All those dead guys!

garbo

This thread is for those remaining six of us in the Universe who love British literature, especially Ren lit (maybe a little into the satire period with Swift and Pope). Not Austen though, except maybe Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and the other one.

I primarily studied Donne and Milton with a little Herbert, Marvel and the like on the side, but my main man was definitely Donne. In fact, I was so obsessed I graffitied my first iPod with "Pleasure is none if not diversified" on it (Elegie 17 I think? His Elegies were all about the sexytimes, unlike what normal Elegies are supposed to be about). That's actually referring to women, but you know, I know no one reads Donne so I just lied and said it referred to my high musical standards and tastes. wacko.gif However, my specialities were his holy sonnets, mainly sexuality and religion, with a subspecialty in "ravishment." Now that I'm on break I prefer reading him for fun, although I still prefer his metaphysical stuff. I'm currently reading his sermons, which are insane and rough- I can barely get through one at a time without wanting to run out into traffic. If I do a Ph.D., I might look into if the guy was cuckoo.

Milton- well, if the Rolling Stones weren't referencing Milton's Satan in "Sympathy for the Devil" then I don't know what was going on. But yes, Satan was pretty awesome, hence why if you don't do grad work on Milton you only read the first two books of PL and think Satan is the epic hero (he's not, but still, we all like him the best). My grad work on Milton was in Typology (WTF) and a little on gender studies because that's what women are supposed to do so I studied why Eve instigated the sexytimes and what that meant for Milton (hence why lady scholars of Milton will fight you Bruce Lee style for insinuating Milton was a sexist- he wasn't. He also has homo-erotic love going on between the angels in book seven when they can change gender at will).

I also have this secret belief that if Milton were alive today that he would love film since PL is so descriptive (he would probably write graphic novels too, but that's just my smart ass opinion not shared by all). I also think Donne would be a nudist- again, smart ass opinion.

Anyway, I think I just exposed my secret nerdiness. I'm going to go hide in a corner somewhere and never come out. I hope I can find the other six Brit lit fans.

cheer.gif DISCUSS!!

Edited by garbo

Because Brit lit is secretly the best

This is a false claim with no evidence to back it up. I also found that statement to be a bit racist and elitist. There are plenty of American and Canadian authors who are just as good (if not better) than most British authors, living or dead. Some examples that come to mind are Dan Brown, Scott Turow, Margaret Atwood, Mordecai Richler, Robert Jordan, and Brandon Sanderson.

Edited by RushHour

My favourite author is P. G. Wodehouse. I just can't get enough of his books.

Jeeves, Blandings, Psmith, Uncle Fred, Mr. Mulliner...all are great.

Though he was a Brit, he lived and wrote in America...so there's some common ground for us right there.

QUOTE (RushHour @ Nov 7 2010, 12:15 PM)

This is a false claim with no evidence to back it up. I also found that statement to be a bit racist and elitist. There are plenty of American and Canadian authors who are just as good (if not better) than most British authors, living or dead. Some examples that come to mind are Dan Brown, Scott Turow, Margaret Atwood, Mordecai Richler, Robert Jordan, and Brandon Sanderson.

laugh.gif

I would have commented because I actually thought this was hilarious, and as you can tell I like sarcasm, but you mentioned Margaret Atwood and I had to shut the trolley down. no.gif

And Dan Brown? Like, why not Mark Twain or Maya Angelou?

(My issue with Atwood stems from her book signings back in the 80's. That and my Neo-Nazi Feminist professor who made me read a bunch of her books and then kept mixing up Brave New World and1984 but said it didn't matter because Handmaid's Tale trumped them all and I was like, "Bitch, no." And then she told me straight women sucked and then I got angry)

So, that's why I ignored your generally well-handcrafted satirical post, which was in response to my sardonic post.

Edited by garbo

I will offer up "The Second Coming" by Yeats because it's theme and imagery is likely to be similar to some of the religious work you might select from Milton. I think we should focus our discussion on poetics and why we think the respective work has strengths in these areas.

The Second Coming

Turning and turning in the widening gyre

The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;

Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,

The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere

The ceremony of innocence is drowned;

The best lack all conviction, while the worst

Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;

Surely the Second Coming is at hand.

