My friends tease me about my taste in men

Rhosyn Helena

My best friend says that most of the guys I point out to her as "hot" are long-haired metalheads who look like rats sad.gif

I will give you and example:

I find this attractive:

http://i40.tinypic.com/2qnv3hh.png

And this:

http://i41.tinypic.com/140291.jpg

Well, you get the idea. I mean, I'm not limited to metalheads, but the thing is, I'm just so damn fed up of being criticized.

I like "weird" music, I find "weird" guys attractive, I wear "weird" clothes, I have a "weird" sense of humour... or whatever.

But goddam it half my friends like stuff that I think is weird! I don't laugh at them because of it!

So why do they have to be such assholes to me? Especially about the guy thing, that's the absolute worst. I've had so-called "friends" say really mean things to me and about me when I've told them who I like. So screw that, I just won't tell them anymore!

QUOTE (Rhosyn Helena @ May 12 2010, 10:32 AM)

huh.gif

Anyways, you're just in the minority which is why you get picked on for liking guys with long hair.. Ever since I got rid of my long hair I've been getting more attention from the ladies ( confused13.gif ), I don't get it much myself but it's just a preference I guess.

Normally the advice I'd give is: "Don't let it bother you too much getting made fun of for being different is just a part of life." ..But since your friends are the ones making fun of you, you should tell them to stop and to keep their negative thoughts about you to themselves, and let them know you give them the same respect.. If they don't stop making fun of you after that then they're not much of friends.

If someone says that something you do or like is weird, take it as a compliment, I do. cool.gif You're different, unique.

I've been told I have strange taste in men, screw it! They (the guys I like) make me happy, so to Hell with what anyone else thinks about them!

But as for this:

QUOTE (Rhosyn Helena @ May 12 2010, 06:32 PM)
So why do they have to be such assholes to me? Especially about the guy thing, that's the absolute worst. I've had so-called "friends" say really mean things to me and about me when I've told them who I like. So screw that, I just won't tell them anymore!

Oh boy, I know where you're coming from here.

My first rock crush (maybe a year or two into high school) was Freddie Mercury, who had already been dead at least 6 years, not to mention being gay! And I made the mistake of telling some people. Boy, did I catch Hell for that one! eh.gif

But hey, give as good as you get! Throw some insults at the guys they like, see how they like it! 1287.gif I did that myself. There was a girl in my class who had a thing for a boy in a different class in our year. But I thought he was thick and ugly! laugh.gif And I told her so - pissed her off immensly. Very satisfying. biggrin.gif

You're getting grief because you're young. Your friends believe they must "conform or be cast out" You're braver than they care to be...and so you must be scolded for not towing the line. Classic teenage socialization.

Stay true girlfriend...you will be better for it. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

(and you know...i'm almost 41...and I still think metalheads are cool)

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ May 13 2010, 03:19 PM)
You're getting grief because you're young. Your friends believe they must "conform or be cast out" You're braver than they care to be...and so you must be scolded for not towing the line. Classic teenage socialization.

Stay true girlfriend...you will be better for it. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

(and you know...i'm almost 41...and I still think metalheads are cool)

goodpost.gif

I have a friend who is even weirder... she makes fun of me because I love guys who look like those on the pics in your first post. But her own boyfriend looks like that, too! Poor boyfriend... she always tells me she doesn't like long hair and that she doesn't like his shoes and whatever... weird...

But so I can make fun of HER now. And I do it all the time. biggrin.gif

And I don't only love long haired metal-guys, I generally like "weird" guys... I seem to hate guys who look "good" to most people. So my friends are always wondering about my taste in men... but I don't care. confused13.gif biggrin.gif

Unfortunately, long hair on guys last looked cool in the 80s.

In fact, my hair was longer than my girlfriend's hair back then lol

Nice Hair = youth. So I think you're perfectly normal in being attracted to men with a shag. Too bad you can't get into a time machine and go back to the 80s though smile.gif

I just have to show you guys this.

My new boyfriend. Seriously.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l2h0pen7gg1qaoc56o1_400.png

Edited by Rhosyn Helena

I totally understand! I have been in love (or, at the very least, lust!) with Geddy since I was about 14. He still makes my heart flutter, even more so the older he gets! I've gotten SO much crap for it over the years. Hell, my cousin still makes the occasional dig at me for liking Geddy and Rush. I would always totally ignore the guys that my friends found attractive (even the ones who would hit on me!) and went after the guys that I liked! More for me!! And less competition!! biggrin.gif

My now husband had long hair when we met. He chopped it off and I didn't speak to him for days!! tongue.gif

Hang in there! There are a lot of us ladies who dig the metalheads!

