Why I left Facebook

Mara

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jan 7 2011, 02:33 PM)
Just watched the documentary on CNBC last nite about Facebook. Very interesting. Of course they use cookies to personalize your ads, but I don't see what's so bad about that. At least i'm not looking at ads of things that I have no interest in.

I'm not getting unsolicited emails or phone calls from anyone. I'm getting ADS on the side of my page. Big deal?

I see nothing evil about them, or "big brother"ish about them either. Zuckerburg didn't invent cookie monitoring. He just happens to have the BIGGEST online site that does it. The people at facebook created an amazing marketing site that gives us a free social network. I can't see anything wrong with it.

I know you love Facebook. I use it sparingly so I'm not going to be a hypocrite. Its got some good points but also some negative ones.

As you have pointed out before it allows you to have almost your own website for free. That is cool.

It also allows radical groups to reach larger audiences. Pedophiles probably enjoy it as well. Also, I'm sure it can open doors for hackers if your not careful. I don't thinks its negatives have anything to do with its creator. Its just so big, bad people will no doubt try and capitalize on it. That is life.

As with anything, the choice is yours to be part of it or don't be. No one puts a gun to your head to be on Facebook.

Use it or don't.

I tried to take over the world and so far I have failed. I am just not smart enough to accomplish such a task........YET! atickhum.gif

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (tick @ Jan 7 2011, 02:49 PM)
I tried to take over the world and so far I have failed. I am just not smart enough to accomplish such a task........YET! atickhum.gif

I believe you are smart enough to accomplish such a task. You just haven't figured out the plan yet.

atickhum.gif atickhum.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Jan 7 2011, 03:49 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jan 7 2011, 02:33 PM)
Just watched the documentary on CNBC last nite about Facebook.  Very interesting.  Of course they use cookies to personalize your ads, but I don't see what's so bad about that.  At least i'm not looking at ads of things that I have no interest in. 

I'm not getting unsolicited emails or phone calls from anyone.  I'm getting ADS on the side of my page.  Big deal? 

I see nothing evil about them, or "big brother"ish about them either.  Zuckerburg didn't invent cookie monitoring.  He just happens to have the BIGGEST online site that does it.  The people at facebook created an amazing marketing site that gives us a free social network.  I can't see anything wrong with it.

I know you love Facebook. I use it sparingly so I'm not going to be a hypocrite. Its got some good points but also some negative ones.

As you have pointed out before it allows you to have almost your own website for free. That is cool.

It also allows radical groups to reach larger audiences. Pedophiles probably enjoy it as well. Also, I'm sure it can open doors for hackers if your not careful. I don't thinks its negatives have anything to do with its creator. Its just so big, bad people will no doubt try and capitalize on it. That is life.

As with anything, the choice is yours to be part of it or don't be. No one puts a gun to your head to be on Facebook.

Use it or don't.

Bad people can be on any social network or forum. We all know that.

If you're posting that you're going out, leaving your house wide open, or that your children are alone... then sure... you run a higher risk of running into one of these bad people. Bad people can even sucker you in. I mean, i know for a fact that I've been bamboozled on the internet by people I THOUGHT were good folks and unfortunately were scum. It happens. I don't blame the internet, the site, or even the bad person themselves. It always comes down to it being my own fault.

I'm not doing those things on facebook. I don't talk about where i'm going until i'm back. I don't give out my address or my kids address. If I DO post something that's confidential to only a select few, i update my settings. I have many picture folders on facebook that not everyone can see. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to adjust your privacy settings, and it's smart to check them weekly, to make sure that when facebook makes an upgrade, they don't reset privacy settings to a default setting. Something they've done before that one lady tries to blame THEM for her getting fired from her teaching position, AFTER she posted how much she hated the kids and called them names. z7shysterical.gif Yeah... that's FACEBOOK'S fault. eyesre4.gif

In my personal experience, i've found more assholes in smaller online communities than on facebook. I've found great people too, but the asshole ratio is larger in smaller groups where you don't have control of who you agree to be friends with. I like that control.

I really have nothing against it - it just isn't for me. As I said, I did briefly establish an alter there after deleting my original account, but that was primarily so that I could view friends' pictures and the like. For now, anyway, those friends are happy to make those picture pages public when they send me the link, so I don't have to join to see them.

Lesson learned, though - I will never, ever join a forum or other internet group using my real name. Unless I follow through on the occasional suggestion (since I hate my real name) to just change it to "Mara"!

After a couple of years I was there, I finally decided to delete my account. I had no use for it. If I want to be in touch with someone I was friends with there, I have phone and messenger. Those friends, who only wished me happy birthday or people I know, but never have talked to, I don't need. And now I don't get those annoying emails from facebook

I hope you guys know that your info is still stored on their servers. If you try to login, it will still reactivate your account. You never actually "delete" your account, simply deactivate it.

I was pissed when I found out.

QUOTE (usb_connector @ Jan 7 2011, 05:33 PM)
I hope you guys know that your info is still stored on their servers. If you try to login, it will still reactivate your account. You never actually "delete" your account, simply deactivate it.

