Cameras?

Itty12

I really apologize if this has been mentioned recently. For that I'm sorry.

What kind of cameras will be allowed into the concerts? What cameras will be confiscated? Im planning on taking a Sony Handycam for pictures and a couple videos of my favorite songs. if it's not allowed, how can I sneak past security without getting caught?

Thanks!

Depends on the venue, which concert are you attending?

Also, I have a handycam myself and the thing shuts down in extremely loud areas to protect the mic. Odds are yours will be shutting down during the concert. If it turns out you can bring the handycam, I'd test it with a home theater system or something to make sure you aren't bringing it for nothing.

I've got 3rd row, center for the Portland (actually Ridgefield, Washington just north of Portland) show 6/28 and want to take a LOT of pics. I am assuming that a standard digital camera will be acceptable (non-professional without attachable lenses). Any knowledgable feedback on this would be greatly appreciated!!

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Mar 23 2011, 02:12 PM)
I've got 3rd row, center for the Portland (actually Ridgefield, Washington just north of Portland) show 6/28 and want to take a LOT of pics. I am assuming that a standard digital camera will be acceptable (non-professional without attachable lenses). Any knowledgable feedback on this would be greatly appreciated!!

Read your ticket. It will say what is & isn't allowed at that particular venue. If it says "no cameras", then respect that, especially if you'll be in the 3rd row. Yeah, it's not hard to sneak one in and lots of people do, but I've seen both Geddy & Alex show their displeasure when someone stands there and snaps pic after pic or shoots long periods of video.

QUOTE (FOH Lights @ Mar 24 2011, 09:38 AM)
QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Mar 23 2011, 02:12 PM)

Read your ticket. It will say what is & isn't allowed at that particular venue. If it says "no cameras", then respect that, especially if you'll be in the 3rd row. Yeah, it's not hard to sneak one in and lots of people do, but I've seen both Geddy & Alex show their displeasure when someone stands there and snaps pic after pic or shoots long periods of video.

Frankly I wouldn't mind if they were banned entirely, or limited to the old-school kind where you actually have to hold the viewfinder up to your eye. (Flame suit zipped - have at me).

It got a bit old last time out peering at the band through a sea of outstretched cameras and phones. And I had a great seat.

These days it's a crazy situation.

I'd wager that they won't allow anything which is blatantly "a camera" inside the venue, and yet most people's cell phones now have picture-taking and short movie-taking capabilities... and they allow those in. fing.gif

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Mar 23 2011, 01:12 PM)

Why don't you just take a FEW and actually watch and enjoy what is gonig on in front of you in real live 3D?

Prediction: Your 399 photos will be looked at once, and then just take up space on your hard drive.

QUOTE (rummut71 @ Mar 24 2011, 10:45 AM)

Why don't you just take a FEW and actually watch and enjoy what is gonig on in front of you in real live 3D?

Prediction: Your 399 photos will be looked at once, and then just take up space on your hard drive.

I've often thought the same - I don't want to miss a single aspect of the performance. In the obsession to frame that perfect shot, people are missing the forest for The Trees. (Pun not really intended, but once it was there I couldn't just abandon it).

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 24 2011, 09:25 AM)
These days it's a crazy situation.

I'd wager that they won't allow anything which is blatantly "a camera" inside the venue, and yet most people's cell phones now have picture-taking and short movie-taking capabilities... and they allow those in. fing.gif

That's because most phones picture/video quality is horrible compared to the ones that LOOK like cameras, which take take MUCH better pictures.

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 24 2011, 09:02 AM)
QUOTE (rummut71 @ Mar 24 2011, 10:45 AM)

I've often thought the same - I don't want to miss a single aspect of the performance. In the obsession to frame that perfect shot, people are missing the forest for The Trees. (Pun not really intended, but once it was there I couldn't just abandon it).

Even more mystifying than that is the filmers on their shite cameras on their phones or Flips who watch a Rush show on a 3" screen when the real thing is right there as big as life...

Stay home and watch it on Youtube shot by the other camera idiots... The screen on your computer is bigger than your camera, and someone actually interested in seeing the actual show can use that real estate. wink.gif

QUOTE (rummut71 @ Mar 24 2011, 06:45 AM)

I may well take that advice and only take a few though I can guarentee you if I did take "399 photos", they would be looked at more than one time. 1022.gif

And if it says no cameras on the ticket, I won't likely try to even get one in since I'll stick out like a sore thumb in those seats (and being 6'7" tall on top of it).

Edited by driventotheedge

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 24 2011, 08:46 AM)
Frankly I wouldn't mind if they were banned entirely, or limited to the old-school kind where you actually have to hold the viewfinder up to your eye. (Flame suit zipped - have at me).
It got a bit old last time out peering at the band through a sea of outstretched cameras and phones. And I had a great seat.

While I have snuck a camera in to the last few concerts I have gone to, I completely agree with Mara's point here and have noticed this trend at concerts the last couple of years. When I take videos, I only do it by holding the camera to my chest/right below the neck area and pointing a little up so as not to get in anyone else's line of sight. Even for people callous to the needs and views of others, this way of shooting is recommended as it also avoids the ire of security.

To sum up, I don't think smuggling a camera in your coat or pocket is a big deal at all and go ahead and get a few pictures, but try to be considerate of your fellow concert-goers and don't have your hand raised up very often doing so.

I did it for the Muse concert so I could remember the lineup (so I just recorded a few seconds of the chorus), however I did take photos and I snagged some awesome shots. Why? It was my first Muse show, I had waited a decade, and now looking back it is an AWESOME experience to relive via the photos. Will I do it again (take photos)? Hell no. I'm debating about taking my camera to the O2, but for New Orleans I know New Orleans is pretty lax (I mean Bourbon... there are no words what I have seen down there). So, maybe no camera for the O2, but perhaps I'll bring my tiny camera for the New Orleans show. I don't know. I'd like a few shots to remember the experience, but I want to just experience the show as is.

I mean, these are my first Rush shows! wub.gif wub.gif