I love when people try to get under my skin. It always translates into positive energy, knowing that they don't understand the fabulous secrets. biggrin.gif

I just think you have an attraction to guys with long hair. I think if any of these guys cut there hair, your perspective of them would change and you would no longer be interested.

I love guys with long hair. My boyfriend's hair is probably longer than mine but its curly so it doesn't appear that way. I love it.

But man if anyone ever made fun of the way he looks to my face they'd find a fist in THEIR face.

BTW that second guy in your first post is gorgeous.

Edited by GeddyLeefan2112

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Jun 30 2010, 06:52 PM)
I love guys with long hair. My boyfriend's hair is probably longer than mine but its curly so it doesn't appear that way. I love it.

But man if anyone ever made fun of the way he looks to my face they'd find a fist in THEIR face.

Easy does it! laugh.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 30 2010, 09:45 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Jun 30 2010, 06:52 PM)

Easy does it! laugh.gif

Ain't no one gunna disrespect mah man! angry.gif 1287.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Jun 30 2010, 05:52 PM)

BTW that second guy in your first post is gorgeous.

Good for you! My husband, at one time, had longer hair than me! Still haven't forgiven him for chopping it all off! rage.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 30 2010, 05:45 PM)
I just think you have an attraction to guys with long hair. I think if any of these guys cut there hair, your perspective of them would change and you would no longer be interested.

You are very right, Tick! I was really, REALLY upset when my husband chopped his hair!

QUOTE (Rhosyn Helena @ May 12 2010, 12:32 PM)
My best friend says that most of the guys I point out to her as "hot" are long-haired metalheads who look like rats sad.gif

I will give you and example:
I find this attractive:
http://i40.tinypic.com/2qnv3hh.png

And this:

Well, you get the idea. I mean, I'm not limited to metalheads, but the thing is, I'm just so damn fed up of being criticized.

I like "weird" music, I find "weird" guys attractive, I wear "weird" clothes, I have a "weird" sense of humour... or whatever.
But goddam it half my friends like stuff that I think is weird! I don't laugh at them because of it!

You can like whoever and whatever you want! Be proud of being different! (besides, it gives guys a chance to be different and still get a date! wink.gif ) GO AFTER IT, GIRL!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Is it just me or could these two guys pass for a younger version of you know who and you know who? There maybe larger issues than JUST guys with long hair at work here. 2.gif cool.gif wink.gif

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Jul 27 2010, 04:40 PM)
I love unique people. Don't conform. Be who you are. This is what makes you an amazing person.

yes.gif goodpost.gif

And, believe me, there will come a day when you come across your old friends from high school, and they will look at you an not believe the incredibly gorgeous, successful person that you have become, while they settled for the ordinary and are unhappy. Like what you want and don't let others dictate to you how to be happy.

Worked for a certain Canadian band I can think of... cool.gif

QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Jul 27 2010, 02:55 PM)
I love unique people. Don't conform. Be who you are. This is what makes you an amazing person.

yes.gif goodpost.gif

And, believe me, there will come a day when you come across your old friends from high school, and they will look at you an not believe the incredibly gorgeous, successful person that you have become, while they settled for the ordinary and are unhappy. Like what you want and don't let others dictate to you how to be happy.

Nickelback, right?

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Jul 27 2010, 05:15 PM)
QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Jul 27 2010, 02:55 PM)

yes.gif goodpost.gif

Nickelback, right?

sarcasm.gif

Surely, you jest...those guys suck. tongue.gif

The guy I liked (which turned out to be a complete asshole):

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs423.ash1/23450_1330037565659_1072564147_1042263_762110_n.jpg

(Maybe he's not that ugly, but my dad thought it was weird of me to like an albino guy)

The two old men I'm COMPLETELY obssesed and inlove and in lust and in everything with tongue.gif :

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af330/WinnieMarianela/Rush/0271d0a3.jpg wub.gif drool1.gif heart.gif

AND I'm only 13 years old!

I don't care what people say about Geddy or Alex or the guy I liked (at least when I used to like him). I live happy liking these gorgeous old men! tongue.gif I do, really! I live happy with the MEGA collection of pictures of them in my iPod (2,566 pics... HONESTLY!). I show them around to EVERYONE! I show them to my mom, dad, little 5 year-old brother, grandma, friends of every age, teachers, and so on... They all say I'm crazy! laugh.gif All I do is laugh, but not because I want to pretend it doesn't hurt me, but because it's funny! rofl3.gif I actually enjoy when people say I'm out of my mind for these things! I'm happy being me! biggrin.gif So yeah... Don't ever give a f*ck about what people say; simply enjoy life and enjoy being your own crazy or weird or whatever-people-call-you-self. If you know who you really are inside, then there's no problem! wink.gif smile.gif