Isn't it About Time You Gave Rush Another Chance

Slaine mac Roth

Rush's debut album is, I think, one of the most divisive out of the band's entire catalogue. Just recently, I gave it a listen after quite a break. Because of this, I was able to distance myself from Rush as a band and listen to the album on its own merits.

The conclusion I came to is that, when you think about it, its not that bad.

OK, perhaps the standard of performance isn't quite up to what they achieved in later years but, when you think about it, they were only 20 years old and these were their first real recording sessions.

Lyrically, it may be simplistic but, if you read some of the interviews, the lyrics were, pretty much, made up on the spot. Considering that, do you really expect Coleridge or Wordsworth? Besides, the lyrics tend to fit the music which, in many cases, was rough, ready and naieve.

OK, John Rutsy was no Neil Peart. Then again, who is? Maybe John wasn't the greatest drummer in the world, not the most imaginative, but his style suited the first album perfectly. He kept the beat and linked with Geddy's bass to provide a solid backbone. What more do you want from a drummer?

The sound isn't that great. Well, what do you expect? The album was put together on a shoestring by an inexperienced band. Actually, for me, the sound is part of the attraction of the album, like it is with a lot of the late '60s/early '70s rock I listen to.

Rush, as an album, is raw. Its passionate (listen some of Alex's guitar work on Here Again or Geddy's vocals on Before and After). Its not the greatest album put on vinyl but, then again, its a long way from being the worst.

I suggest you do yourselves a favour and do what I did. Listen to it as an album in its own right - not as a Rush album. If you can distance yourself in this way, you may be in for an unexpected treat.

i like it, it has much to admire about it, i love the fact they sounded so self assured and some of the songs i can imagine being fan favourites.

but for me, it sounds a lot like Led Zeppelin, and i am not a massive fan of that band at all. i love Rush from CoS onwards. for me, Rush and Fly By Night are good, but not great.