Calling out Geddy Lee

GeminiRising79

QUOTE (syrinxpriest 2112 @ Feb 11 2010, 12:59 PM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Feb 11 2010, 12:32 PM)
QUOTE (syrinxpriest 2112 @ Feb 11 2010, 02:06 AM)
As a bassist, I prefer the Wal over all of them. I play a Geddy Jazz; it's badass, and I love it. I also play a Status-Graphite Kingbass, and to be honest, I'd love to see Geddy use Status basses.

Then again, I'm not gonna tell Geddy f***ing Lee what kind of bass he should play.

I will. You're less than intelligent if you don't ponder the advice from every source.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Rush always been a group that strives to not do what everyone tells them to do? Maybe he's sticking with fender basses cause he likes them best. I take it you're not a musician, then you'd know that it's uncomfortable and difficult to play an instrument you dislike. You perform best with an instrument that feels the best. I'm not going to call someone who performs in front off 20,000 people every night "less intelligent" cause he uses the instrument he likes the best.

I would never let playing comfort preempt (and compromise) a desired sound quality/character. This undermines artistic value and cheapens what you are giving to your audience. The Rickenbacker is Geddy's signature guitar in both sound dynamics and looks. The Jazz bass is nice, but cannot replace the unmistakable essence of the Rick.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Feb 11 2010, 03:51 PM)
As a bassist, I prefer the Wal over all of them. I play a Geddy Jazz; it's badass, and I love it. I also play a Status-Graphite Kingbass, and to be honest, I'd love to see Geddy use Status basses.

Then again, I'm not gonna tell Geddy f***ing Lee what kind of bass he should play.

I will. You're less than intelligent if you don't ponder the advice from every source.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Rush always been a group that strives to not do what everyone tells them to do? Maybe he's sticking with fender basses cause he likes them best. I take it you're not a musician, then you'd know that it's uncomfortable and difficult to play an instrument you dislike. You perform best with an instrument that feels the best. I'm not going to call someone who performs in front off 20,000 people every night "less intelligent" cause he uses the instrument he likes the best.

I would never let playing comfort preempt (and compromise) a desired sound quality/character. This undermines artistic value and cheapens what you are giving to your audience. The Rickenbacker is Geddy's signature guitar in both sound dynamics and looks. The Jazz bass is nice, but cannot replace the unmistakable essence of the Rick.

You go play a 3 hour show about every 2 nights for 2 years straight and then come back to us and tell us if playing comfort is important to you.

QUOTE (Alex @ Feb 11 2010, 04:14 PM)

You go play a 3 hour show about every 2 nights for 2 years straight and then come back to us and tell us if playing comfort is important to you.

This.

He's a highly-paid musician, ffs. There are obviously musicians that play 5-6 nights a week for the same (or longer) periods of time for almost infinitely less money than Geddy. Quit making excuses for the guy. He's been doing this long enough that its cake "work".

And, btw, how excrutiating is it to play a Rick on an alternating basis during a show?? There are other factors involved here that are intrinsically related to sponsorship/money.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Feb 11 2010, 04:47 PM)

He's a highly-paid musician, ffs. There are obviously musicians that play 5-6 nights a week for the same (or longer) periods of time for almost infinitely less money than Geddy. Quit making excuses for the guy. He's been doing this long enough that its cake "work".

And, btw, how excrutiating is it to play a Rick on an alternating basis during a show?? There are other factors involved here that are intrinsically related to sponsorship/money.

I have both the Rickenbacker 4001 and the Fender Jazz Bass (GL)

The Rickenbacker 4001 is 1/2 lb. heavier than the Fender Jazz Bass.

The weight issue is a non issue.

The Jazz Bass is a great sounding bass. BUT the Rickenbacker has a tone to it that is more unique and to me, at least, seems to sound better with Rush.

The WAL era was interesting, and those same songs played on the Rick sound even more interesting. Maybe not the best sound for all of that stuff, but on some tracks, the Rick sounds awesome.

The biggest complaint about Rickenbackers is the hard edge on the top edge of the bass where the white binding is. Some players complain that it digs into their arms. I really don't think that was a complaint of Geddy's.

Bottom line. Geddy can use whatever bass he wants to.

My favorite of those basses is the Rickenbacker 4001.

I'd love to hear Geddy's run in stereo again, and to hear it on tracks like some of the VT and S&A stuff. It adds a crunch and growl that the Jazz Bass just dosen't have.

Just my .02.

BTW, he brought out the Rickenbacker 4001 for A Passage to Bangkok because he has been getting sick of people asking him "where's the Rick?"

Gemini, you must not play any instruments at all, because comfort means a hell of a lot to a musician, especially to someone playing 5-6 nights a week. I play my guitars at home in my living room, and there are a couple I gravitate to because they are more comfortable to play than the other three.

Like someone said, he broke out the double-neck on the S&S tour. Considering how many hats he has to wear on stage, I certainly understand why he wants to keep his setup simple by plugging direct. To my obviously limited hearing range, the sound doesn't take that much from the fact that he is still one of the better bass players in the world to this day. The only complaint I had was several years ago that his live sound was a little too jangly, and that was fixed this time out.

