Seattle show

Janie

I made it after all! It was more or less a last minute thing. We had pretty decent seats. The show was amazing. More than amazing. The guys were awesome, Alex was a HUGE goof, Geddy was all over the place, Neil... Neil is simply a god. A few pics:

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo228/LifesonPics/r1.jpg

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo228/LifesonPics/r2.jpg

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo228/LifesonPics/r3.jpg

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo228/LifesonPics/r4.jpg

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo228/LifesonPics/r5.jpg

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo228/LifesonPics/r6.jpg

smile.gif

We waited well over 30 minutes at the merch stand but I walked away with the tote bag, a tour book and this tank:

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo228/LifesonPics/r7_0.jpg

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo228/LifesonPics/r8.jpg

The tour book is great! Tons of good pics.

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Aug 8 2010, 08:03 AM)
Great pictures!

How come Alex is never a goof at MY concerts sad.gif

He was a HUGE goof at this show! But then he had his kick ass moments. The man is one helluva guitarist. Blew me away.

My Seattle experience was amazing. Had an aisle seat on the far left,Alex's side. Row 14. However. As soon as the show started I was able to make my way right to the stage barrier!! Basically creating an extra seat along the first row!!

I took over 100 pictures a couple that Alex "posed" for. Unfortunately they were with a basic point and shoot digital camera so the quality is some what sub par. I will post some as soon as I figure out how.

All three seemed to be having a great time. And the performance was one of their most energetic I've witnessed in the 30 plus times I've seen them.

Alex was being a major goof all night. Often posing for all photographers with his obligitory series of " silly faces". It was great to see him having so much fun.

One of the funniest moment being when he butchered one part of a song so badly Geddy turned to him and asked. " Where are you?" Alex proceeded to feign embarrassment and walked behind his amps to hide.

One buzz kill was security that anytime someone would come close to snap a pic as Ged or Alex made their way to that side of the stage. They would immediately make the person go back to their seats. Once grabbing a guy righjt as he was snapping a picture.

One waoman kept making her way to the stage and standing next to me only to get pulled back out by the same guy.

Finally near the end of the show she was standing there again when he came over to make her move. She pleaded with him and I told him to let her stay she's not bothering anyone. And so he did. Other than the overkill from crowd control it was truly an amazing experience!!

As far as the turnout. It looked to be huge. I know the covered section had only 50 or seats left when I checked a few hours before the show. The lawn looked packed however, after 2 months of perfect,dry warm weather. It decided to rain all damn day!!! Actually stopping right before the start of the show. But it may hjave kept some people from making it out.

QUOTE (mgcygnus @ Aug 8 2010, 10:10 AM)
My Seattle experience was amazing. Had an aisle seat on the far left,Alex's side. Row 14. However. As soon as the show started I was able to make my way right to the stage barrier!! Basically creating an extra seat along the first row!!
I took over 100 pictures a couple that Alex "posed" for. Unfortunately they were with a basic point and shoot digital camera so the quality is some what sub par. I will post some as soon as I figure out how.

All three seemed to be having a great time. And the performance was one of their most energetic I've witnessed in the 30 plus times I've seen them.

Alex was being a major goof all night. Often posing for all photographers with his obligitory series of " silly faces". It was great to see him having so much fun.

One of the funniest moment being when he butchered one part of a song so badly Geddy turned to him and asked. " Where are you?" Alex proceeded to feign embarrassment and walked behind his amps to hide.

As far as the turnout. It looked to be huge. I know the covered section had only 50 or seats left when I checked a few hours before the show. The lawn looked packed however, after 2 months of perfect,dry warm weather. It decided to rain all damn day!!! Actually stopping right before the start of the show. But it may hjave kept some people from making it out.

I'd love to see some of the pics Al posed for! I watched him totally hamming it up for people.

That was downright hilarious when he tried to hide behind his amp! He was laughing hard about the mess up. laugh.gif

Agree about the crowd. Turnout was great. The place seemed packed. It drizzled all day. I think it stopped by the time the show started. We were in the covered part and that helped shield us from the weather.

QUOTE (pony2112 @ Aug 8 2010, 11:06 AM)
How big was the crowd?

how big?

HUGE

I recall seeing the R30 show at the same venue and the grass section was not very well packed. Lastnight there seemed to be no open grass anywhere.

