114 Rush songs ranked and reviewed by Kenneth

Mr. Not

66 - Emotion Detector

Really good song, I like the vibey-sounding synth in the intro along with Alex's picking. Alex's solo is so great too. This is also one of those songs where the chorus is the weak point. 8/10

65 - Mission

"I Wish I had that Drive"

"I Hear the Passionate Music, Read the Words that Touch My Heart."

The instrumental bridge is yet another representational Rush moment, especially the part with the keyboard and snare drum corresponding. This makes for a great stand alone song, meaning it explains HYF (though It's not my favorite HYF song). 8/10

64 - Madrigal

I remember some people on this forum said that after hearing this song enough you'd get sick of it. I disagree, it remains a great ballad by them. I also remember a youtube comment on a madrigal video saying something like "A nice, soothing break in AFTK just before the chaotic Cygnus x-1 starts up." That pretty much explains why AFTK has always been one of my top 4 favorite Rush albums, it stands out more than any other Rush album, is great instrumentally, lyrically, and melodically, and is on the verge of being conceptual. 8/10

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drank tea, still can't sleep.. Going to let nature run it's course (yes, by keeping myself awake with the computer tongue.gif ) until I do.

63 - Anthem

"Live for yourself - There's no one else more worth living for"

A kick-ass inspiring Heavy Metal song. As I always say about Best I can, it's a bit douchey, self centered and egotistical which is not a trait in someone I like, but it's certainly a good attitude to have when you're feeling like you need to "get back in the game." 8/10

62 - Show Don't Tell

"Give the Jury Direction Based on the Evidence.. I'm the jury!"

"Hey order in the Court... Let's try and keep this Short"

A fun song that stands out on Presto Pesto for it's heaviness. 8/10

61 - The Spirit of Radio

Alright I know, I know.. It would be higher on your list wacko.gif

It's a good song 8/10

60 - Ghost of a Chance

I like this song better live for some reason.. I can't really listen to it from RTB. I sometimes find it depressing, and sometimes uplifting in a way.

The guitar melodies are fantastic! 8/10

50 - Freeze

Great song - one of my favorite from VT. The intro is savage, and the chorus is energetic & then lovely. 8/10

49 - The Color of Right

Favorite song from T4E, it's a really good rock song with good lyrics and nice melodies.. I compare it with TSoR often, though I'm sure many of you like TSoR much more. 8/10

48 - Chemistry

"Exchange of Energy! ..Reaction making contact - mysteriously.."

Underrated Rush song coming through! The chorus is adaptable, the instruments amazing. This song in general really defines Rush to me, and I have great memories of a nice day at the park associated with this song yes.gif wub.gif 8/10

47 - Stick it Out

"Spit out your anger.. Don't swallow your tongue"

Most "bad-ass" song they've ever written. Love the pull-offs in the main riff new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif 1022.gif 8/10

46 - Lakeside Park

"Though it's just a memory some memories last forever"

I see this as a very calm Rush song. One time I played it in my study class and people found it inappropriate for being too energetic laugh.gif

Beautiful vocal melodies and guitar playing. That's CoS tracks 1, 3, and 5 for you wink.gif 8.5/10

45 - Tom Sawyer

Now, the fact that this is their mainstream song degrades on the value of it for me personally, and I think the lyrics are just decent. No, it's not about getting high, boppers confused13.gif facepalm.gif

The instrumentality is what makes the song so great, love that synth transferring into a guitar solo.. 8.5/10

Edited by Kenneth

44 - How it Is

"You can't tell yourself not to Care.. You can't tell yourself How to Feel."

The lyrics make this song, and the melodies are good too.. All other playing is standard 8.5/10

43 - The Body Electric

ooo funky cool.gif

I really love the way the verses sound 8.5/10

42 - Bravado

"And if the music stops, There's only the Sound of the Rain"

Such a beautiful song cat.gif 8.5/10

41 - Cinderella Man

"Doing what you can.."

Lovely song.. Always loved the mid instrumental part, very fun. 9/10

40 - The Way the Wind Blows

"To them and them and others too.. Who don't seem to see things the way you do"

I'll admit, Since I've found out what the song is about religious wars I've enjoyed it less. I liked it better when I just saw it as a great melodic song with lines that seemed to be philosophy to me (like the one quoted above).. Nonetheless I love Geddy's singing in this song. The chorus is perfect, with some of the most beautiful guitar playing Alex has done since AFTK. 9/10

39 - Beneath, Between & Behind

Now I used to not like this song too much, but now I appreciate it much more. It's one of their fastest songs with great drumming from Peart (like most Rush songs, but in Fly by Night Peart did some notably fast playing). The song jumps all over the place really. 9/10

38 - Circumstances

"A boy alone, so far from home"

"All the Same, We take our Chances."

