's why I come up with insane lists that contain 500 songs, because 100 just isn't near enough! I always have at least 25 albums in my top 10 album list - I just pretend I meant to come up with 25 instead of admitting complete failure at coming up with only 10. :P

Even my recent favorite Pink Floyd song list was originally going to be only 10 songs, but by the time I finished with it there were 50. Admittedly, getting from 57 to 50 is really hard, or getting from 719 to 500 is really hard. At some point I do cut it off to make a nice round number, but it doesn't have to be that way. And I think it's understood with any of these kinds of lists that it's a snapshot in time and a rough estimate of the truth. I wish I could have done a top 500 in order, but that was just too damn hard. At least I put the top 25 in order, even though those songs can and do move around quite a bit. I'd rather have a far from perfect list than no list at all! ;)

Edited by rushgoober

nice list! mostly because it's YOUR list and no one can bitch and argue about it! lol

I cringe when I see a list claiming BEST bands or GREATEST songs etc.. everybody has their own list because music is art (subjective)

:cheers: