Ideas on meeting the band?

tapermike

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 3 2011, 04:04 PM)
QUOTE (rummut71 @ Mar 3 2011, 01:21 PM)
Mail yourself to the venue with a postage paid return envelope...

Do not forget air holes...Air holes!!

Important tips! yes.gif

yes.gif especially the postage paid return envelope.

I got to meet Geddy back in 1988 when he was promoting Hold Your Fire. I was working in a studio where syndicated radio programs were recorded and Ged was in to do an interview with Scott Muni. After the session he signed an album for me and spoke to me for a few minutes. I have never forgotten that day.

Last year, I was fortunate to be able to attend the premiere of Beyond the Lighted Stage in NY. I sat in the front row and was like 5 feet away from Geddy and Alex as they spoke before the film (I had a better seat than Sebastian Bach :-). I had really hoped that they would take the opportunity to meet and greet some fans at the premiere but I understand why they didn't.

As a fan, I respect their privacy and appreciate that they do all the things that they do for fans (like signing the things that their fans send to them, which is more than most bands do) but lets face it, they don't owe their fans anything...their body of work is their gift to all of us :-)

QUOTE (Barry @ Mar 3 2011, 11:45 PM)
I got to meet Geddy back in 1988 when he was promoting Hold Your Fire. I was working in a studio where syndicated radio programs were recorded and Ged was in to do an interview with Scott Muni. After the session he signed an album for me and spoke to me for a few minutes. I have never forgotten that day.

Last year, I was fortunate to be able to attend the premiere of Beyond the Lighted Stage in NY. I sat in the front row and was like 5 feet away from Geddy and Alex as they spoke before the film (I had a better seat than Sebastian Bach :-). I had really hoped that they would take the opportunity to meet and greet some fans at the premiere but I understand why they didn't.

As a fan, I respect their privacy and appreciate that they do all the things that they do for fans (like signing the things that their fans send to them, which is more than most bands do) but lets face it, they don't owe their fans anything...their body of work is their gift to all of us :-)

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (glennb2112 @ Mar 4 2011, 01:35 PM)
JUST HAVE TO GET LUCKY..I'M DEFINATELY NOT "IN THE KNOW"

The pics in your sig say otherwise. You know something that you managed to do right for 2 consecutive tours. I'd like to win a m&g with them, just so I can thank them for making epic music and to take a picture with them.

QUOTE (usb_connector @ Mar 4 2011, 02:21 PM)
QUOTE (glennb2112 @ Mar 4 2011, 01:35 PM)
JUST HAVE TO GET LUCKY..I'M DEFINATELY  NOT "IN THE KNOW"

The pics in your sig say otherwise. You know something that you managed to do right for 2 consecutive tours. I'd like to win a m&g with them, just so I can thank them for making epic music and to take a picture with them.

i definately dont know anyone. i told my story on the MB on how i got lucky. I wish that others on the board would get the chance to meet them as well.

QUOTE (gregmsws @ Mar 6 2011, 10:24 AM)
What about Meet and Greets- I assume they will sign items- but your almost better of to send the item to get Neil to sign....I'm new here what do you guys think?

I havent been to a meet and greet, but I have heard that they don't sign at them, only take pictures....and it all happens very quickly.

Taking into account that they, as a collective have been pretty private guys since early on, and also considering that over the years several so-called "fans" have stalked, threatened, called, e-mailed, snail-mailed and most heinously shown up INSIDE Neil's BUS, I think it's perfectly acceptable that the guys aren't particularly crazy about meet and greets.

It's nice that Geddy and Alex do them occasionally, but I personally would rather just kinda bump into them on the street. If it happens one day, great for me. If not, oh well. I still have their music to listen to and their shows to see. Also throw in there that their shows are pretty much drunken sausage parties I may be a little hesitant to meet the fanbase as well. Just my opinion.

I tried to get a meet and greet last summer, as a surprise birthday present for my friend. I contacted a local Radio Station manager to see if he knew anything. He said he'd see what he could do. Really nice guy, and I'm incredibly thankful for his effort, though it didn't end up working out.

That's all I got.

QUOTE (Barry @ Mar 6 2011, 09:05 AM)
What about Meet and Greets- I assume they will sign items- but your almost better of to send the item to get Neil to sign....I'm new here what do you guys think?

I havent been to a meet and greet, but I have heard that they don't sign at them, only take pictures....and it all happens very quickly.