Screw Turn the Page's bassline, Geddy's playing here is much more impressive whilst singing cool.gif I'd say it's the worst song from Hemispheres but it's from Hemispheres 9/10

37 - Turn the Page

Well Well Well, speaking of which..

I like the message of this song, it's a lot like peaceable kingdom.. In addition to that, it's got great synth followed by awesome guitar picking in the chorus. 9/10

36 - Limelight

"Living in the Limelight the Universal Dream"

This is my Friday song cool.gif 9/10

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Feb 7 2011, 02:49 AM)
QUOTE (Kenneth @ Feb 6 2011, 06:11 PM)
QUOTE (IChoseFreeWill @ Feb 6 2011, 04:49 PM)
What do you mean Limelight is only 36? I would expect it to be in pretty much every Rush fan's top 10.

Hey, what can I say, I chose freewill cool.gif tongue.gif

I don't think Limelight would even make my top 100

Are you serious!?!?!

Edited by TodaysTomSawyer

35 - Hand over Fist

Not the best lyrics I'll admit but it has really good rhythm & melody. smile.gif 9/10

34 - Jacob's Ladder

On the verge of heavy metal 1022.gif

Great playing by alex and then the rest of the song is just a synthy adventure, ohmy.gif which isn't always so exciting considering the climax is at the beginning of the song, but oh well. 9/10

33 - Digital Man

He's got a force field and a flexible plan

He's got a date with fate in a black sedan

He plays fast forward just as long as he can

But he won't need a bed

He's a digital man

Now what can I say, I used to like New World Man better than this song but this did grow on me. For the first 40+ listens, this song was pretty boring for me, but over time it's gotten better. What a fine wine cool.gif 9/10

114 - twilight zone

113 - the weapon

112 - nobody's hero

111 - limbo

110 - I think I'm going bald

109 - faithless

108 - everyday glory

107 - entre nous

106 - second nature

105 - the necromancer

104 - resist

103 - dog years

102 - good news first

101 - dreamline

100 - roll the bones

099 - presto

098 - virtuality

097 - hope

096 - bravest face

095 - animate

094 - spindrift

093 - totem

092 - the stars look down

091 - manhattan project

090 - avaliable light

089 - open secrets

088 - closer to the heart

087 - red tide

086 - best i can

085 - witch hunt

084 - rivendell

083 - time stand still

082 - the big money

081 - grand designs

080 - one little victory

079 - leave that thing alone

078 - working them angels

077 - something for nothing

076 - lessons

075 - armor and sword

074 - the big wheel

073 - superconductor

072 - chain lightning

071 - a passage to bangkok

070 - double agent

069 - between sun & moon

068 - cut to the chase

067 - the pass

066 - emotion detector

065 - mission

064 - madrigal

063 - anthem

062 - show don't tell

061 - the spirit of radio

060 - ghost of a chance

059 - losing it

058 - driven

057 - peacable kingdom

056 - new world man

055 - territories

054 - secret touch

053 - fly by night

052 - vapor trails

051 - red lenses

050 - freeze

049 - the color of right

048 - chemistry

047 - stick it out

046 - lakeside park

045 - tom sawyer

044 - how it is

043 - the body electric

042 - bravado

041 - cinderella man

040 - the way the wind blows

039 - beneath, between & behind

038 - circumstances

037 - turn the page

036 - limelight

035 - hand over fist

034 - jacob's ladder

033 - digital man

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Feb 8 2011, 09:17 PM)

34 - Jacob's Ladder
On the verge of heavy metal 1022.gif
Great playing by alex and then the rest of the song is just a synthy adventure, ohmy.gif which isn't always so exciting considering the climax is at the beginning of the song, but oh well. 9/10

This song sounds very Genesis-y to me. Makes me think of The Battle Of Epping Forest in some ways... cool.gif

30 - Freewill

"A planet of play things, we Dance on the strings"

Outstanding playing by every band member in this song.. 9/10

29 - Distant Early Warning

Standard Rush synth song.. I love the main synth line which is just before the chorus. And as all GUP songs, the solo is fantastic! 9.5/10