Your cynic is showing dude, because the tired old argument of "he sponsors these basses, so that's all he cares about, the money" just came out of your mouth. I don;t need to defend him, but all this facacta whining about Rush's sound needs to effing stop, right effing now. Those of you who want to stay in the 70s, stay there. We are talking about a band (that we are all fans of) that is close to riding off into the sunset, who have had a hell of a 35 year career, who are a hell of a lot closer to the end than they are to the beginning. They have made great music together, they are in their middle 50s, and its time to shut the hell up and support them, or jump off the bandwagon because they no longer are doing what *you* think they should do. Take a look at The Who's barely adequate performance during Super Bowl halftime. That could be our beloved band in 7-10 years. And for the record, if that is in their future, I would rather they retire now than go that route.

Of course I am going off of the possibility that this is a real complaint and not just some random trolling. If its the latter, then that makes you worse than you already are for having a ridiculous take

----------------

Now playing: Ozzy Osbourne - [Tribute #10] Children of the Grave (live - [foobar2000 v1.0]

via FoxyTunes

QUOTE (Rendclaw @ Feb 11 2010, 06:55 PM)
Gemini, you must not play any instruments at all, because comfort means a hell of a lot to a musician, especially to someone playing 5-6 nights a week. I play my guitars at home in my living room, and there are a couple I gravitate to because they are more comfortable to play than the other three.

Like someone said, he broke out the double-neck on the S&S tour. Considering how many hats he has to wear on stage, I certainly understand why he wants to keep his setup simple by plugging direct. To my obviously limited hearing range, the sound doesn't take that much from the fact that he is still one of the better bass players in the world to this day. The only complaint I had was several years ago that his live sound was a little too jangly, and that was fixed this time out.

Your cynic is showing dude, because the tired old argument of "he sponsors these basses, so that's all he cares about, the money" just came out of your mouth. I don;t need to defend him, but all this facacta whining about Rush's sound needs to effing stop, right effing now. Those of you who want to stay in the 70s, stay there. We are talking about a band (that we are all fans of) that is close to riding off into the sunset, who have had a hell of a 35 year career, who are a hell of a lot closer to the end than they are to the beginning. They have made great music together, they are in their middle 50s, and its time to shut the hell up and support them, or jump off the bandwagon because they no longer are doing what *you* think they should do. Take a look at The Who's barely adequate performance during Super Bowl halftime. That could be our beloved band in 7-10 years. And for the record, if that is in their future, I would rather they retire now than go that route.

Of course I am going off of the possibility that this is a real complaint and not just some random trolling. If its the latter, then that makes you worse than you already are for having a ridiculous take

----------------
Now playing: Ozzy Osbourne - [Tribute #10] Children of the Grave (live -  [foobar2000 v1.0]
via FoxyTunes

Don't mind Gemini ( Toots ) Rising....it's just that time of the month. trink39.gif

----------------
Now playing: Ozzy Osbourne - [Tribute #10] Children of the Grave (live - [foobar2000 v1.0]
via FoxyTunes

Wow, good posting dude.

Listen, i long for the glory days as well. But like all things in life, change happens. I for one am glad that Rush refuses to turn into a golden oldies act. Do i love the 1975-1987 Rush more then the current version?..Overall, yes. That's what made me love them as a band.

I still love Geddys playing , and i think his tone is fine. And i love the Rick era as well. I dont think it warrants bashing him at all. The man is still a master musician.

----------------
Now playing: Ozzy Osbourne - [Tribute #10] Children of the Grave (live -  [foobar2000 v1.0]
via FoxyTunes

Very well said, man.

I own a Fender Jazz (geddy model), and I have to say, it is THE MOST comfortable bass I've played. And yes I have played a Rickenbacker. It sounds nice, but ya know what? That doesn't mean the jazz doesn't sound good. Comfort is very important, no matter what instrument you're playing. So Mr. Gemini can shove it. If the Gedman wants his Fender, he has his Fender. End of story.

QUOTE (Tarkus407 @ Feb 12 2010, 01:41 AM)

----------------
via FoxyTunes

Very well said, man.

I own a Fender Jazz (geddy model), and I have to say, it is THE MOST comfortable bass I've played. And yes I have played a Rickenbacker. It sounds nice, but ya know what? That doesn't mean the jazz doesn't sound good. Comfort is very important, no matter what instrument you're playing. So Mr. Gemini can shove it. If the Gedman wants his Fender, he has his Fender. End of story.

Fine. And Geddy can continue to play his Fender with the reality that he's selling his fans short and compromising his once-sacred artistic integrity.

And, btw- There are no shortage of guys like yourself who will always kowtow to your favorite rock musicians. On this basis your opinions are largely null and void.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Feb 12 2010, 08:28 PM)

----------------
via FoxyTunes

Very well said, man.

Fine. And Geddy can continue to play his Fender with the reality that he's selling his fans short and compromising his once-sacred artistic integrity.

If you ask me, I'd say he's PRESERVING his "artistic integrity" by playing what he (the artist) thinks sounds and feels the best for his (not anyone elses) music (art.)