Meet and greets go very quickly and they wont sign anything. I did however get a chance to speak with Geddy and have some great eye contact/face time, which made my dreams come true wub.gif

I've told this story before and at the end it is an EPIC FAIL but why not!

If you want to meet the band have a relative or friend who runs the venue near you.

My brother in law scored Wendy and I and himself some free VIP tickets for the "Vapor Trails" Tour at the Concord Pavilion.

He lived near the guy who used to run the Pavilion and did a lot of work on the dude's house.

In return he gave us these awesome comp VIP tix for RUSH!

The cool thing was we got to park backstage.

We literally pulled up right next to Neil's bus.

His motorcycles were still out of the trailer.

I was blown away yet kept walking into the back trailer house to get the tickets from this guy.

Anyway as Johnny, Wendy and I are walking past Neil's bus with our tix heading for the back entrance I hear this deep voice say "Hey... hello, hello....."

I turned around and I saw this man dressed from neck to foot in all black. He had a red bloated face and black hair slicked back.

IT WAS NEIL!

I thought he was saying "hello" to me so I started to walk up to him.

At that moment Neil froze in time and glared at me. I stopped in my tracks like a deer in headlights.

Neil quickly retreated back onto his bus and shut the door.

I was still blown away.

Of course we all know the man is a recluse but I still have that memory of "meeting" Neil in the back of my head.

It was something I will never forget.

Many think that Neil is a dick, but I respect him for his shyness.

"I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend" just says it all even if it is a broken record to repeat on this Forum.

I have no idea who Neil was saying "hello" too. His security guard Mike wasn't around and there were no Concord Pavilion security guards either.

The whole experience was quite surreal.

Personally I would rather I have this memory than some staged meet and greet moment with Geddy and Alex.

I had a chance to get a meet and greet pass through my local record store Rasputin's way back then as well but it didn't happen.

Life goes on.......

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Mar 16 2011, 09:14 AM)
QUOTE (Barry @ Mar 6 2011, 09:05 AM)

Meet and greets go very quickly and they wont sign anything. I did however get a chance to speak with Geddy and have some great eye contact/face time, which made my dreams come true wub.gif

Cindy!

I'm sure you remember my Neil story!

I don't remember you ever telling me that you met Geddy!

Maybe I forgot!

Hope all is well!

Earl

I am going to do an interview with Alex and/or Geddy in Rotterdam on 27 May.. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (tapermike @ Feb 27 2011, 04:36 PM)
Has anyone had luck in meeting the band during the TMT? I am a long time fan who has had the most difficult time meeting the band. I almost met them in New Orleans in 1992 but seems like they like to "Run From the Fans". In fact this incident inspired my naming the CD "Run From the Fans"

I have met U2, Pearl Jam, and Eric clapton but no Rush.

Help please!

So you are claiming credit for a recording made from a UK broadcast, released by an Italian bootleg company 20 years ago, mistakenly labeled as having taken place in New Orleans?

Right.

You are definitely the sort of fan the band is dying to meet.

Peace,

Ron

QUOTE (jmdyyz @ Mar 21 2011, 04:13 PM)
find there hotel

I met Neil (81)
Ged (81) 2000, 2010
Alex 2010(April & Nov.)

ummm yeah... unless you're already staying there, please don't do that.

On the Creepy & Uncool Scale, that's a high 8.

QUOTE (On TheRoad To Adventure @ Mar 3 2011, 03:00 PM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Mar 3 2011, 01:05 PM)
Please help us who don't understand this terrible obsession of meeting the band by explaining why it is so important to get a personal audience with them...........?

It's peculiar behavior bordering on dillusional.......if I may say.

I look forward to your feedback, thank you in advance.

I have a few theories about this. As human beings, I think we want to get close to those we admire. Why? Because we hope that their fame, wealth, success and perceived happiness will rub off on us. I've read some articles about the phenomenon of obsession with celebrities that agree with me on this point.

Second, in the case of Rush, they are such incredible musicians, and musicians want to meet them because they consider them to be mentors. I found it interesting that when Alex was interviewed a while back, he said that he was really excited to meet Jimmy Page, one of his heroes.

Third, a lot of us just want to be able to say "thank you!" and be acknowledged as fans.

Like I said in my earlier post, I just try to focus on enjoying the band and their incredible music. Even though I would like to meet them, it's important to keep things in perspective. They're just people, after all.

Why do most people want to be close to watch them perform? why are some people gay? Why do some people start a family and regret it later? Why are we here? - ROLL THE BONES