28 - Lock and Key

Another great guitar solo, one of my all time favorites. This follows the social/personal concept of HYF, this one focusing on sociology & societies view on murder. I love it cool.gif 9.5/10

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jan 27 2011, 03:55 AM)

71 - A Passage to Bangkok
I really don't like the lyrics, this is the Rush song that the big time stoner's have stolen, along with Tom Sawyer, just because the words smoke or high are used.. The guitar playing is really the only reason I'd listen to this song. 7.5/10

"The Rush song the big time stoners have stolen"?? Seriously dude? (by the way, the word "stoners" is plural and thus no need for the apostrophe as in your original post.....how'd that education work for ya man?). Um, do you get the double meanings of the entire song? Shit Neil wrote the lyrics as a stoner/marijuana song, it hasn't been "stolen" by stoners. Thus a line like "we only stop for the best".

One other thing, Dreamline kicks ass and your rating for it is too low. Of course ratings are subject to personal opinion so that's just mine. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Feb 13 2011, 11:36 PM)

I really don't like the lyrics, this is the Rush song that the big time stoner's have stolen, along with Tom Sawyer, just because the words smoke or high are used.. The guitar playing is really the only reason I'd listen to this song. 7.5/10

"The Rush song the big time stoners have stolen"?? Seriously dude? (by the way, the word "stoners" is plural and thus no need for the apostrophe as in your original post.....how'd that education work for ya man?). Um, do you get the double meanings of the entire song? Shit Neil wrote the lyrics as a stoner/marijuana song, it hasn't been "stolen" by stoners. Thus a line like "we only stop for the best".

One other thing, Dreamline kicks ass and your rating for it is too low. Of course ratings are subject to personal opinion so that's just mine. biggrin.gif

Sorry.

(BTW I have dyslexia... So be an ass hole, that's fine..)

Edited by Kenneth

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Feb 14 2011, 02:47 AM)

Sorry.

Dyslexia causes a person to read things and see words out of order/backwards and has nothing to do with placing an apostrophe where it doesn't belong. Apostrophe's indicate ownership of the subject that follows. For example, "Neil's drumkit kicks ass." The drumkit belongs to Neil.

That was not the gist of my post and I admit to being a smart ass and I apologize. However, I stand by my original statement that you simply have not understood what Passage To Bangkok is about and that it was written from a "stoner's" point of view and not hijacked by stoners and taken as their own. I doubt Neil smokes much weed anymore, if he does at all, but it's obviously something he enjoyed as a younger man as many of us did.

Edited by driventotheedge

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Feb 14 2011, 12:03 PM)
QUOTE (Kenneth @ Feb 14 2011, 02:47 AM)

Sorry.

Dyslexia causes a person to read things and see words out of order/backwards and has nothing to do with placing an apostrophe where it doesn't belong. Apostrophe's indicate ownership of the subject that follows. For example, "Neil's drumkit kicks ass." The drumkit belongs to Neil.

That was not the gist of my post and I admit to being a smart ass and I apologize. However, I stand by my original statement that you simply have not understood what Passage To Bangkok is about and that it was written from a "stoner's" point of view and not hijacked by stoners and taken as their own. I doubt Neil smokes much weed anymore, if he does at all, but it's obviously something he enjoyed as a younger man as many of us did.

Well whether it's caused by my dyslexia or not, you'll see that I have trouble with writing here.. Half of my posts end up being edited laugh.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jan 22 2011, 06:16 AM)
QUOTE (StuartBruce @ Jan 22 2011, 04:52 AM)
Animate, Dreamline, Manhattan Project, CTTH, Availible Light should all be in the top half - seriously

I know it is just personal taste and opinion, but c'mon what are your criteria?

While I would put all of those songs in the top half of my list, this list reflects his opinions on Rush's catalog. Whether his opinion deviates from the norm is another matter, but it doesn't make his opinion any less valid.

Sure it does. tongue.gif

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Feb 14 2011, 10:14 PM)
QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Feb 14 2011, 09:47 PM)
[stirring the pot]Hmm...I don't think apostrophe's should have an apostrophe in it.[/stirring the pot]  tongue.gif  bolt.gif

You're right laugh.gif Irony at its finest!

It was done on purpose to see if anyone picked it up. You win. biggrin.gif trink39.gif