Was kick ass! My daughter had a great time and couldn't believe that was Geddy Lee right in front of her face, awesome... uploading videos to youtube page. 1022.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 8 2010, 08:45 AM)
We waited well over 30 minutes at the merch stand but I walked away with the tote bag, a tour book and this tank:

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo228/LifesonPics/r7_0.jpg

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo228/LifesonPics/r8.jpg

The tour book is great! Tons of good pics.

Did they have the yellow muscle shirt for sale? Also the socks, & shoelaces?

If I can get them at the venue I won't order them.

here's my take on the show lastnight.

WOW

I've seen Rush several times in my live over their 36 year journey but the show last night at the White River Amphitheater in the Seattle area was by far their best. Their energy and enthusiasm and their love of playing and being energized by the capacity crowd was clear to see.

I would have to believe that in the past few tour cycles the band had done well financially with CD sales, DVD sales, Concert Merch sales etc because they spent a boat load of cash on their new stage. I was really impressed with their new light show setup, it was fantastic and the accompanying stage gear behind each member was top notch and fit the tour theme as well.

The setlist was a hit from top to bottom as they brought back songs from the time machine vault. Even their new songs BU2B and Caravan were received with fan favor. Usually when a band on tour plays their "new music" the crowd takes a **** break or goes to get a beer, but as with Rush fans the crowd had already listed to and accepted these new songs and we all loved them. BU2B is heavy, real heavy. Nothing calls out more than the opening of power chords to set the musical tone. Caravan in my mind will become a tour staple in the future for as long as the band continues to tour, it is a great song even more so live.

The size and energy of the crowd was amazing considering that as a band with a near 40 year recording history, most fans are old farts like myself. I recall going to see the R30 show at the same venue back in 2004. The covered seats were filled then and the grass above was about 1/2 full, last night on a cloudy, wet and rainy night in the Seattle area, there was not a blade of grass left to be had. It was awesome to see that many folks come out to witness the greatest band in the world perform up to their ability.

The members musicianship has never been questioned but holy cow, I really think they are getting better as they get older, they have to be. Geddy really attacks his bass live, really soaks up the crowds energy and mood and flows that back. Alex goofs off on stage and plays with the crowd, he draws them in with his silly smiles and I especially enjoy how he acts in a nonchalant manner during a solo, he wobbles his head like its nothing...fantastic. Neils drum solo when listening to it, you can hear bits and pieces of his previous offerings, but its all new. he used those old parts as bridges to new passages in his new solo. He's really quite a genius

Finally, the fun the band appears to be having fun in their rock and roll golden years is obvious for all to see. The love for the fans and the love of the fans for the band is without doubt. I've been to many concerts to see many bands but I have rarely seen it so where the band works this hard to really connect with the stage front crowd. I'm a happy and satisfied music lover this morning.

Always worth the price of admission, I can't think of another band that has since 1997 played a 3 hour set every night for every tour and rocked so hard doing so.

The concert was unbelievable, the best Rush show I've been to; never seen them having so much fun. Geddy sung the high verse of "Freewill" better than I could have imagined, and better than any other Time Machine tour videos I've watched. Neil was smiling non-stop, and in general it was beyond energetic. Two thumbs up, I was worried about the set list before the show, but even with questionable song choices in the first set (and second - I want to hear more than just Overture and Syrinx, damnit.) it was outstanding.

QUOTE (StainlessSteel @ Aug 8 2010, 02:13 PM)
The concert was unbelievable, the best Rush show I've been to; never seen them having so much fun. Geddy sung the high verse of "Freewill" better than I could have imagined, and better than any other Time Machine tour videos I've watched. Neil was smiling non-stop, and in general it was beyond energetic. Two thumbs up, I was worried about the set list before the show, but even with questionable song choices in the first set (and second - I want to hear more than just Overture and Syrinx, damnit.) it was outstanding.

my feelings exactly!

I might get flack for this, but I really enjoyed Time Stands Still. I always have, its a good "pop-ish" tune but done with Rush style.

QUOTE (mgcygnus @ Aug 8 2010, 12:10 PM)

That was funny. It was the part after the 2112 Intro and just before Temples starts where Geddy sings, "And the meek shall inherit the earth . . ."

Alex completely blew it. They were ALL laughing. It was pretty funny.