The Doctor Who thread.

The Owl

the following pic contains gratuitous amounts of EPIC... view with caution

. http://www.swillwire.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Bad-Exterminator-Unit-TeeFury-Shirt-of-the-Day.jpg

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 8 2012, 03:58 AM)
the following pic contains gratuitous amounts of EPIC... view with caution
. http://www.swillwire.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Bad-Exterminator-Unit-TeeFury-Shirt-of-the-Day.jpg

laugh.gif

William Hartnell's 'Planet of the Giants' came out yesterday. Wow, the sets and props in this story are amazing...and it beat Irwin Allen's 'Land of the Giants' by four years

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Aug 21 2012, 07:14 AM)
William Hartnell's 'Planet of the Giants' came out yesterday. Wow, the sets and props in this story are amazing...and it beat Irwin Allen's 'Land of the Giants' by four years

It's a great story but they made it through that yard surprisingly fast. wink.gif

QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Aug 23 2012, 05:17 PM)
BBCA is having a marathon Saturday Sept. 1.

I can't wait for the new season to start. It's been forever!!

comp26.gif

Too right

And the first episode will feature 60's, 70's and 80's era Daleks cool.gif

If you don't have a stiff drink with you, it's hard to sit through some of the Sylvester McCoy episodes. Looney tunes galore. It's like watching a Werner Herzog movie. Nothing against Sylvester but I'm not surprised they pulled the plug on the show when they did.

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Aug 24 2012, 05:07 AM)
If you don't have a stiff drink with you, it's hard to sit through some of the Sylvester McCoy episodes. Looney tunes galore. It's like watching a Werner Herzog movie. Nothing against Sylvester but I'm not surprised they pulled the plug on the show when they did.

Yeah, it did tend to get a bit clowny and silly at times. But I think as he went along, he tried to put more darkness and mystery into it. His last year is quite good, particularly Ghost Light and Curse of Fenric, where they seem to have gotten rid of a lot of the silliness.

I always have a bit of a soft spot for McCoy, because he was the Doctor when I watched it as a child.

Can't wait for some new Doctor Who .... I was watching alot of the classic Doctor Who episodes a while ago, but I kind of stopped a bit (right before the start of series 6) but I plan on picking up again with the classic Who after the first half of Series 7 has finished...

I kind of stopped right at Tom Baker's last season, Romana II was still the companion... Im actually really looking forward to the Peter Davidson years but a bit apprehensive abut the Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy years, when I get there what are the essential episoded I have to watch from the 6th and 7th Doctor years? I really dont plan on watching every serial from those two eras.

I actually love the 6th Doctor, but I know a lot don't.

You might want to avoid The Twin Dilemma (even though it's his first one) and Timelash. Both of those come at the bottom on Doctor Who surveys.

Ones I'd recommend:

Vengeance on Varos - Probably even more timely in these days of reality TV

The Mark of the Rani - Historicals were something the BBC could always do well. Also good if you are a fan of Ainley's Master.

The Two Doctors - A Robert Holmes script, plus the 2nd Doctor and Jamie.

Revelation of the Daleks - Actually, one of my favourite Dalek stories. A bit of a black comedy.

As I said a few posts back, the 7th Doctor can be a bit silly, but got better as he went on.

I'd check out:

The Greatest Show in the Galaxy - Great cast, creepy clown.

Battlefield - C'mon...who doesn't love the Brigadier? It's always great to see him back.

Ghostlight - A bit hard to tell what's going on a lot of the time, but I think this one is great with plenty of odd moments.

The Curse of Fenric - A mixture of World War 2 code breaking, Vikings, Vampires and chess.

Hope I've been a help.

QUOTE (t2s @ Sep 2 2012, 02:58 AM)
Holy hell, that was f***ing brilliant!

yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Great episode, with some nice surprises and twists.

So, I just started watching Doctor Who (the revamp, thank god for Netflix) and I am loving it. Been watching it for a week and I'm watching the second part of the Cybermen episode from season 2 right now. I loved Eccleson but David Tennant is HILARIOUS. biggrin.gif Good stuff

also, this Lumic guy who created the Cybermen looks a hallova lot like Neil imho. HAH

Edited by WabbaJack

QUOTE (WabbaJack @ Sep 3 2012, 10:10 PM)
So, I just started watching Doctor Who (the revamp, thank god for Netflix) and I am loving it. Been watching it for a week and I'm watching the second part of the Cybermen episode from season 2 right now. I loved Eccleson but David Tennant is HILARIOUS. biggrin.gif Good stuff

also, this Lumic guy who created the Cybermen looks a hallova lot like Neil imho. HAH

Glad you're enjoying it new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Sep 10 2012, 05:00 AM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ Sep 9 2012, 07:30 PM)
QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Aug 31 2012, 12:25 AM)
I actually love the 6th Doctor

Wow, I didn't know that! ohmy.gif

I think these two wanna be alone. coy.gif

I rarely go out without my replica Colin Baker coat ohmy.gif blush4.gif

One thing that really annoyed me last season was how it was really "Amy Pond... and her sidekicks"

I think Matt could do sooooooo much better, if they didn't center almost every episode around Amy. And I think Amy could be a lot better if the show wasn't so focused on her.

QUOTE (Zamboni14 @ Sep 16 2012, 12:37 AM)
One thing that really annoyed me last season was how it was really "Amy Pond... and her sidekicks"

I think Matt could do sooooooo much better, if they didn't center almost every episode around Amy. And I think Amy could be a lot better if the show wasn't so focused on her.

well.....at least Amy is a much better character to do that with...as opposed when they tried to do it with Rose.....

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 16 2012, 04:58 PM)
QUOTE (Zamboni14 @ Sep 16 2012, 12:37 AM)

well.....at least Amy is a much better character to do that with...as opposed when they tried to do it with Rose.....

but at least with Rose, feelings for the Doctor wasn't the main story (which is mostly what sub-plot was about).. with Amy it's about the crack in her wall, where are her parents, does she still love Rory, is she going to become a weeping angel, what is her connection to River, how did she get into the Pandorica, where did she vanish off to, why is her and Rory seperated, etc.

All they really need to do is a little tweaking and not make it always about HER and be more about the Doctor... and things will be much better (this last episode did a MUCH better job of featuring the Doctor rather than Amy.)

Don't get me wrong, I don't like a completely helpless assistant that's always crying for help either... but the Doctor is the "Alpha" here.. not her.

I did like last nights episode in that they are making the Doctor have more of a "mean" streak (which would only come out from time to time with the previous two Doctors... but you knew it was always there.)