My (very late) West Palm Beach Review

Overall amazing show. The crowd was wired, and the band was feeling it and sent it right back in a 2 1/2 hour feedback loop 653.gif

More specifically:

Relative low points (to get the nitpicks out of the way):

1. The Camera Eye. It's always been my least favorite MP song, but I was hoping for a live "revelation" like I had with GOAC in '08 or Mystic Rhythms on R30. No such luck. It's a good song, but there's so much else in their catalog I could spend 10 minutes listening to. I had to give up Natural Science for this? doh.gif I'd have had more fun listening to Superconductor twice. And I'm not joking.... I love Superconductor pokey.gif

2. The rephrasing of the last verse on Closer To The Heart. I don't know if they did it to "save" Geddy's voice, or just to do something different, but it didn't work for me. They did redeem themselves by bringing back a bit of the old ending jam. OTOH, the polka and reggae intros to LVS and Working Man were great cool.gif

High points: Everything else! 653.gif tongue.gif In particular:

1. GEDDY ON LTTA!!! 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif Are you freaking kidding me?!? I don't even know how to describe what he did, or how he still has all 10 fingers. Afterward, my section just started chanting his name "GEDDY! GEDDY! GEDDY!" for a good 20 seconds

2. Workin Them Angels. I said back om the S&A tour that this song is simply magic, and even more so live. Geddy leans into that chorus like he was the lyricist. Pleasantly surprised how many people besides me were singing along.

3. Tom Sawyer. I nearly died seeing the video with the guys changing places... Neil "playing" guitar and mocking the hell out of Alex in the process z7shysterical.gif Oh, and those who ask why Tom Sawyer is played every tour, the answer is: because it's awesome! cool.gif

4. 2112/Syrinx. like TS, just for being awesome! 1022.gif

5. Caravan. This thing is becoming a monster.

6. Marathon... the surprise pyro BANG on "shot in the dark.." was so loud, Geddy's mic fell off its stand laugh.gif The chorus has been popping into my head randomly ever since the show.

7. Working Man. Alex goes warp spees, then Geddy joined in for a dual shreddage finale topped off with Geddy' holding that last note, "they call me the working MAAAAAAAAAAN" 1022.gif

Is it 2011 yet???

QUOTE (Pause Rewind Replay @ Oct 4 2010, 11:20 AM)

1. GEDDY ON LTTA!!! 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif Are you freaking kidding me?!? I don't even know how to describe what he did, or how he still has all 10 fingers. Afterward, my section just started chanting his name "GEDDY! GEDDY! GEDDY!" for a good 20 seconds

I know! He did the same thing in Dallas! It was amazing! I don't remember him doing that at the other three shows I saw this tour. Man, he tore it UP! I was in total awe! He always has been, and always will be, my hero! wub.gif

2.  Workin Them Angels.  I said back om the S&A tour that this song is simply magic, and even more so live.  Geddy leans into that chorus like he was the lyricist.  Pleasantly surprised how many people besides me were singing along.

Well said. Geddy was really feeling WTA at the Aug 23 Chicago rain date. Six weeks later and I'm still feeling that awesome show like it was last night.

It was a fun show, but I have to say Tampa was just a hair better.

A couple things I don't agree with you on however, in my section at least (section 1 about 12-16 rows back) the crowd was very subdued. Lots of head bobbing and air drumming. In Tampa (almost the same seats) people were dancing and jumping.

Also, low points? TCE and change to CTTH were awesome for me. If I had to choose a low point, I would say Stick it Out.

QUOTE (cygnify @ Oct 4 2010, 03:08 PM)
It was a fun show, but I have to say Tampa was just a hair better.

A couple things I don't agree with you on however, in my section at least (section 1 about 12-16 rows back) the crowd was very subdued. Lots of head bobbing and air drumming. In Tampa (almost the same seats) people were dancing and jumping.

Also, low points? TCE and change to CTTH were awesome for me. If I had to choose a low point, I would say Stick it Out.

I had a dif experience than you at both shows, atleast in the pit. At Tampa everyone seemed pretty subdued and the security wasn't letting anyone away from there seats or in the aisles.

West Palm was nuts. Security had no control of anything. People rushed the stage and the aisle was full of air guitars, air drummers and head bangers. The herb was being smoked almost non-stop and was done pretty openly. Plus I caught a shirt Alex tossed out! 1022.gif I loved the Tampa show, thought it was flawless. But the WP show had more energy than the Tampa one, from the fans and the band. Plus, at my seats atleast, the WP show sounded better. Everything was clearer. I could clearly pick out Geddys notes on the bass, not just the heavy rumble like at Tampa.

You mean this?

And I agree with you about Working Them Angels. Me being a vet and spending time in the Middle East, Rush strikes a pretty deep chord in me with the last image they show of the soldiers silhouette and the wings on them.

I've been in Rush nirvana ever since the lights went up. What an amazing show. I went with some friends, most of whom had never been to a Rush concert and they were all stunned by how awesome it was. YYZ sounded amazing, and I don't think there was a false note the whole show. I am biased though.

The place was brimming with energy, and it started from the stage. I loved seeing how much fun the band was obviously having. Just three guys tearing it up, basking in the reaction from the audience.

Is it 2011 yet? Has Clockwork Angels hit the shelves? Will Rush be back soon? Can WPB not be the last show? Waiting 6 months sucked. But, yes, worth the wait. trink39.gif