Mad Men season 4

PuppetKing2112

Just noticed there wasn't a thread for the new season of my favorite show currently on TV. I know we have at least a handful of other Mad Men fans on here.

It's interesting to watch Don hit bottom in many of the same ways as Tiger Woods is simultaneously in real life. Their career/life arcs are very similar to me.

I love the Glen/Sally subplot, as well as Don's night out with Lane Pryce last week. First time we really got to see Pryce come out of his shell.

If you don't watch Mad Men or aren't caught up, don't read this thread. Anyone else, I'd love to have someone to discuss it with.

LOVE this show. Last night's episode was great.

Been reading some blogs that suggest Gene had innappropriate relations with sally and perhaps Betty as well. Not sure what I think about this or if it's what Matt Weiner is suggesting, what's your take?

I'm a big Peggy fan myself smile.gif

Won the emmy last night for Best Drama.

Poor Peggy last night (episode 6). The way she held onto the trophy/statue at the Life cereal meeting after they won for the Glo-Coat commercial -- then Sterling snaps it right out of her hands. Agh! Cruel!

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Sep 8 2010, 11:11 AM)
Last Sunday's show was superb. I could see the whole thing being played out in theater actually and I love the developing non-sexual relationship between Peggy and Don.

wub.gif

One of the best episodes yet. Yes, it is nice to see Don have a relationship with another human that doesn't revolve around booze & sex...although there was plenty of booze to go around.

If ever there was a character on a downward spiral of self destruction it's Don Draper. And beyond that, dude is partner is a major ad agency, you'd think he could afford to live somewhere other than a dumpster.

I like to think that the last episode was a low point/turning point for Don to not become a raging, out of control alcoholic. I mean, he's clearly an alcoholic but at least in previous seasons he wasn't visibly smashed all the time. Rough season for ol' Dick Whitman.

Oh and I hate Betty and the kids. Make them go away. That's one reason this episode was so great...none of them.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Sep 8 2010, 01:31 PM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Sep 8 2010, 11:11 AM)
Last Sunday's show was superb.  I could see the whole thing being played out in theater actually and I love the developing non-sexual relationship between Peggy and Don.

wub.gif

One of the best episodes yet. Yes, it is nice to see Don have a relationship with another human that doesn't revolve around booze & sex...although there was plenty of booze to go around.

If ever there was a character on a downward spiral of self destruction it's Don Draper. And beyond that, dude is partner is a major ad agency, you'd think he could afford to live somewhere other than a dumpster.

I like to think that the last episode was a low point/turning point for Don to not become a raging, out of control alcoholic. I mean, he's clearly an alcoholic but at least in previous seasons he wasn't visibly smashed all the time. Rough season for ol' Dick Whitman.

Oh and I hate Betty and the kids. Make them go away. That's one reason this episode was so great...none of them.

He hasn't hit bottom yet, I don't think.

I find it ironic that I used to be on Betty's side when she found out about Don and got a divorce in that era. But maybe it's the way it's being directed, but I now feel for Don and really don't like Betty with Henry! Total change around this season for me.

Duck is such a sleazeball!

Well. Only 2 new episodes left this season and everything's pretty much up in the air at the agency.

Looks like Don and Dr. Faye are seriouser & seriouser every episode. Bet she wouldn't have pimped Don to Heinz if she knew he was shagging the secretary. Nothing new there for Draper.

Roger...what the hell? Can't figure out why he's taken this route. Wonder if he's back next year. Kinda wondered if they aren't setting him up to off himself at the end. I hope not because Slattery is great.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Oct 4 2010, 12:56 PM)
Roger...what the hell? Can't figure out why he's taken this route. Wonder if he's back next year. Kinda wondered if they aren't setting him up to off himself at the end. I hope not because Slattery is great.

I'm on a LiveJournal group for Mad Men fans and there's a lot of speculation as to what's going to happen to Roger. The #1 theory right now seems to be that he's going to either have a fatal heart attack or throw himself out of one of the windows. But I agree, I'd hate for Slattery to kill Roger off, he's a great character.

However, I've got a theory that Don's going to off himself at the end of the series. We see the image of a man falling past the buildings and billboards at the beginning of each show, and that's where I'm getting my theory.

I can't believe we're almost done with this season, what else am I going to watch on Sunday night??

QUOTE (BellaCheval @ Oct 5 2010, 11:49 PM)

I'm on a LiveJournal group for Mad Men fans and there's a lot of speculation as to what's going to happen to Roger. The #1 theory right now seems to be that he's going to either have a fatal heart attack or throw himself out of one of the windows. But I agree, I'd hate for Slattery to kill Roger off, he's a great character.

However, I've got a theory that Don's going to off himself at the end of the series. We see the image of a man falling past the buildings and billboards at the beginning of each show, and that's where I'm getting my theory.

I can't believe we're almost done with this season, what else am I going to watch on Sunday night??

I hope not but your theory certainly seems plausible.

QUOTE (BellaCheval @ Oct 5 2010, 11:49 PM)

Consider my mind blown. Never even thought of Don committing suicide although that would tie in to the intro. But I really hope not for a character so seemingly confident in himself to overcome obstacles. However if the agency falls apart...that's all he really cares about is the work, so it may be plausible as an idea.

