Anyone have a Boss GT-6?

Tarkus406

http://www.haworthguitars.com.au/images/catalog/product.BOSS-GT6.large.jpg

Can anybody give me pointers on how to create a warm sounding distortion on this thing without it sounding muddy and shitty? Or at least point me in the right direction? I would appreciate it. smile.gif

I should clarify...I'm not running this through an amp since I'm recording (I technically don't even have an amp other than a Crate combo amp thats sitting in my friend's basement right now)

I know I'm gonna get a bunch of "you wont get a good sound without this $6000 amplifier blah blah"

but yeah...I'm currently trying to stay within a strict musical equipment budget.

Edited by Tarkus406

I have a BOSS GT-10 and have been after a "warm" distorted sound. I know on the GT-10 there is a preset (a number of them, actually) that give you that sort of sound. I'm not familiar with the GT-6, though.

I know for the distortion preset that I made and use all the time, I just have Proco RAT overdrive. No separate preamp. If you go easy on the drive, you can get a warm distorted sound (more of a "crunch"). This is ideal for rhythms, and if you set the drive right, you can get a distorted sound but still hear individual notes being picked in arpeggios, which is good. Of course, you can play with the volume knob on your guitar to affect this, also. For solos, just increase the drive and set that to your channel B, controlled with your CTL pedal.

I don't know if the GT-6 has the same overdrive simulation I was talking about... But that's what I was successful with, for what it's worth.

Well it uses the same COSM sound engine that's in the GT-10. I should be able to use the same parameters for the most part. I don't see anything on here about Proco RAT so I guess they didin't add that until after GT6.

The presets on these things suck laugh.gif

It's either a light crunch for country or blues with no sustain, or a really high gain metal patch. The in-betweens sound awful. I get a way better sound out of my digitech RP350 but with limited functionality.

Edited by Tarkus406

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Aug 18 2010, 10:19 PM)
Hmm... what preamps and overdrives are on the GT-6? Maybe I could go through the warm distortion presets on the GT-10 and we can try to make an acceptable equivalent.

Preamp types and variations:

• JC Clean:
  • JC-120
  • Jazz Combo
  • Full Range
  • TW Clean:
  • Clean TWIN
  • Pro Crunch
  • Tweed
  • Crunch:
  • Crunch
  • Blues
  • Stack Crunch
  • Vox Combo:
  • Vox Drive
  • Vox Lead
  • Vox Clean
  • Match Drv:
  • Match Drive
  • Match Lead
  • Fat Match
  • BG Lead:
  • BG Lead
  • BG Drive
  • BG Rhythm
  • MS Stack:
  • MS1959(I)
  • MS1959(I+II)
  • MS1959 Hi Gain
  • R-Fier:
  • R-Fier Red
  • R-Fier Orange
  • R-Fier Vintage
  • Hi Gain:
  • SLDN
  • Drive Stack
  • Lead Stack
  • Metal:
  • 5150 Drive
  • Metal Stack
  • Metal Lead
Distortion types and variations:

• OD/Boost:
  • Blues OD
  • Turbo OD
  • Booster
  • Dist:
  • Distortion
  • American DS ( ohmy.gif oh it says in the manual this models a Proco RAT!)
  • GUV DS
  • Classic:
  • OD-1
  • T-Scream
  • DST+
  • Fuzz:
  • '60s Fuzz
  • Oct Fuzz
  • Muff Fuzz
  • Metal:
  • Metal Zone
  • R-Man
  • Heavy Metal
Edited by Tarkus406

I have a Gt-10 so I'm not sure if this applies to the 6.

Make sure your output is set to Line/Headphones.

Then in the preamp section you can set a speaker simulator. It makes a huge difference.

I had a GT10 when it first came out for 6 months before I traded it for a 1989 american strat (was good trade for me).

There is no warm distortion with boss products. period. The effects are excellant, but all the OD and sims are harsh. 75% of the GT10 onwers traded theirs for the Digitech 1000 in the MFX forum I'm in.

That said, your best bet is to buy a good OD pedal or use your amps distortion.

If you only have the GT unit, you have to EQ out the harshness by rolling off the freqs.

Here are some good links for you (try and find a good patch in the exchange sections etc).

http://www.bossgtcentral.com/forum.php

http://forum.thestompbox.net/forumdisplay.php?f=19

In the last link end a PM to Xcortman, he has a Gt6 ot gt8 and does manage some nice direct recording sounds.

gl

Edited by jdouglas

I actually still have a GT8, but I use it now just for effects...I have it hooked up in a four cable method with my amp which does give better tones....

Saying that, you can get decent distortion out of these...the trick is to ensure that your global settings are always set to headphones/line out..it always sounds better that way, don't ask me why.

Next, run it through the RETURN of an amp..this is very important as a preamp will colour the sound and make it harder to achieve your tone.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Aug 27 2010, 03:01 PM)
the trick is to ensure that your global settings are always set to headphones/line out..it always sounds better that way, don't ask me why.

I was actually trying to replicate some of my old tones with my GT-10, and I basically had all the same settings as before, but it didn't sound the same! I always set the output to "Small Amp", because, well, that's what I was playing through! But when I set it to "Line/Phones" and played through my amp, it sounded near perfect to what I had before!