"They Call Him Flipper, Flipper......" Check Out

RUSHHEAD666

I have a problem with these things - an internal conflict. I cant stand cruelty to animals, but, meat, no matter how one looks at it, is produced by "not being so nice to animals". And I like to eat meat. So its easy for me to be enraged at dolphin treatment, but if pigs, steer, and chickens could walk and talk, would they not call me and say, 'hey asshole, any idea how i get treated before your juicy steak comes to your table?'.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 30 2010, 08:50 AM)
I have a problem with these things - an internal conflict. I cant stand cruelty to animals, but, meat, no matter how one looks at it, is produced by "not being so nice to animals". And I like to eat meat. So its easy for me to be enraged at dolphin treatment, but if pigs, steer, and chickens could walk and talk, would they not call me and say, 'hey asshole, any idea how i get treated before your juicy steak comes to your table?'.

Well, we do breed the cattle for that express purpose so I don't lose any sleep over it. As someone who's killed, skinned, gutted, and eaten small game I suppose I'm more inured to it than those who have never done so.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 30 2010, 10:12 AM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 30 2010, 08:50 AM)
I have a problem with these things - an internal conflict.  I cant stand cruelty to animals, but, meat, no matter how one looks at it, is produced by "not being so nice to animals".  And I like to eat meat.  So its easy for me to be enraged at dolphin treatment, but if pigs, steer, and chickens could walk and talk, would they not call me and say, 'hey asshole, any idea how i get treated before your juicy steak comes to your table?'.

Well, we do breed the cattle for that express purpose so I don't lose any sleep over it. As someone who's killed, skinned, gutted, and eaten small game I suppose I'm more inured to it than those who have never done so.

I see what you're saying. L1990. Livestock, well, know this can be picked apart a million different ways, but as Jack said, that's why they are raised.

If we didn't eat them there's a reasonable chance that some of those species would have died out. Or something else would be eating them.

That said, I definitely think farming and slaughter could be more humane than is currently the large-scale practice. What Jack describes happening to the dolphins is downright brutal.

One last bit about the doco. One of the people in the film who is trying to stop this related a story wherein he was talking to one of the Japanese fisherman about this practice and the fisherman actually referred to it as "pest control". The mind reels.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 30 2010, 09:50 AM)

I need only defer to the expert in this field, Dr. Denis Leary:

"Don't eat the tuna!"

"What?"

"Don't eat the tuna!!!!"

"Why?"

"The dolphins are getting stuck in the nets!"

"What about the tuna?"

"Well f**k them, they taste good!"

Hey, I love the animals too. I love my doggy. He's so cute. My fluffy little dog. He's so cute -- there's the problem. We only want to save the cute animals, don't we? Yeah. Why don't we just have animal auditions. Line 'em up one by one and interview them individually.

"What are you?"

"I'm an otter."

"And what do you do?"

"I swim around on my back and do cute little human things with my hands!"

"You're free to go. And what are you?"

"I'm a cow."

"Get in the f**king truck, ok pal!"

"But I'm an animal!"

"You're a baseball glove! Get on that truck!"