The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out

When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi

Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert

A shape with lion body and the head of a man,

A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,

Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it

Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.

The darkness drops again; but now I know

That twenty centuries of stony sleep

Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,

And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,

Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

QUOTE (garbo @ Nov 10 2010, 06:19 AM)

I would have commented because I actually thought this was hilarious, and as you can tell I like sarcasm, but you mentioned Margaret Atwood and I had to shut the trolley down. no.gif

(My issue with Atwood stems from her book signings back in the 80's. That and my Neo-Nazi Feminist professor who made me read a bunch of her books and then kept mixing up Brave New World and1984 but said it didn't matter because Handmaid's Tale trumped them all and I was like, "Bitch, no." And then she told me straight women sucked and then I got angry)

So, that's why I ignored your generally well-handcrafted satirical post, which was in response to my sardonic post.

I have to say I was with you right up to the point where you said Dan Brown, and then I threw up a little in my mouth.

And I can't believe that you omitted Herman Melville and Nathanial Hawthorne.

QUOTE (The Maples @ Nov 17 2010, 05:40 PM)
QUOTE (garbo @ Nov 10 2010, 06:19 AM)

I have to say I was with you right up to the point where you said Dan Brown, and then I threw up a little in my mouth.

And I can't believe that you omitted Herman Melville and Nathanial Hawthorne.

My thoughts exactly (although I'm not the biggest Melville fan. I blame one of my professors on that. He fanboyed Melville out so much...).

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Nov 8 2010, 10:05 AM)
I believe that Yeats is the finest poet in the history of the English language.

100% agreed. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Nov 17 2010, 02:38 PM)
I will offer up "The Second Coming" by Yeats because it's theme and imagery is likely to be similar to some of the religious work you might select from Milton. I think we should focus our discussion on poetics and why we think the respective work has strengths in these areas.

The Second Coming

Surprisingly the stuff I'm narrowing down to are not that religious (I cut out Lycidas, sorry. I figure everyone always chooses that one, but I just find it choppy).

Milton is not my favorite poet, I should say. I should also say I consider Vergil the greatest poet and I hate him. And I hate that I him. It's so sad.

(Donne is my favorite poet, but I don't consider him the greatest poet. I wish though)

I also wish I thought Blake was the greatest poet.

I swear I'm working on this! I'm having trouble narrowing down to one single thing. I'm down to three pieces.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Nov 19 2010, 06:04 PM)

100% agreed. trink39.gif

Wow! I have to publically admit that I have made some very poor assumptions about Mr. Aubrey. I apologize and will try to be a bit more open minded.

Nice one!

Edited by Finding IT

QUOTE (garbo @ Nov 20 2010, 12:43 AM)

The Second Coming

Surprisingly the stuff I'm narrowing down to are not that religious (I cut out Lycidas, sorry. I figure everyone always chooses that one, but I just find it choppy).

Milton is not my favorite poet, I should say. I should also say I consider Vergil the greatest poet and I hate him. And I hate that I him. It's so sad.

(Donne is my favorite poet, but I don't consider him the greatest poet. I wish though)

I swear I'm working on this! I'm having trouble narrowing down to one single thing. I'm down to three pieces.

Pick whatever you like ... no worries.

The problem with evaluating a writer like Virgil is that you are really evaluating a translation of his work. This is difficult, particularly with poetry where the language is such a criticial element of the text.

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Nov 21 2010, 06:20 PM)
QUOTE (garbo @ Nov 20 2010, 12:43 AM)

The Second Coming

Pick whatever you like ... no worries.

The problem with evaluating a writer like Virgil is that you are really evaluating a translation of his work. This is difficult, particularly with poetry where the language is such a criticial element of the text.

Nope. I read it in Latin. I made that text my bitch, as it were.

Edited by garbo

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Nov 21 2010, 06:17 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Nov 19 2010, 06:04 PM)

100% agreed. trink39.gif

Wow! I have to publically admit that I have made some very poor assumptions about Mr. Aubrey. I apologize and will try to be a bit more open minded.

Nice one!

No apology is necessary, sir. People are always surprised to learn that I like poetry.

Edited by Jack Aubrey