RUSH's popularity- Iconic rise

briremo

QUOTE (briremo @ Jun 23 2010, 02:43 PM)
We all saw the guys on Colbert, the "I love You, Man" central figures, now the documentary. Why are they not on the Today Show's Summer Concert Series? Can you imagine a bunch of RUSH fans 'on the plaza" and the guys getting interviewed by Matt Lauer ( or Big Al interviewing Big Al !) and signing autographs for the fans. Jamming on the little stage with YYZ! My dreams come true. Shit if Steely Dan can do it, they can.

What else could management be doing to get this little band from Canada to "the next level".

matt lauer? i can't stand the guy, but hey, that's just me.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 23 2010, 06:15 PM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Jun 23 2010, 08:20 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 23 2010, 02:23 PM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Jun 23 2010, 06:29 PM)
QUOTE (briremo @ Jun 23 2010, 10:43 AM)
We all saw the guys on Colbert, the "I love You, Man" central figures, now the documentary. Why are they not on the Today Show's Summer Concert Series? Can you imagine a bunch of RUSH fans 'on the plaza" and the guys getting interviewed by Matt Lauer ( or Big Al interviewing Big Al !) and signing autographs for the fans. Jamming on the little stage with YYZ! My dreams come true. Shit if Steely Dan can do it, they can.

What else could management be doing to get this little band from Canada to "the next level".

facepalm.gif 062802puke_prv.gif OMG, if they went on that show I would be very disappointed!!

Are you kidding? Do you have any idea how much mainstream attention that would give Rush? Or is that the reason that you don't want it - you want your band to stay a cult band and shit?

wacko.gif Who gives a rat's ass about mainstream? laugh.gif I could care less about that BS!! BTW, having been a Rush fan since 1976 I don't need to be lectured on how much recognition the band needs. Especially by going on a piece of sh** show like the one mentioned! wink.gif

Edited to say, are you saying Rush is sh** for not going mainstream as you call it? confused13.gif

No, I'm not calling Rush shit for not going mainstream. Everyone knows that Rush sucks. Remember?

If you don't want millions of people to discover this band and go "HOLY SHIT THIS BAND IS GREAT" then that's fine, I just don't see how it makes sense. What I'm getting from your post is that them getting commercial attention equates to selling out. Maybe it's just how I'm reading it. But after the total lack of love from the media, I'd love to see this band become huge so the fans could say "f**k you" to everyone who's bashed them for all these years. Plus, if you ask me, the world needs some more Rush fans.

(And no, I'm not saying Rush should "sell out" to get attention. To me, selling out would be Rush making a radio-friendly record with no edge at all. If performing on one of these shows is selling out, then so was appearing on The Colbert Report and appearing in I Love You, Man.)

With all due respect young lady. The boy's are not young studs like you would like them to be. You would have to have been around in my time to realize my point. But that will never happen. Quit being so insecure about who thinks Rush is the best band in the world. Your wasting you time and energy . You can't force Rush on those that have no clue or have already made up there minds about the band. There place in history is already in cement!! biggrin.gif

And no, going on the today show would be a total disgrace and a sellout. You can't buy off a media that already hates the band!! That's where it all began in the 70's wink.gif

Oh I forgot to say.. I am really glad you love 2.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I'd love for our band to get more attention, to draw more fans, more converts...

But where are they going to come from? Surely not the over 30 crowd... that crowd was around when you could count arena bands on your fingers and toes. They surely already have heard of Rush, and decided whether they love or hate the band.

Under 30? I hold out hope here. There's just soooo many bands, soooo many genres, soooo many ways to "get out there":

-- youtube, MTV online

-- soundcloud, last.fm, itunes

-- pop tv shows, pop magazines

-- underground rags, cult tv shows

-- underground (college) stations, classic stations

-- internet forums, facebook, myspace

-- etc, ad nauseam

The younger generation is flooded with choices. The dumber, number simply gravitate to where the rest of the sheep go. Some of these we want, others will just not get *it*.

What to do? Marketing nightmare, purist's hell, long-time fan's whatever...

Too band Neil never writes about surfing that wave, catching the swell, and instead focuses on fantasy pools or swimming against the stream...

QUOTE (troutman @ Jun 24 2010, 12:19 AM)
With all due respect young lady.

Um... I'm not a young lady. I'm a young man. wink.gif

You're right. I wasn't around 30+ years ago when EVERYONE hated Rush, so I don't know what it was like.

And thanks... I'm proud to be a young Rush fan. There aren't many of us out there. 1022.gif

QUOTE (psionic11 @ Jun 24 2010, 01:01 AM)

Too band Neil never writes about surfing that wave, catching the swell, and instead focuses on fantasy pools or swimming against the stream...

"Superconductor", anyone? wink.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 23 2010, 02:46 PM)
QUOTE (briremo @ Jun 23 2010, 03:43 PM)

Bribe radio DJs to actually play their new music? confused13.gif

I have yet to hear it on the radio here. sad.gif

And get the radio stations to play something other than Limelight, TS or TSOR!!! (although the Boneyard on XM/Sirius is great...I've heard Xanadu, Jacob's Ladder and Fly by Night in the past week).

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 24 2010, 12:09 AM)

You're right. I wasn't around 30+ years ago when EVERYONE hated Rush, so I don't know what it was like.

And thanks... I'm proud to be a young Rush fan. There aren't many of us out there. 1022.gif

Dude, that avatar. Awesome. rofl3.gif

Talking about Rush and mainstream at this point in their careers doesnt make any sense. They were mainstream 30 years ago.

Now they are an old band that doesnt play the kind of music that popular rock bands play today. Them going mainstream as far as popular music goes is impossible for them now.

They are getting some attention lately, but its really more of just a tribute to them and what they've accomplished, it has nothing to do with any of their recent music.

I don't care about their popularity. As long as they're putting out good albums, touring, and can make a decent living at it, I can live with out mainstream tv spotlights. They've done it their way for decades so there's no need to do all that other jazz

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 24 2010, 09:27 AM)
I don't care about their popularity. As long as they're putting out good albums, touring, and can make a decent living at it, I can live with out mainstream tv spotlights. They've done it their way for decades so there's no need to do all that other jazz

trink39.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 24 2010, 08:27 AM)

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 23 2010, 08:09 PM)

laugh.gif

Sorry young man. tongue.gif Anyway, not EVERYONE hated Rush back then. If that was the case they would have fallen off a cliff decades ago!! People loved them and there fan base has alway's grown since day one. You will never understand that because you were not around to witness there progress with fans over there career. Again my point was the hatred from the music industry and critics. Rush were rebels and that's how we diehards liked it. A lot of younger people like myself wanted something different besides the same old sh** that was being put out there. Some great bands and tunes but Rush brought something new to the game. I don't understand the insecurity about how popular a band could or should be if only they did this or that. That's just silly. That's not what music is meant to be, regardless of the style of music. Hopefully some day you will realize that. trink39.gif

ok forget I even mentioned that dweeb Matt Lauer. How about SNL as a good forum for them. If Betty white can do it...

Archived