Which DIRECTOR can't you get into?

Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 18 2010, 07:36 AM)
QUOTE (BellaCheval @ Nov 17 2010, 11:24 PM)
I'll have to say M Night Shalyman. I liked a couple of his movies but for the most part they just don't catch my attention. I can't put my finger on why exactly.

Does this f*cker even have fans anymore, outside his mother?

He started strong, but with continually diminishing returns, many people, myself included, just stopped paying attention.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 18 2010, 03:03 PM)
I'll have to say M Night Shalyman. I liked a couple of his movies but for the most part they just don't catch my attention. I can't put my finger on why exactly.

He started strong, but with continually diminishing returns, many people, myself included, just stopped paying attention.

Devil was excellent. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 18 2010, 03:04 PM)
I'll take much shit for this but...John Carpenter is WAY overrated. atickhum.gif

I can see this. I surely thought he was pretty strong in the earliest days...but he's not done much in the past 20 or so years to interest me, really. He's made about 5 or 6 films I really dig and the rest...not so much.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 18 2010, 01:47 PM)
I'll take much shit for this but...John Carpenter is WAY overrated. atickhum.gif

I can see this. I surely thought he was pretty strong in the earliest days...but he's not done much in the past 20 or so years to interest me, really. He's made about 5 or 6 films I really dig and the rest...not so much.

He's directed alot of very average films. But he also directed The Thing, Starman, Escape From New York, Christine and Halloween.

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 18 2010, 01:05 PM)

He just wrote that one, didn't direct it.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Nov 18 2010, 03:51 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 18 2010, 01:47 PM)

He's directed alot of very average films. But he also directed The Thing, Starman, Escape From New York, Christine and Halloween.

I'd add The Fog to that, which I really enjoyed. But yeah...that's pretty much where it ends for me.

+1

The guy is pure shite. His popularity is a perfect example of the emperor's new clothes syndrome gone global...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 18 2010, 03:24 PM)

+1

The guy is pure shite. His popularity is a perfect example of the emperor's new clothes syndrome gone global...

Pure shite is an understatement. That "Airbender" movie should be put in a fukking blender.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Nov 18 2010, 05:51 PM)

+1

Pure shite is an understatement. That "Airbender" movie should be put in a fukking blender.

Aye...

trink38.gif

I can't stand that man. I also hate his movies. He has a very high opinion of himself. I saw 2 of his movies. They both stank to high hell. Never again. He is the most overrated, untalented director ever.

I disagreed with these choices though: Tim Burton, Martin Scorsese, Woody Allen

But different strokes for different folks, I guess.

QUOTE (Boots @ Nov 18 2010, 04:00 PM)

I can't stand that man. I also hate his movies. He has a very high opinion of himself. I saw 2 of his movies. They both stank to high hell. Never again. He is the most overrated, untalented director ever.

I disagreed with these choices though: Tim Burton, Martin Scorsese, Woody Allen

But different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I love Tim Burton, but that Alice movie SUCKED!

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 18 2010, 03:54 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Nov 18 2010, 05:51 PM)

+1

Aye...

trink38.gif

trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif

QUOTE (Boots @ Nov 18 2010, 04:00 PM)

Which two movies did you see? That makes a big difference as they differ wildly in quality. I love his The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs and The Village (some people hate The Village though confused13.gif ). The Lady in the Water was terrible, and The Happening was even worse. I didn't bother with Airbender at that point.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 18 2010, 05:53 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Nov 18 2010, 01:05 PM)

He just wrote that one, didn't direct it.

Well, at least he can still do something well. It was an interesting story.

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Nov 18 2010, 06:10 PM)
For Tarentino haters -

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_gESD1wkyrz8/Sma8MmSG1aI/AAAAAAAAEGo/gT0lJO1yzFg/s400/uma+square+2.jpg

Pretty much laugh.gif

Don't be squares, guys cool.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 17 2010, 02:01 PM)

Tarantino's another one. Too much unnecessary violence and style for the sake of style. No thanks.

Tarantino even said himself:

"If I make a movie that EVERYONE likes, I'm doing something wrong. I try to make SPECIFIC gourmet dishes. If I do that right, its going to turn as much off as it will on. Some will love it some will hate it. If I gather a lot of haters, I know I'm doing something wrong.

However, if everyone hates you, thats a problem."

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Alex @ Nov 18 2010, 06:53 PM)
For Tarentino haters -

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_gESD1wkyrz8/Sma8MmSG1aI/AAAAAAAAEGo/gT0lJO1yzFg/s400/uma+square+2.jpg

Pretty much laugh.gif

Or rectangles even.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 18 2010, 09:52 PM)
QUOTE (Alex @ Nov 18 2010, 06:53 PM)
For Tarentino haters -

Pretty much laugh.gif

Or rectangles even.

Thats even worse.

Those are lazy squares ph34r.gif

I don't get him to be honest...

Gotta go with most others and say M Night. The Sixth Sense was just alright-everyone praised that f*ckin' movie to the high heavens when it was released. Big deal it had a "twist" ending that you saw coming if you paid attention in the beginning. Each movie after that just got and keeps getting worse. How does this asshole hack still get funding for his abominations? You're not Hitchcock so stop giving yourself cameos in your own films! On another note, I do like Tim Burton and happen to think Big Fish and Ed Wood are his best films. Agree with the others who say he needs to stop with the remakes already bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Nov 19 2010, 03:13 AM)
Gotta go with most others and say M Night. The Sixth Sense was just alright-everyone praised that f*ckin' movie to the high heavens when it was released. Big deal it had a "twist" ending that you saw coming if you paid attention in the beginning.

That's easy to say after you've seen it once. wink.gif

Each movie after that just got and keeps getting worse. How does this asshole hack still get funding for his abominations? You're not Hitchcock so stop giving yourself cameos in your own films!

I know some others here will agree with me that "Unbreakable" is his best film. A very unique take on the superhero story. "Signs" was also very well crafted, but not at the same level as his first two films -- and with that film, he completely emptied his bottle of rocket sauce. It's like he completely forgot how to make a movie after that. I too can't figure out how he's still getting greenlit for his films after four bombs in a row.

On another note, I do like Tim Burton and happen to think Big Fish and Ed Wood are his best films. Agree with the others who say he needs to stop with the remakes already bekloppt.gif

I liked "Ed Wood" a lot too. Other than that, add Burton to my list of overrated directors. The guy is all style, no substance. Yes, Tim, you like Johnny Depp and gothic set design/art direction. We get it. Enough already.

IMO, of course.