Official Joe Bonamassa Thread

Maverick

Just saw him today for the first time! 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

He's incredible live! And his backing band kicks ass as well. He played a few songs from the new album (which I bought but haven't listened to yet). My favorites were Sloe Gin, Last Kiss, The Ballad of John Henry, Dust Bowl, and Driving Towards The Daylight. The only song that I wish he played but didn't was Around the Bend. All in all, it was a great show. The only problem was the vocals and keys were a little buried in the mix during some of the heavier moments but it didn't take away from the show. I tried to get some pictures but they didn't come out well so I gave up and just enjoyed the show.

Hes awesome saw him 2x great! I just waited through Letterman to watch him then he was only on for like 2 seconds rage.gif. God David Letterman is so unfunny

QUOTE (jesse2112 @ May 22 2012, 11:06 AM)
Hes awesome saw him 2x great! I just waited through Letterman to watch him then he was only on for like 2 seconds rage.gif. God David Letterman is so unfunny

Me too. I was really pissed since I hate Letterman.

Joe on Facebook this morning:

The Syracuse New Times says " I lack passion for my music ,don't respect my band members and I haven't payed my dues." I cannot tell you how offensive this is to both myself my family, my band and all of you who know me. I really find it amusing that the only reviews I get of this nature are in or around my hometown. (Ex: that moron in Albany) . To sum up.. Jessica Novak you suck and so does the Syracuse New Times for printing that. We are done.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 24 2012, 05:10 PM)
Joe on Facebook this morning:

The Syracuse New Times says " I lack passion for my music ,don't respect my band members and I haven't payed my dues." I cannot tell you how offensive this is to both myself my family, my band and all of you who know me. I really find it amusing that the only reviews I get of this nature are in or around my hometown. (Ex: that moron in Albany) . To sum up.. Jessica Novak you suck and so does the Syracuse New Times for printing that. We are done.

Brilliant. Too many artist ignore bad reviews, but Joe goes as far as to name and shame them publicly. Not to mention the fact that that review was personal, very little to do with his music. Go Joe!

In the end the review was actually pretty good (he's a good player), but I think mostly he's peeved that his passion and treatment of bandmates are questioned. It's the age of instantly published response, so I'm neither surprised nor disappointed that he did in this case. That's just how things are done in this day and age.

Standing up for your integrity and relationship with your band is a worthwhile endeavor, I think. I'm a Kiss fan, so I'm fully aware of what it's like to ignore things like integrity. tongue.gif

Edited by Presto-digitation

Heard the name around for a while, but never got round to listening to any.

A song from his new album was on the free sampler CD with this month's issue of Classic Rock (the one with Rush on the cover)

I loved it and want to check out more.

For you guys more in the know, what would be a good starting point?

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ May 25 2012, 04:17 AM)
Heard the name around for a while, but never got round to listening to any.
A song from his new album was on the free sampler CD with this month's issue of Classic Rock (the one with Rush on the cover)
I loved it and want to check out more.

For you guys more in the know, what would be a good starting point?

His earlier material is a bit more SRV-type Strat blues and his middle-to-current period he develops more as a songwriter and brings in some Zeppelin-like blues/rock riffs on the Les Paul. I'm more partial to his work starting around Had To Cry Today. But for a good earlier sound his debut A New Day Yesterday or Blues Deluxe might be good starting points.

If I had to pick a good starting point for someone, I'd say get The Ballad Of John Henry or Dust Bowl and go from there.

A nice intro to a broader section of his work is the live album "Live At The Royal Albert Hall". (also an awesome DVD/blu ray). It's a nice sampler platter. That was a special show, though, so there are some horn sections and things not always featured on his albums...so it's not entirely representative of the studio versions of his songs. But his playing is great. If you go that live album route, treat yourself to a blind buy of the video and get the full experience.

The afore-mentioned Had To Cry Today is another personal favorite. Has a song called The River that's just killer.

His stylings jump around a lot and he does lots of cover songs too, from Robert Johnson and Howlin' Wolf to Tom Waits and Aussie Jimmy Barnes. He's had as few as one cover tune on an album and his new record has 7 of 11 cuts that are covers, so it varies a bunch. Writes everything from traditional 12 bar blues numbers you know already to very ethnic sounding stuff, like some cuts on the album Black Rock. He writes incredible ballads too. If there's a blues/blues rock style point, this guy has hit on it.

Great thing about Joe is that he's ALWAYS doing something. He's also the guitarist in Black Country Communion and just last year he did a duet album with lady blues crooner (Janis Joplin-like) Beth Hart. Joe made THREE studio albums last year, put out 3 DVDs in just over a year, and had two live records (one of his own, one with Black Country). 13 albums in 12 years so far and no plans to slow down.

If you're not familiar with Black Country Communion, do check them out. I prefer them to Joe alone personally because it's even MORE classic rock oriented. These guys are great. For a NICE taste of Joe in that band, youtube the song Song Of Yesterday. Nearly a 3-minute solo in that one. Love it.

Cheers for the help, Presto-digitation trink39.gif

I just ordered The Ballad Of John Henry and the Live At The Royal Albert Hall DVD.

I also checked out that Black Country Communion song. Amazing. I think that will probably be my next stop. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 25 2012, 02:02 PM)
Good man! I admire someone not afraid to jump right in. Hell yeah!!

trink39.gif

trink39.gif

Arrived in the post this morning. I'm listening to The Ballad of John Henry right now, and I'm loving it cool.gif

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ May 28 2012, 06:03 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 25 2012, 02:02 PM)
Good man!  I admire someone not afraid to jump right in.  Hell yeah!!

trink39.gif

trink39.gif

Arrived in the post this morning. I'm listening to The Ballad of John Henry right now, and I'm loving it cool.gif

Excellent. His Albert Hall DVD is from that very tour, too, so I'm pretty certain you'll enjoy that as well.

trink39.gif

Cheers!

My pleasure, brother! I'm a recent convert myself, so I'm still in that full-on saturation period.

Don't forget about Black Country Communion as well, in time. They've a mere two studio albums and a live one (and a DVD as well), so even easier to get caught up there. Be sure to post back as/if you get to know his back catalogue a bit more, as I'll be happy to chat with you on the subject.