Don't know, won't know...

syd11

Ok guys, my July 3rd Rush show is only a week away. I've managed to

avoid spoilers for about 2 weeks now and will try not to read any more until after the show. Here's what I do know:

MP in it's entirety

Caravan and BU2B

Jacob's Ladder

4 - 5 S&A tunes (people "in the know" have mentioned)

Drum solo

TSOR most likely opening show

Probably playing some or all of these - The Trees, CTTH, 2112 Ov./Temples, Subdivisions, Freewill

This leaves me with about 1/3 of the show yet unknown.

Where will MP be played in the setlist?

What does Niel's kit look like this year?

Will they play anything off of Counterparts? Power Windows? Caress of Steel?

How does the Time Machine theme fit into the stage set up?

Does Xanadu make the cut this year?

Until........

7:30 pm July 3rd / Marcus Amphitheater / Milwaukee WI / Summerfest

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

If that's true the only thing I don't like is the 4-5 SnA songs. I was hoping for only 2 or so. Why would they play that many when it's a Time Machine tour? I want stuff they haven't played in a long time. And the more the better.

QUOTE (Checkster2112 @ Jun 27 2010, 09:53 AM)
Agreed. I'd be content with 3 or 4 S&A tunes, but anything more than that is a bit much for a new tour considering that did two full S&A tours.

Yep way enough S&A..

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Jun 27 2010, 11:20 AM)
Don't forget that the "4 to 5" S&A songs will most likely include Hope and Malignant Narcissism, both of which are extremely short.

Agreed. Also Far Cry is almost a lock because it did get some airplay.

I would think Workin' Them Angels is also very likely because of the film images of soldiers and with us (the U.S.) still being at war. I remember a lot of crowd response to the images on the last tour. If they kept it to those 4 songs I don't think it would be overkill.

Edited by syd11

A fair bet on the 5 S&A songs are:

Far Cry - duh

Malignant Narcissism - hinted at by Neil and is a solid rocker

Hope - possible acoustic section after the solo

Workin' Them Angels - mandolin picture pretty much locked this one in

The Way the Wind Blows - seems like a lot of people like this one

QUOTE (syd11 @ Jun 27 2010, 11:35 AM)
QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Jun 27 2010, 11:20 AM)
Don't forget that the "4 to 5" S&A songs will most likely include Hope and Malignant Narcissism, both of which are extremely short.

Agreed. Also Far Cry is almost a lock because it did get some airplay.

I would think Workin' Them Angels is also very likely because of the film images of soldiers and with us (the U.S.) still being at war. I remember a lot of crowd response to the images on the last tour. If they kept it to those 4 songs I don't think it would be overkill.

Agreed. I could maybe see another one getting in there, as Cygnus has mentioned, but I think those 4 are locks.

(I don't necessarily agree on your reason for Angels, though. I think it will be in there because it's a song about life's journey, mentioning vanished times and history receding in the rear view mirror. More than any song they've done since Moving Pictures, this song reminds me of that era.)

Edited by amish_ashaman

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jun 27 2010, 12:41 PM)
If they play any S&A songs other than Far Cry I'll be pissed.

Agreed. This tour isnt supporting that album, the album had awful sales, the crowds died at all 3 S&A shows I went to when they started that 2nd set. There's just no good reason to play anything other than Far Cry.

Id rather them play none of them, but if something is going to be in there it would be Far Cry.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 27 2010, 03:03 PM)
QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jun 27 2010, 12:41 PM)
If they play any S&A songs other than Far Cry I'll be pissed.

Agreed. This tour isnt supporting that album, the album had awful sales, the crowds died at all 3 S&A shows I went to when they started that 2nd set. There's just no good reason to play anything other than Far Cry.

Id rather them play none of them, but if something is going to be in there it would be Far Cry.

I'm not crazy about MalNar and Hope, but I view them as necessary evils. I'm only 43, but I think I might need a break in that second set, too. The guys are in their late 50's...if that one song break helps them stay sharp for the finale, I'm all for it. MalNar isn't my favorite instrumental (YYZ!!!), but it's kinda new for them, so I can see where they'd want to play it in that spot, and the same pretty much applies for Hope. I'd much prefer Alex to come out and cover "The Clap" or something like that, or Alex and Geddy do some freestyle spacy thing for 5 minutes.

I don't really think of these songs as taking up a slot in the setlist, because they are actually facilitating a longer, better show.

Edited by amish_ashaman

To piggy back on my last post, if Alex and Geddy came out after Neil's solo and did a couple of acoustic cover songs, that could be kinda fun. They could mix it up, play a different song or two every night, just have fun with it. If they want to do their "Feedback" thing, that would be a spot for it. I for one, would be interested to see what they played, as it would likely either be stuff that influenced them or stuff they were listening to now. Or they could play an acoustic version of an old Rush song that they may not want to attempt full speed for whatever reason. If Geddy doesn't hit all the notes on a song like that, who cares? It would basically be seen as a just for fun thing.

(I got this from seeing Trey Anastasio, Mike Gordon, Marco Benevento and Joe Russo. Marco and Joe started the show, then were joined by Trey and Mike. Marco and Joe then took a break and Trey and Mike sat with acoustic guitars and played 4-5 songs. Then Marco and Joe came back and they all finished the show together. It seemed like a cool way to do the break, and you never knew what Mike and Trey would play. When I saw them at the Ryman in Nashville, they played Doc Watson's "More Pretty Girls Than One", Willie Nelson's "On the Road Again" and a couple of Phish songs. How much fun would that be for everyone involved, if Alex and Geddy just played a couple of songs with basically no rules?)

Edited by amish_ashaman