Looks like Peggy is the only character not in a dark place right now. She'll probably end up with her own agency before it's over. With Draper working for her. How funny would that be?

Maybe Roger & Duck Phillips will start working together... unsure.gif

Now this is a drama. Great first half of an episode and with only 1.5 episodes left I really don't know how this season is going to end.

It would seem, as of now, the agency is dead man walking. Oh, and was anyone really surprised to find out Don's old 1st season girlfriend is now on heroin? I think not.

So, what do you folks think of Don's move for the company to no longer do advertising for tobacco companies? Do you think it's going to sink the company or something better will come along?

Don's paying for Pete's half of the money that the firm needs to stay afloat was a pretty nice move...but the cynical side of me says he's only doing it to keep Pete's mouth shut about who Don really is.

This has been one helluva season and I get the feeling they're going to leave us with a big, big, BIG cliffhanger.

Tonight's season finale is called "Tomorrowland", wherein a surprising opportunity arises for both Don and Peggy, leaving them with life-altering decisions to make.

Well now...what could that mean? Tomorrowland is a theme park for Disney so maybe Don & Peggy get offered a job from Disney or another agency and have to leave the firm.

I don't think there's going to be a tragic end for Roger, I think he'll just leave the firm and live off his family's money and meanwhile Joan will find out her husband is dead while still carrying Roger's baby.

I'm even thinking next season won't be set in New York. California perhaps. Don already has a house out there.

I loved Glen's comeback to Betty---"Just because you're unhappy doesn't mean everyone else has to be!!" I also thought Carla was going to clock her when Betty fired her for letting Glen go up to Sally's room to say goodbye.

The ending has created a whole new pile of shit for next season---Don's choosing Megan over Faye, Joan not having an abortion, Betty's moving the family, a whole bunch of stuff.

So, what did everyone else think of the season ender?

Where the hell did THAT come from?

Is this Don's way of getting a Carla/Betty replacement? Blech..

BellaCheval: I thought Betty was going to clock Carla at one point actually laugh.gif And Henry's starting to see how irrational Betty is..

Sally handled moving extremely well I thought, esp when saying bye to Glenn. Again, she is more grown up and wise than her own mother (who slept in her daughters bed when she was gone in Cali w/ Don)

Loved when Peggy and Joan shared a momentm after hearing about Don's engagement. I was expecting Joan to put Peg down AGAIN as she always does but this is a nice change. "That's bullsh*t!" rofl3.gif

-- whoa, speaking of the name Peggy, isn't that ironic? No matter what she does, always gets "pegged" down. She (and Ken) got a huge account for the agency but it was still second place to Don's new engagement. Great naming on Weiner's part (writer)

Gonna miss the show until next season! (though I won't miss staying up til 11p. when I have to wake up at 5a every day wacko.gif )

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Oct 18 2010, 11:03 AM)
Where the hell did THAT come from?

Is this Don's way of getting a Carla/Betty replacement?  Blech..

BellaCheval:  I thought Betty was going to clock Carla at one point actually  laugh.gif And Henry's starting to see how irrational Betty is..

Sally handled moving extremely well I thought, esp when saying bye to Glenn.  Again, she is more grown up and wise than her own mother (who slept in her daughters bed when she was gone in Cali w/ Don)

Loved when Peggy and Joan shared a momentm after hearing about Don's engagement.  I was expecting Joan to put Peg down AGAIN as she always does but this is a nice change.  "That's bullsh*t!"  rofl3.gif

-- whoa, speaking of the name Peggy, isn't that ironic? No matter what she does, always gets "pegged" down.  She (and Ken) got a huge account for the agency but it was still second place to Don's new engagement.  Great naming on Weiner's part (writer)

Gonna miss the show until next season!  (though I won't miss staying up til 11p. when I have to wake up at 5a every day  wacko.gif )

Here's to hoping that we won't have to see Betty next season. She exhausts me. I bet Henry is real happy he made that move. Less of them next year would be a good thing.

When Don told the American Cancer board that the letter in the newspaper was created under "an impulse that he needed to move forward" is pretty much Don in a nutshell. Moving forward is his MO. I guess he loves his sexretary but I do wonder if he is using her has a way to stabilize his life and take care of the kids. Perhaps Faye didn't make the cut because of the kids?

This show is so subtle sometimes, does Peggy's reaction mean that she has feelings for Don? It sure seems that way or was she just pissed because her achievement was overlooked. Dames...can't figure 'em out.

Oh well, so much for the theories of Roger's suicide and the collapse of the firm. Pretty good season, maybe not great. But a pretty significant character arc for Don to pull himself out of the gutter to some form of normalcy.

Best scene of the season, if not the series, was Don leaning against the entrance of the NYC athletic club, smoking and sporting Ray-Ban's watching the ladies walk by while the Rolling Stones played. The epitome of coolness.

You're right about not having to stay up til 11:00 at least, now I can get some sleep Sunday nights.

trink38.gif

I'd like to see Betty get canned from the show but alas, she's one of the main characters. I have NEVER liked her from the beginning. No matter how old she is, she's still a child and resents anyone who's happier than she thinks she is.

Doubt Betty is going anywhere (from the show). If so, many story lines would be dropped, namely with the kids.

Don is def. using Megan to gain some stability and Faye, lets face it, was too strong willed for Don.