bytor- from fly by night

bytor- from rush in rio

bytor- from all the world's a stage

the weapon

armor and sword

mission

freeze

closer to the heart- from exit...stage left

my initial motive was simply having the 2 new tracks (my god they are fantastic songs) in the car and just throwing a few other tracks on the cd so as not to "waste" a cd...BUT

the more i listen to bytor, the more i hear things i've never heard beofore.

specifically- the battle that goes on metaphorically/musically during the guitar solo...lifeson is such a god damned freak on this track- you can hear snow dog slashing at his foe in an all-out battle to the death. guts spilling, feet stomping...i've heard that song a million times, but never heard the battle.

god i love rush.

ByTor and the Snowdog is among my favorite songs. I think the quiet period during the live ATWAS version is probably the best Alex solo I've ever heard.

Adore this song!! I really do. (:

I think it's among their best compositions. Just the way it's pieced together is brilliant. It tells a story without saying a single word in parts. This is probably my favourite song on FBN -- and for good reason.

I've been listening to this track alot lately myself. Not that I thought it wasn't good before but I'm really paying attention to it more now and its soo soo awesome! I like the live version from 'All the World's A Stage" the most. I think Alex's guitar work in that version is amazing especially during the battle section. It reminds me a bit of something David Gilmour would do...sounds very Floyd-esque or more so, it sounds like when Jimmy Page plays his guitar with the bow..its just a nice sound to my ears biggrin.gif

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Dec 11 2010, 03:45 PM)
ok, so here's a little mix tape i made for the car:

caravan
bu2b
bytor- from fly by night
bytor- from rush in rio
the weapon
armor and sword
mission
freeze

my initial motive was simply having the 2 new tracks (my god they are fantastic songs) in the car and just throwing a few other tracks on the cd so as not to "waste" a cd...BUT

specifically- the battle that goes on metaphorically/musically during the guitar solo...lifeson is such a god damned freak on this track- you can hear snow dog slashing at his foe in an all-out battle to the death. guts spilling, feet stomping...i've heard that song a million times, but never heard the battle.

god i love rush.

I made a similar mix the other day to get the new songs on a cd to listen to as well... and it turned out to be a 3 disc epic compilation spanning their career. HAHA.

Disc 1

Finding My Way

Need Some Love

In The Mood

Working Man

Fly By Night

Anthem

Best I Can

By Tor And The Snow Dog

Beneath, Between and Behind

Bastille Day

Lakeside Park

I Think Im Going Bald

A Passage To Bangkok

The Twilight Zone

Lessons

Tears

Something For Nothing

Disc 2

2112 (Complete Song)

Closer To The Heart

Xanadu

Cygnus X-1

The Trees

Circumstances

La Villa Strangiato

Freewill

The Spirit of Radio

Entre Nous

Disc 3

Tom Sawyer

Limelight

Red Barchetta

YYZ

New World Man

Subdivisions

Distant Early Warning

Time Stand Still

Bravado

Dreamline

Roll The Bones

Animate

One Little Victory

Far Cry

Caravan

BU2B

I couldve easily made 4 discs worth of my favorite Rush songs but I only had 3 CD-R's left lol so i had to cut alot out.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 11 2010, 03:54 PM)
ByTor and the Snowdog is among my favorite songs. I think the quiet period during the live ATWAS version is probably the best Alex solo I've ever heard.

I was listening to the most excellent St. Louis 1980 bootleg yesterday in the car...By-Tor in particular sounds amazing!!! Awesome song, and let's not forget Neil's drumming in that one.

QUOTE (mmclarney @ Dec 13 2010, 10:28 AM)

I was listening to the most excellent St. Louis 1980 bootleg yesterday in the car...By-Tor in particular sounds amazing!!! Awesome song, and let's not forget Neil's drumming in that one.

I was thinking the same exact thing while listening to this today. :D

Kind of in a, "Wow, he's got some cool licks in there" (or whatever you call a drum 'lick') way. Really a great song that highlights all three of their respective talents.

And is it just me, or does this song remind anyone of the battle between Beowulf and Grendel (obviously in the book Beowulf)? By-Tor, obviously, being Grendel and the Snow Dog being Beowulf. Of course, I have an unhealthy obsession with Grendel because I'm strange like that, but the similarities are kind of interesting.

QUOTE (mmclarney @ Dec 13 2010, 11:28 AM)

This version is TOPS! Although it is abbreviated...

Then again, that boot destroys a lot of stuff they officially released.

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Dec 11 2010, 03:45 PM)
ok, so here's a little mix tape i made for the car:

caravan
bu2b
bytor- from fly by night
bytor- from rush in rio
the weapon
armor and sword
mission
freeze

god i love rush.

Make sure you pack that bowl well before listening to those new songs.

QUOTE (rummut71 @ Dec 13 2010, 06:24 PM)
QUOTE (mmclarney @ Dec 13 2010, 11:28 AM)

This version is TOPS! Although it is abbreviated...

Then again, that boot destroys a lot of stuff they officially released.

Agreed! Much fuller sound compared to ATWAS or ESL, in my opinion. Especially the bottom end. And it's a drum-heavy mix, which I tend to prefer, being a drummer and all. biggrin.gif

And the band was so TIGHT. Personally, I think performance wise, the band was at their peak in the PeW era. This boot is a great example of that.

Archived