Call me crazy, but I think he just likes playing the Jazz bass better.

QUOTE (syrinxpriest 2112 @ Feb 13 2010, 12:45 AM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Feb 12 2010, 08:28 PM)

----------------
via FoxyTunes

Very well said, man.

If you ask me, I'd say he's PRESERVING his "artistic integrity" by playing what he (the artist) thinks sounds and feels the best for his (not anyone elses) music (art.)

Call me crazy, but I think he just likes playing the Jazz bass better.

He DOES like the Jazz Bass more. And he used a Rick from 1974-1983.

Nine years.

The Jazz was used from 1980-1983, and then again from 1994-2008.

Let's see, so far that's 18 years worth of the Jazz Bass. I'd say that Geddy prefers the Fender Jazz Bass to ANY OTHER BASS in his arsenal.

I still like the Rickenbacker 4001 though. Still sounds better. bolt.gif

I think the Fender is fine for the songs it was intended for, but nothing more.

On a side note I think it is also a travesty for Alex to trade off his original guitars, etc. for the PRS, and then the H&K speakers. He's phased out the Chorus effect which is also a signature effect for him. Older songs just do not have the magic they once had when they used original equipment. Therefore, I'm sad to say I won't be attending any future Rush shows if they don't use these instruments to a significant degree. Call me a purist, but I consider it a great compromise to put on a show in this fashion.

You know, sometime, long ago, somebody was pissed that Geddy stopped using his Teardrop P-Bass, and his Ampeg SVT's and FIRST Rickenbacker 4001 (with the white ring around the bridge) BOTH doublenecks, Steinberger bass, Wal bass, Moog Taurus Pedals, BGW power amps, Ashley preamps, Ampeg 2X15' cabs, Trace Elliot spkr. cabs, refrigerators, vending machines................

RUSH has never been about staying the same.

That was a fact when Fly By Night was released.

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Feb 13 2010, 12:05 PM)
You know, sometime, long ago, somebody was pissed that Geddy stopped using his Teardrop P-Bass, and his Ampeg SVT's and FIRST Rickenbacker 4001 (with the white ring around the bridge) BOTH doublenecks, Steinberger bass, Wal bass, Moog Taurus Pedals, BGW power amps, Ashley preamps, Ampeg 2X15' cabs, Trace Elliot spkr. cabs, refrigerators, vending machines................

RUSH has never been about staying the same.
That was a fact when Fly By Night was released.

True, but nothing sounds as sweet and magical as the instrument that was used for the original recording.

I just think Gemini longs for the older classic sound of Rush.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to wish for those days to make even the slightest return.

We all (Gemini included) know the chances of even seeing the Rickenbacker on the next tour are slim. That is why (and I'm only guessing) that he is making this pitch.

Geddy's old rig used to be in stereo. He probably took up four channels on the board with two going direct and two being mic'ed. That is a lot more sound to blend together and different venues need different sound attention. It's a lot of work and more time consuming to get it dialed in.

I'm sure Geddy would rather have a system that is a little simpler to work with.

As much as Gemini and myself for that matter want Geddy to record and tour with that Rickenbacker, we both know that it's 99.9999% not going to happen.

It's all up to Geddy when it comes to what bass or amp system he wants to use. He can get more usable tones from the Fender, wheras the Rickenbacker is more one dimensional. That's alright for us but not for Geddy. If Rush were to do a tour that featured only songs from the 1974-1982 era, well then the Rick would be bass numeral uno.

Here's something to think about. To this day plenty of people don't know exactly what bass was used for some of the PeW and MP tracks, so if we approach it from that standpoint, it really dosen't matter. It all sounds pretty good.

Even though the Rick would probably cut through the live mix better, the lack of low end (not the same as Fender) is something Geddy wanted to stay away from and the fact that most of the set comprises songs from post 1982, the better overall choice would be the Fender.

Now, if Rush decided to do a big chunk of older material and keep it all together in the set, then it would make sense to use the Rick for a more authentic sound. And that makes me think about how cool it would have been for Geddy to have used the Rick for the R30 opening medley and then right into The Spirit of Radio.

Either way, whatever bass Geddy uses in the studio or on tour will not be the deal breaker as to wether I would attend a show or buy the next disc.

I go to the show to see one of the greatest rock bassists ever doing what he does best and that is to give us fans (and fellow bass players) a solid performance and send us home to pick up our basses and try harder to achive that level of playing. The brand of instrument isn't going to change wether we are inspired by his playing or not.

Mr. Krinkle- Thanks for that excellent and informative post. I agree the chances are very slight that Geddy will bring out the 4001 for the songs it was intended for. It is very predictable that at this point in their ages/careers that Rush would go for more user-friendly instruments. Its just a sad realization imo since the Rush I identify with is that of the period of '76-'85. In retrospect its silly to write them off for not keeping things 100% authentic. I'd still see them in concert, but the excitement would be muted to some degree. Thanks again..

And much thanks for that great link- that was fantastic and really defines the Rush I know and love. smile.gif

Archived