greeting* a fellow Rush fan

Mr. Not

So as some may know, I'm a Senior now (such a big kid!...), and to my surprise I do feel a bit more socially courageous because of this. Well, yesterday I saw a guy (freshman through junior, I'm not sure. I'm guessing he's a freshman, since it was the first time I ever noticed him.) walking, and he was wearing a rush time machine tour shirt! I saw him twice yesterday in fact, once before school and once after. Both times I merely thought "that's pretty cool." But today I saw him a third time, this time he was headed for the north-western side of school which was where I was headed as well. I took it as a sort of sign and greeted him with: "so you saw rush at the shoreline amphitheatre?" From there on it was the normal Rush concert blablabla, though he didn't talk quite as much as me. It was cool to click with a stranger just through the band. I didn't mention TRF though, doh.gif I don't know his name and he doesn't know mine, doh.gif Sothat could have been the first and last time we bonded doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif

(Bonded as friends, don't take this out of proportion you jokesters...)

It would be cool if he already visits here already, but I doubt it.

Any comments on this story? Any stories that are similar?

Went into a music shop once and started talking with a guy who worked there because we both had Rush shirts. He has seen ever tour since 74 except Signals.

I noticed a girl that was wearing a "got peart" shirt and said "I have the same shirt" and she said "Awesome" and then we started talking about Rush. She didn't know as much as I did but she saw them on the S&A tour and I've yet to go but I will be in Columbus 1022.gif

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Aug 19 2010, 06:38 PM)
I would greet rather than confront.

looks like I used that word wrong oops.gif

yes, greet is what I meant.

Fixed the title, thanks for saving me from further embarrassment.

QUOTE (Alex @ Aug 19 2010, 04:29 PM)
Went into a music shop once and started talking with a guy who worked there because we both had Rush shirts. He has seen ever tour since 74 except Signals.

Is that music shop close by to where you live?

I would revisit and ask for stories 1022.gif

I'm sure Rush shirts are becoming more common "in the high school halls" these days. But in my day... old.gif back in 1989-90, seeing another Rush shirt meant automatic friendship. Like revealing some kind of gang tattoo in prison... um, except different. As a HS freshman, I had an ill-fitting HYF tee. A senior spotted me and offered me a seat at his cafeteria table. ohmy.gif He tested me with a few basic questions, no doubt to ensure that I wasn't some poor soul whose mother clad him in some undeserved yard-sale apparel. I answered his queries with enthusiasm and I was in! No longer quite as lost and lonely as I had been socially, I was now "a made guy" so to speak. cool.gif It's a rite of passage I was entrusted to repeat as I became a senior. "Be cool or be cast out." Rush fans looked out for their own. I hope that's still the case.

QUOTE (Joshua @ Aug 19 2010, 09:23 PM)
As a HS freshman, I had an ill-fitting HYF tee..

You wore your HYF tee as a HS freshman, I wore mine as a college sophmore.. you're younger than you think..

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Joshua @ Aug 19 2010, 07:23 PM)
I'm sure Rush shirts are becoming more common "in the high school halls" these days. But in my day... old.gif back in 1989-90, seeing another Rush shirt meant automatic friendship. Like revealing some kind of gang tattoo in prison... um, except different. As a HS freshman, I had an ill-fitting HYF tee. A senior spotted me and offered me a seat at his cafeteria table. ohmy.gif He tested me with a few basic questions, no doubt to ensure that I wasn't some poor soul whose mother clad him in some undeserved yard-sale apparel. I answered his queries with enthusiasm and I was in! No longer quite as lost and lonely as I had been socially, I was now "a made guy" so to speak. cool.gif It's a rite of passage I was entrusted to repeat as I became a senior. "Be cool or be cast out." Rush fans looked out for their own. I hope that's still the case.

That's basically what happened today with me! Except I was the Senior... Cool!

And Rush fans are more common for sure, but there still aren't many rush fans... There's probably about 7 big rush fans at my school.

It should indicate the poor state of affairs for me over here when I say, with complete honesty, that the only time I've ever seen anyone wearing a Rush shirt was back when I saw the band on the R30 tour....other than that... sad.gif

Back in the Dark Ages when I was at school (ok it was around 1977) Rush became hugely popular at my school. Lots of us used to wear Rush badges (bought and hand made) and carry around copies of AFTK, FBN and the 1st album. Nothing unusual in that except it was a secondary school in Dundee, Scotland! School discos were full of Rush t shirts and cheesecloth shirts

I remember even then there was an unspoken brother/sisterhood among all of us Rush fans. In fact, I met my best male friend BECAUSE i'd been to see the band in Glasgow in '78 and his sister introduced us because he wanted to know EVERYTHING about the gig biggrin.gif

I was out kayaking in the Boston Harbor area earlier this week, and I landed on Peddock's Island (Where they shot Shutter Island). The ranger came over to me and told me we couldn't go look around, which I was kind of upset by. However, he noticed my S&A shirt, and he asked if was a fan. We had a short conversation about the band, and it turns out we're both going to the Boston show!

Archived