Emotion Detector--Am I hearing Things?

Gemari77

Hey folks,

I'm just asking, to either confirm or deny that I'm hearing things...

I love the song Emotion Detector. I've listened to it for years and years and years.... over and over.

Just now, I was listening to it and for the first time, I heard a harmony part sung that I never heard before in the 1000's of times I've listened to this song.

During the part where Geddy sings "Sometimes our big splashes...", I think I'm hearing a higher harmony part being sung---mixed very, very low. Almost inaudible.

Is anyone else hearing this, or is my mind playing tricks on me?

QUOTE (Gemari77 @ Apr 19 2011, 02:15 PM)
Hey folks,

I love the song Emotion Detector. I've listened to it for years and years and years.... over and over.

Just now, I was listening to it and for the first time, I heard a harmony part sung that I never heard before in the 1000's of times I've listened to this song.

During the part where Geddy sings "Sometimes our big splashes...", I think I'm hearing a higher harmony part being sung---mixed very, very low. Almost inaudible.

I will go listen now. I love when I hear new things from Rush, after I have been listening to them since 1976.

I listened to it and ran it through foobar. It's hard to tell but it just looks like he's simply harmonizing with himself. That doesn't mean overdub, it just means he's harmonizing with himself. He's done it with a lot of pieces, especially with earlier ones so I wouldn't be surprised.

QUOTE (FourthmemberofRush @ Apr 19 2011, 05:55 PM)
QUOTE (Gemari77 @ Apr 19 2011, 02:15 PM)
Hey folks,

I will go listen now. I love when I hear new things from Rush, after I have been listening to them since 1976.

Best part about being a rush fan.

QUOTE (usb_connector @ Apr 19 2011, 05:06 PM)
I listened to it and ran it through foobar. It's hard to tell but it just looks like he's simply harmonizing with himself. That doesn't mean overdub, it just means he's harmonizing with himself. He's done it with a lot of pieces, especially with earlier ones so I wouldn't be surprised.

wtf.gif

It's very hard to tell. Not sure what to make of it. With that being said, I love when discovering things like this. After tinkering around on my computer and found a song enhancer, I discovered a higher part right after the chorus ("I'll be around, if you don't push me down too far...") of Cold Fire. It reinvigorated the entire song for me, and now I know why Geddy sang like that during the chorus on the Counterparts tour. I find it better than the lower part. I digress, though.

QUOTE (Perchance to Dream @ Apr 19 2011, 10:19 PM)

wtf.gif

Some singers can cause multiple partials to emerge at once. This is usually due to vocal damage but others can train themselves to do it intentionally. Look at 2112 and the Armageddon section of Hemispheres. Throw it into a spectrogram (this works with the early live performances of 2112 as well) and you'll see multiple partials emerge as Ged sings.

QUOTE (usb_connector @ Apr 19 2011, 07:29 PM)

wtf.gif

Some singers can cause multiple partials to emerge at once. This is usually due to vocal damage but others can train themselves to do it intentionally. Look at 2112 and the Armageddon section of Hemispheres. Throw it into a spectrogram (this works with the early live performances of 2112 as well) and you'll see multiple partials emerge as Ged sings.

Multiple partials on Emotion Detector?

QUOTE (Perchance to Dream @ Apr 19 2011, 10:50 PM)

wtf.gif

This is a screenshot of the spectrogram of "Sometimes our big splashes are just ripples in the pool." I'm fairly sure the top is the left speaker and the bottom is the right. Ged's vocals are much clearer on the top one. Looks like there may be some harmony on the world splashes, but I'm not sure about the rest. There are some lines that kinda parallel the partials we hear Geddy singing, but I'm not sure if it's him or on an instrument.

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/895/spect.png

QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Apr 19 2011, 10:28 PM)
After tinkering around on my computer and found a song enhancer, I discovered a higher part right after the chorus ("I'll be around, if you don't push me down too far...") of Cold Fire. It reinvigorated the entire song for me, and now I know why Geddy sang like that during the chorus on the Counterparts tour. I find it better than the lower part. I digress, though.

Funny...I noticed that right away. It really adds to the song imo.

QUOTE (usb_connector @ Apr 19 2011, 08:02 PM)

wtf.gif

This is a screenshot of the spectrogram of "Sometimes our big splashes are just ripples in the pool." I'm fairly sure the top is the left speaker and the bottom is the right. Ged's vocals are much clearer on the top one. Looks like there may be some harmony on the world splashes, but I'm not sure about the rest. There are some lines that kinda parallel the partials we hear Geddy singing, but I'm not sure if it's him or on an instrument.

Gotcha.

I've got this sinking feeling that I've stepped into one of SnowCat's traps.

What's the alias policy on this board?

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Perchance to Dream @ Apr 19 2011, 11:21 PM)
QUOTE (usb_connector @ Apr 19 2011, 08:02 PM)

wtf.gif

Gotcha.

biggrin.gif

I'm unsure, but I can assure you that I have no alias on this board.

QUOTE (Perchance to Dream @ Apr 19 2011, 10:21 PM)

'Snowcat's Traps' - Sounds like a Rush song.

As far as the song goes, there are many type of harmonizers that don't require doubling tracks. Sometimes they're used to function as background singers, sometimes for effect. I know a popular method is to apply an octave shift to the reverb only, up on the left, down on the right. Lots of cool things to do with harmonizers. Geddy seems to be a fan.

QUOTE (usb_connector @ Apr 19 2011, 08:27 PM)

Gotcha.

biggrin.gif

I'm unsure, but I can assure you that I have no alias on this board.

I hear where you're coming from, usb; but I'm not hearing overtone on that particular track.

Oh, and I apologize if you took offense to the alias jab. I thought I was being fished when I replied to your post.

:cheer:

Archived