I had to finally kill off the original e-mail account I had linked with FB. They kept trying to coax me back. If I opened the e-mail they sent - BINGO, account reactivated! Since Yahoo's filters suck, trying to throw FB into the spam folder didn't work.

I've also noticed that FB seems to be a catalyst for an awful lot of drama. Granted, the people involved in the drama probably would attract it even without FB. Don't need it, though.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jan 7 2011, 08:56 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jan 7 2011, 08:43 PM)
Best site on the internet right now.  I can't believe how it has changed my life.

how has it improved your life, I'm curious?

Hooked up with folks I haven't spoken with in over 20 years (primary school, vacations, etc). Managed to track down a friend I haven't spoken to since grade 9 and he bought my extra Rush tickets off me and we had a blast.

Had several high school reunions all planned with the event features of FB. I couldn't believe how organized and simple it was.

Friend started a band. So far the musician fan page feature of FB has been a huge part of him getting started in his career.

The integration features of my mobile PC are amazing. The APIs are awesome.

I enjoy my own moderation of the content I want to share with friends. My Rush friends are separate from my high school friends, my family, my photographer friends etc etc.

Basically the experience is what you make it. It's no coincidence it is now the #2 site behind Google.

About Facebook advertising that folks see as annoying,etc....do you mean to tell me that you guys actually look at that? I pretty much block it all out automatically. I may see something for a split second but after that I race right by it without intentionally racing by it.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jan 7 2011, 10:11 PM)
About Facebook advertising that folks see as annoying,etc....do you mean to tell me that you guys actually look at that? I pretty much block it all out automatically. I may see something for a split second but after that I race right by it without intentionally racing by it.

use ad block for your browser and you don't see them.

My friend's band paid for those ads. Helped get a lot of traffic.

QUOTE (usb_connector @ Jan 7 2011, 04:33 PM)

But there is a secret way to truly delete it. It's impossible to find it almost.

You know what's kinda fishy? The website that tells you how to permanently delete it is constantly being shut down. Sometimes it's up, and sometimes it's down.

Besides that, I don't really have anything against Facebook. I do however, do not like people that use it like there's no tomorrow. Wouldn't you be doing something else if there's no tomorrow? For example, I was at my cousin's house celebrating my father's birthday. His birthday is a day before my cousin's, so we stay at the house until 3 in the morning to celebrate both birthdays. My cousin and aunt are ADDICTED to facebook. At midnight, my aunt is on the computer because she wants to be the first person to say Happy Birthday on Facebook. doh.gif I think it means a lot more to a person when you say Happy Birthday in person. But that's just me, apparently.

People just use it the wrong way. Who am I to say what's wrong and what's right? I'm me. I think people use it the wrong way, when in fact, they might be using it the right way. But to me, it is the wrong way.

The correct way to use it, in my opinion, is to keep in touch with close friends and relatives when there is no other way. Not to get as many friends as possible and get 8352735876873690384026843906 likes on a silly picture. I quit it once, and started it again to look for a singer for my band. In literally FOUR minutes I had 57 friends. I thought for a second...this is pathetic. So many people just add me to have more friends because it is what's COOL nowadays. I decided it wasn't for me, and that I would sing for my band, even if I suck.

Anyways, forgive my ranting. Remember, it's all my opinion. I could be (and am probably) wrong.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Jan 7 2011, 11:06 PM)
QUOTE (usb_connector @ Jan 7 2011, 04:33 PM)

But there is a secret way to truly delete it. It's impossible to find it almost.

You know what's kinda fishy? The website that tells you how to permanently delete it is constantly being shut down. Sometimes it's up, and sometimes it's down.

Besides that, I don't really have anything against Facebook. I do however, do not like people that use it like there's no tomorrow. Wouldn't you be doing something else if there's no tomorrow? For example, I was at my cousin's house celebrating my father's birthday. His birthday is a day before my cousin's, so we stay at the house until 3 in the morning to celebrate both birthdays. My cousin and aunt are ADDICTED to facebook. At midnight, my aunt is on the computer because she wants to be the first person to say Happy Birthday on Facebook. doh.gif I think it means a lot more to a person when you say Happy Birthday in person. But that's just me, apparently.

People just use it the wrong way. Who am I to say what's wrong and what's right? I'm me. I think people use it the wrong way, when in fact, they might be using it the right way. But to me, it is the wrong way.

The correct way to use it, in my opinion, is to keep in touch with close friends and relatives when there is no other way. Not to get as many friends as possible and get 8352735876873690384026843906 likes on a silly picture. I quit it once, and started it again to look for a singer for my band. In literally FOUR minutes I had 57 friends. I thought for a second...this is pathetic. So many people just add me to have more friends because it is what's COOL nowadays. I decided it wasn't for me, and that I would sing for my band, even if I suck.

Anyways, forgive my ranting. Remember, it's all my opinion. I could be (and am probably) wrong.

I know someone who goes through everyone's friends lists and adds everyone. He has almost 4000 friends, and only know a few. Its not "cool" to have thousands of friends you don't know. Also, I hate when someone posts a picture and then says they don't like it. They are obviously looking for attention, why else would you post a picture of yourself and say it was ugly??

I use facebook to talk to people I know, and to follow people and bands.

If used correctly, it is great; if not, its stupid.

Archived