How many Rush songs do you always SKIP?

rushgoober

I don't know if this is the case for other people, but one thing is for sure with me:

If I only like half of a Rush album, or if I only like a song or two or three from a Rush album, it gets very little time on my stereo. I'll play those individual songs on my radio show sometimes, but I just don't often see the point of pulling out RTB just to play Dreamline, or Presto just to play The Pass and Chain Lightning, or S&A to skip around and play 5 or 6 songs. Usually if I want to hear an album, I want to play the entire album. Thank God HYF had the two lame songs tucked at the very end.

I guess if you have itunes or something it makes that easier, but as a CD only person, if I don't like a good portion of the album, it just ain't getting played that often. no.gif

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If i put a Rush album on, i never skip anything . The albums that i skip[never play at all anymore] HYF,S&A and RTB. No suprise to most of you biggrin.gif If i put on T4E , i play the whole thing, even Dog Years yes.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 16 2010, 03:47 PM)
I don't know if this is the case for other people, but one thing is for sure with me:

If I only like half of a Rush album, or if I only like a song or two or three from a Rush album, it gets very little time on my stereo. I'll play those individual songs on my radio show sometimes, but I just don't often see the point of pulling out RTB just to play Dreamline, or Presto just to play The Pass and Chain Lightning, or S&A to skip around and play 5 or 6 songs. Usually if I want to hear an album, I want to play the entire album. Thank God HYF had the two lame songs tucked at the very end.

I guess if you have itunes or something it makes that easier, but as a CD only person, if I don't like a good portion of the album, it just ain't getting played that often. no.gif

That's too bad Goobs, because chances are, you're potentially missing out on some great tunes perhaps growing on you at some point.

Seriously...and I know the S&A haters will show up, but I want to make this known. When I first listened to S&A the day it was released, I got to the end of the album, and went "that's it?". Man...I was really depressed and disappointed. I couldn't believe that nothing really hit me, outside of Far Cry and Larger Bowl, I believe.

But...throughout the next couple of weeks, I was listening to S&A on my headphones at work. Slowly, little by little, I started hearing great things in the songs, and one by one, the songs all started 'clicking' with me.

Needless to say, the constant attention to the album really helped it grow on me, which I found, it needed that time. Now, as I've made it well known here, S&A is high up there on my favourites list. To me, outside of maybe Counterparts, it is my favourite album since Power Windows.

This also goes with albums like the Debut, Caress of Steel and especially Power Windows. The Debut (as I mentioned in the previous thread) is spectacular, and I've grown to really appreciate what they were doing there. CoS is so awesome, and I can't believe it spent years on the shelf without any airplay from me (missing out on songs like FoL and Necromancer), and PoW probably sits in my Top 5 Rush albums. I used to only listen to Big Money and Manhattan Project, and nowadays, I would consider both of those to be my least favourites on PoW. Crazy how time changes everything.

My point is...if you leave yourself distant from those albums forever because of some initial feelings, you may lose out on having some great songs hit you at some point later down the road. That's how I see it, because I've lived it. yes.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 16 2010, 03:54 PM)
If i put a Rush album on, i never skip anything . The albums that i skip[never play at all anymore] HYF,S&A and RTB. No suprise to most of you biggrin.gif If i put on T4E , i play the whole thing, even Dog Years yes.gif

Despite some corny parts in the lyrics ('doggy heaven'), I'll never understand the hate for this song. It really isn't that bad at all.

Furthermore, I will NEVER understand the hate for TFE. It still makes zero sense to me how people cannot like that album. wacko.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Aug 16 2010, 03:03 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 16 2010, 03:54 PM)
If i put a Rush album on, i never skip anything . The albums that i skip[never play at all anymore] HYF,S&A and RTB. No suprise to most of you biggrin.gif  If i put on T4E , i play the whole thing, even Dog Years yes.gif

Despite some corny parts in the lyrics ('doggy heaven'), I'll never understand the hate for this song. It really isn't that bad at all.

Furthermore, I will NEVER understand the hate for TFE. It still makes zero sense to me how people cannot like that album. wacko.gif

I agree trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 16 2010, 02:47 PM)

This is where iTunes shines and why I love my mp3 player. Ironically Rush is where I get the least benefit because in most cases there aren't enough skippers on one album to make me not put it on, but for the vast majority of my music collection I end up skipping half the songs on a single album. I normally just put on a giant playlist with all my favorite songs- Rush sometimes does get the album treatment, though.

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Aug 16 2010, 04:09 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 16 2010, 02:47 PM)

If I only like half of a Rush album, or if I only like a song or two or three from a Rush album, it gets very little time on my stereo.  I'll play those individual songs on my radio show sometimes, but I just don't often see the point of pulling out RTB just to play Dreamline, or Presto just to play The Pass and Chain Lightning, or S&A to skip around and play 5 or 6 songs.  Usually if I want to hear an album, I want to play the entire album.  Thank God HYF had the two lame songs tucked at the very end. 

This is where iTunes shines and why I love my mp3 player. Ironically Rush is where I get the least benefit because in most cases there aren't enough skippers on one album to make me not put it on, but for the vast majority of my music collection I end up skipping half the songs on a single album. I normally just put on a giant playlist with all my favorite songs- Rush sometimes does get the album treatment, though.

If only it weren't for the huge drop in sound quality going to mp3 and then listening via computer speakers, I would go for it, but I'm happy with my CD's...

I never listen through pc speakers. I use either good headphones, plug into my stereo, or use my iPod Bose docking station (which sounds decent enough). I cannot tell the difference between cd and a high quality mp3.

I know you won't be convinced goob, but gong mp3 based has DEFINITELY enabled me to more greatly appreciate my music collection. Less hidden gems are ignored.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 12 2010, 06:43 PM)
I count:

Caress of Steel - 2 (ITIGB & The Necromancer)
HYF - 2 (Tai Shan & High Water)
Presto - 8 (all songs except for the first three)
RTB - 7 (all songs except Dreamline, Bravado & Where's My Thing)
T4E - 11 (not a horrible album, but honestly I never want to play it and haven't in quite a long time)
VT - 13 (all of 'em)
S&A - 4 (Faithless, Bravest Face, Good News First & We Hold On)
CA - 1 (BU2B)

That's a total of 48.  Yikes!

Only 4 from their first 12 albums
44 from their last 9 (including Feedback & Clockwork Angels)

Yikes is right! If this thread were a poll, it would probably be the longest poll in history. I can honestly say zero, cause there aren't enough Rush songs to be skipping anything. There are a couple albums I haven't heard in some time, but that's just cause I haven't gotten to them in a while. As tick would say, it's all good. smile.gif

trink38.gif 2.gif

Archived