Question for Rush fans since 70s

By-Thor

I've been a fan since 1976. 2112 has always been my favorite and hemi close behind. I was in high school when Perm Waves came out. I didn't have a problem with the change because the synth was so similar to music of the 80's they simply "progressed" with the music of the time.

been a fan since 2112. I remember listening to Hemispheres when it was new and thinking if they made their songs a little more commercially appealing, the band would be huge. When I first popped on PeW, I thought wow, they did it. They made a more accessable album without selling out.

QUOTE (By-Thor @ Jul 8 2010, 12:41 AM)
So just tonight I was listening to my physical cd copy of "Permanent Waves" and it had been so long since I have listened to the entire album, I mean I listen to alot of those songs all the time but mostly killer live versions and not the studio album. So my question is to Rush fans who were fans BEFORE permanent waves, what was it like to go from Hemispheres and then open up "Permanent Waves" and immediately get hit with Spirit of Radio? It seems like that album was a definitive shift in the bands sound, so how did you take it?

I absolutely loved Hemispheres when it came out. It was probably the most perfect album I've ever listened to. I was blown away when PermWaves was released...the quintessential Rush album. They were as tight as a band could ever get.

I Shunned the PW and MP discs for the first couple years because I had grown up on 2112, RUSH etc. I was totally anti-commercial music at the time.

It took me a year or so to pick them and then fell in love with them. I was

fan since 77 so the band were already 5 albums in when i happened across them,never really thought much about different sounds back then ,to me it was rush and it was all good. smile.gif

I went backwards, I bought Hemispheres after Permanent Waves came out.

The Spirit of Radio was a real catchy and cool sounding tune to my 13 year old ears.

Then it just kept on getting better and better.......for me at least.

By then I was in the "they can do no wrong in my eyes" stage. I stayed in that mode until recently. Vapor Trails was their 1st studio album that I didn't love and Rush in Rio was the the 1st live album that didn't work for me. Both because of the mix. Oh, and I didn't even bother with Feedback.

I loved PeW and still do! Great tour too!

Archived