What Would Be The Toughest Song...

Tick

QUOTE (Solitudeix @ Jun 21 2010, 04:53 PM)
QUOTE (WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER @ Jun 21 2010, 04:50 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 21 2010, 04:36 PM)
QUOTE (WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER @ Jun 21 2010, 03:58 PM)
I figure A Farewell To Kings might be the toughest to match the studio vocal ranges. The entire song is sang at a high octave.

The verses arent that high, and neither is the first part of the chorus, but the 2nd part, withered hearts line, is way too high for him to sing.

Yeah, you're right...(that wasn't too hard to say)...

It's not as high pitch as I thought.

I just listened to it and thought damn maybe he could pull it off for the Time Machine but...

'BEATING down the multitudes....' and ... 'OOHHHH, Can't we raise....'

might be a tough sing.

And back then he sang that in full blast no falsetto fashion. Like he was in vocal levitation and looking and beaming down upon us. laugh.gif

Well he was young then. When I was in my 20s I could sing those higher parts perfectly, as good as him, but im 34 now and I cant nail it anymore. I can hit the higher notes in this song, but it doesnt sound good.

But to what others said about hemispheres, the difficulty in that song is the length. When I sign that now at my age I can get about halfway through it before my voice starts taking a dump on me, and by the time I get to the, "and all at once the chaos ceased" part, Im done for.

Voice is just too tired to hit the notes well.

QUOTE (WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER @ Jun 21 2010, 04:50 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 21 2010, 04:36 PM)
QUOTE (WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER @ Jun 21 2010, 03:58 PM)
I figure A Farewell To Kings might be the toughest to match the studio vocal ranges. The entire song is sang at a high octave.

The verses arent that high, and neither is the first part of the chorus, but the 2nd part, withered hearts line, is way too high for him to sing.

Yeah, you're right...(that wasn't too hard to say)...

It's not as high pitch as I thought.

I just listened to it and thought damn maybe he could pull it off for the Time Machine but...

'BEATING down the multitudes....' and ... 'OOHHHH, Can't we raise....'

might be a tough sing.

Oh, some others words he cant nail in that song now is at the end of the verses, eyes case out, and resistance. He's have to lower them I think.

For all I know maybe those verses are a little too high for him at his age, but drop it a little and I think he could handle it.

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Jun 21 2010, 04:37 PM)
Good call on Available Light.

Not really. no.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 21 2010, 05:28 PM)

Well he was young then. When I was in my 20s I could sing those higher parts perfectly, as good as him, but im 34 now and I cant nail it anymore. I can hit the higher notes in this song, but it doesnt sound good.

Its of course due to age and wear and tear.

He does have a difficult range to imitate on alot of the 70's stuff though.

There is a reason that the "banshee" comparison has stayed for so long.

I am a singer and I believe I'm right over every opinion thus far. atickhum.gif

Maybe you all need your memory refreshed, cause Geddy would have a f***ing hernia singing this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ltn56BtQ6k4

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 21 2010, 05:42 PM)

Maybe you all need your memory refreshed, cause Geddy would have a f***ing hernia singing this song.

That and The Fountain would make his head pop off.

QUOTE (Solitudeix @ Jun 21 2010, 06:48 PM)

true dat. atickhum.gif

Call yourself a singer you should be able to sing all the early Rush stuff in perfect clarity with perfect pitch, why can't you?

angry.gif

QUOTE (Solitudeix @ Jun 21 2010, 05:48 PM)

Would mine too, having to sit through that one.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 21 2010, 04:34 PM)
QUOTE (CygXanTor @ Jun 21 2010, 03:31 PM)
Are you kidding me? It's gotta be "Temples"...Why else would they have to bring it down so far when they play it live?  It's either that, or not play it at all...wacko.gif I understand the OP is referring to songs they haven't been playing, just sayin'...

Do you sing? Cygnus X-1 is far more difficult to sing. There's not much in it, but its very high, and he doesnt falsetto it. Even with a falsetto he cant hit those notes now, not even remotely close. They would have to drop it far more than the ever did for Syrinx.

Ok, but I'm thinking about how long Geddy had to sustain that pitch and volume...he had breaks in Cygnus X-1...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 21 2010, 06:58 PM)

Call yourself a singer you should be able to sing all the early Rush stuff in perfect clarity with perfect pitch, why can't you?

angry.gif

Who said I couldn't? atickhum.gif

Yep thats a tough one. Thats a song for young guys to sing, 20 year old vocal chords. So its another good example.

As is Hemispheres for its length, and Cygnus for those parts he could never come anywhere close to nailing.

It sucks getting old, so all they can do is drop keys to be able to play this stuff.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 21 2010, 07:23 PM)

Yep thats a tough one. Thats a song for young guys to sing, 20 year old vocal chords. So its another good example.

As is Hemispheres for its length, and Cygnus for those parts he could never come anywhere close to nailing.

It sucks getting old, so all they can do is drop keys to be able to play this stuff.

The vocal part of Cygnus X1 is just silly, insane. It almost cartoonish. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 21 2010, 02:08 PM)
I will go with, No One At The Bridge. atickhum.gif

I agree with tick here. I'll also add the first thing that popped in my head which was Cygnus-X1. If Ged tried to hit those notes today, he'd never sing again.

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 21 2010, 06:04 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 21 2010, 06:58 PM)

angry.gif

Who said I couldn't? atickhum.gif

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

QUOTE (CygXanTor @ Jun 21 2010, 04:31 PM)
Are you kidding me? It's gotta be "Temples"...Why else would they have to bring it down so far when they play it live? It's either that, or not play it at all...wacko.gif I understand the OP is referring to songs they haven't been playing, just sayin'...

Yeah, but there are other songs where he sings higher than that, and tuning down a step* wouldn't be enough to get into his current range. As mentioned, "Fly By Night" and "Cygnus X-1" are probably good examples.

* Meaning, a whole step. On the guitar that translates into tuning all the strings down a whole step, or two notes. For example, the E string is tuned down to D, the A down to G, etc. Both "Temples" and "Circumstances" were tuned down a whole step.

Boys I'm tellin' you:

My singer can hit notes inaudible to humans and the only song that gives him a hard time is Cygnus X-1. The rest are tough - don't get me wrong. But just from first hand experience with a really good singer that is the hardest hands down.

We play every other song mentioned as well.....

No One at the Bridge is a high song, it's highest being F# (desperation). Most of the parts vary from B to E tho.

Cygnus' highest note is a shredded Bb (torn apart). There are also other sections where he's hitting high G's and A's, above that Bridge F#. It also dwells mostly higher than Bridge, varying from C to F.

That half step makes a big difference when you're already in legendary Banshee land. Not to mention he's playing the bass hard as well. At least with Bridge he could concentrate on just singing.

There must be some decent vocal processor, some FX, Geddy could use nowadays. Like, sing an octave lower but the processor only ltes the audience hear his voice an octave higher. Sounding like a Banshee, and not a chipmunk...

I can only sing Cygnus by dropping it octaves and I still can't do anything with it. I gotta lend cred to the Hemispheres argument too. It is a really hard one to get through.

2112. Cygnus X-1 has some very high parts, but Temples, Presentation, and Soliloquy are all crazy high.

As for songs not played any more, Most '70s songs qualify. There's a reason most were dropped following ESL...