My Las Vegas show review

woodring2112

Well, I'm sitting at the airport waiting to fly home from Vegas, and thought I'd take advantage of the airport's free wi-fi to jot down some of my impressions of last night's show.

Here goes:

First, let me start with the fact that I, of course, enjoyed the show. Basically, the stage would have to collapse and kill the guys or they would all have to simultaneously forget how to play to hate a show.

That being said, I though that there were maybe a few more technical issues for the guys this time, as opposed to when I saw them last week in SLC. Neil had some kit adjustments(?) done during the show, and Alex didn't seem as sharp as he usually is. Geddy's voice sounded tired, but that's probably because its his 3rd show in 4 nights, and they played in Irvine the night prior.

Still, a phenomenal show. The gentlemen sitting next to me was there with his buddy who made him listen to only Moving Pictures and brought him to the show. Seemed genuinely impressed with what he saw/heard, so there's probably a new fan there. Always a good thing.

To sum up: I would rate the SLC show above this one, with the caveat that they were coming off a break and were well rested and ready to rock for that one. Which they did. Vegas was still good, but for the tour next year, they may want to schedule fewer back to backs is possible.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh, and as for the Mini-con at Hooters: I found it quite enjoyable, but I really need to get over my social anxiety and meet more people and actually participate in some of the events. Except for the auctions: some of you people are NUTS! I don't have that kind of cash!!!! wink.gif

Met a few folks and had a good time though......Next year will be better if they have it in Vegas again. If not, I suppose I'll start saving my pennies in case I need to try to get to Toronto.

Enjoy all!

Edited by woodring2112

I hear you on the social anxiety! I said the heck with it and did the Countdown game. Yes I was the loser that couldn't come up with one correct answer. Oh well it was fun and will definitely do rushcon again. Congrats to rushchick on the big win. Boy she deserved it! Edited by tripdad

Had an awesome time last night at the show and at RushCon. I noticed Neils kit being worked on a couple of times too. I didnt notice that it affected his playing, though. From where I was the guys really sharp and I thought the show was incredible. I saw them Monday at the Shoreline and thought that they did look like they might be a little more tired after this show, but hey, they are entitled !

One thing that really bugged me last night, though (and this had nothing to do with the band).. What the hell is with people who get first 2 rows to a Rush concert, come in late, leave early, then sit down and spend the entire time texting during the 7 or 8 songs that they are there for? Apparently a whole bunch of people who somehow ended up with these seats (mostly in the second row center) got the nights confused and thought that they were gonna see Lady GaGa, who did a concert at MGM on Friday night. I was fortunate enough to be in the third row center, but how sad that a bunch of these prime seats went to waste on a bunch of young girls who could not have cared less about the show and probably had no idea who Rush even was. Oh well, it was good for my view at least.

QUOTE (toddnbeth @ Aug 15 2010, 08:28 PM)
What the hell is with people who get first 2 rows to a Rush concert, come in late, leave early, then sit down and spend the entire time texting during the 7 or 8 songs that they are there for?

Same thing at Quebec festival who a guy next to me texting from the beginning to the end of the show...i think he was force to be there because her girlfriend sang the songs all night long smile.gif

QUOTE (tripdad @ Aug 15 2010, 11:39 AM)
I hear you on the social anxiety! I said the heck with it and did the Countdown game. Yes I was the loser that couldn't come up with one correct answer. Oh well it was fun and will definitely do rushcon again. Congrats to rushchick on the big win. Boy she deserved it!

Yes she most certainly did! Congrats again to Rushchick for the win at Countdown! I was 2nd to last one eliminated and she really knew her songs!

That show was great! The only one I get to see this tour, so I have no comparisons for referenece, but I thought it was fantastic!

It was great to see so many people come out for the con. I was the guy in the Rush t-shirt. tongue.gif

Seriously, though, I was the goon updating the scores during the "name that tune" game.

The show rocked, and the con rocked!

Have to agree...Vegas was a fantastic show...but they were a bit 'fresher' in SLC...due to the break I'm sure...plus I really like the outdoors venue! And I had better seats in SLC....LOL!

I wonder why they take a day between shows 50 miles apart, but do back to back shows 380 miles apart?

I was at the Irvine show and my sis was at the MGM.

She reported that Geddy hardly talked to the audience. In Irvine, the night before, he was more engaged than I ever remember.

I guess it comes down the scheduling.

I bet the Vegas show would have been better with a day in between...

Will keep that in mind in 2011-2012.