OFFICIAL Alicia Keys Thread.

Necromancer

Okay... once in a small while, i put my Slayer cd's away and I do an about face and listen to some mellow stuff. Even pop stuff. ohmy.gif

"you kidding me Nec???"

Nope... it's true. It's DAMN true. biggrin.gif

So anyway... i'm really into Alicia Keys right now. Her version of Empire State of Mind, withOUT the crap rap shit by Jay Z, is awesome. 1022.gif

Anyway... check her out. Good stuff. applaudit.gif

http://www.myspace.com/aliciakeys

Great voice, really talented, not really into that kind of music. Going to have to disagree and say that the original "Empire State of Mind" is great. Jay and Alicia doing it at Yankee Stadium before game 2 of the World Series was great. Edited by PuppetKing2112

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Dec 17 2009, 09:20 PM)
Great voice, really talented, not really into that kind of music. Going to have to disagree and say that the original "Empire State of Mind" is great. Jay and Alicia doing it at Yankee Stadium before game 2 of the World Series was great.

It's good, don't get me wrong... but I don't like the "thug" stuff that Jay Z tries to pass off.

In his version, he makes selling "rock" out to be glorified, while her version villifies it. That alone is quite cool in my book.

I do miss the three note piano thing she does on Jay Z's version, and yeah... that video kicks ass regardless of Jay Z's involvement. yes.gif

QUOTE (Spindrift82 @ Dec 18 2009, 02:44 AM)
I never really got into Alicia, but I agree she's talented. I like that song she did with Christina Aguilera (who I AM a fan of, gotta problem with that? tongue.gif )

Impossible. (name of the song).

I am a huge Christina Aguilera fan, Stripped and beyond. The first album was a manufactured pop-ala-Britney album. Loved Back to Basics. Over a year ago, it was rumored she was recording again, looking into doing more electronica music with bands such as Ladytron (who I fancied a while ago). Haven't heard anything about that since, but what the hell -- she's a mom. Plus, Lady Gaga has taken over and it would be kinda hard to drop an album with Gaga taking over the world (I'm also a fan of hers, antics and all LOL)

As for Miss Keyes, she's a fantastic talent. I had her first album and listened to it quit often before the burglary of my car and my CD collections were stolen.

Edited by iluvgeddy05

Why are you in attack mode for starting this thread ? Don't you think the average Rush fan is into Alicia Keys ? confused13.gif wink.gif

I actually have one of her CD's that I bought for Laurette a few years back after we saw her perform on some show I can't remember ? We were very impressed by her piano playing and vocals. The problem was the album was half great, and half hop hop sounding garbage. I do have enormous respect for her talent. She can also act, and did a fine job in the movie...??? I don't remember the name of it ? It was something to do with bees and starred Queen Latifah.

I don't mind her but Jay-Z is a boob . That song is f-n horrible

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Dec 18 2009, 05:47 PM)
Awesome voice. Still think her first big hit "Fallin'" is her best song.

And yes she is GORGEOUS wub.gif

Have you heard the new album? Two songs stick out from the pack. "How it feels to fly" and "That's how strong my love is". I also love her solo version of "Empire state of mind" and the current single, "Try sleeping with a broken heart". Awesome stuff to just chill to. cool10.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Dec 18 2009, 02:56 PM)
I never really got into Alicia, but I agree she's talented. I like that song she did with Christina Aguilera (who I AM a fan of, gotta problem with that? tongue.gif )

I am a huge Christina Aguilera fan, Stripped and beyond. The first album was a manufactured pop-ala-Britney album. Loved Back to Basics. Over a year ago, it was rumored she was recording again, looking into doing more electronica music with bands such as Ladytron (who I fancied a while ago). Haven't heard anything about that since, but what the hell -- she's a mom. Plus, Lady Gaga has taken over and it would be kinda hard to drop an album with Gaga taking over the world (I'm also a fan of hers, antics and all LOL)

As for Miss Keyes, she's a fantastic talent. I had her first album and listened to it quit often before the burglary of my car and my CD collections were stolen.

I hate to derail this thread (but hey, it's Christina...)

Christina Aguilera's new album IS finished. It's been mixed, and it could potentially come out today. But Christina is filming a new movie that she's starring in (Burlesque), and until the filming wraps up, she doesn't want to release it because she wouldn't be able to promote it properly.

The filming should wrap up in January or Feb, so expect the new album to come out in April or May, with the first single in Feb or March. She's also going to go on a world tour; the deal's been signed, so that's something else to look forward to next year.

Being a mom has nothing to do with it (although I'm sure she's comfortable sitting back and relaxing now.) She's just got this filming to get done with (and the movie should also be good, too; she's recorded a few songs for the soundtrack.)

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Dec 18 2009, 03:56 PM)

I didn't care for that song too much. no.gif I love both singers, but they were not matched well on this track.

Christina is far too powerful and dominated the song too much, over the more subdued Alicia. yes.gif

Her new collaboration with Beyonce, "Put it in a love song", is a little better.

QUOTE (Spindrift82 @ Dec 19 2009, 07:44 AM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Dec 18 2009, 02:56 PM)

I hate to derail this thread (but hey, it's Christina...)

Christina Aguilera's new album IS finished. It's been mixed, and it could potentially come out today. But Christina is filming a new movie that she's starring in (Burlesque), and until the filming wraps up, she doesn't want to release it because she wouldn't be able to promote it properly.

The filming should wrap up in January or Feb, so expect the new album to come out in April or May, with the first single in Feb or March. She's also going to go on a world tour; the deal's been signed, so that's something else to look forward to next year.

Being a mom has nothing to do with it (although I'm sure she's comfortable sitting back and relaxing now.) She's just got this filming to get done with (and the movie should also be good, too; she's recorded a few songs for the soundtrack.)

yay new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I've always liked Alicia. Most top 40 of the past decade and a half is garbage but there are a few exceptions. Alicia is one of them. Her songs have a timeless quality compared to the teenybopper crap of Katy Perry et al. She's kind of a female Prince (speaking of Pop musicians that don't suck) at times with some of her songs. At least she's not singing songs about her hoohoo like the skanks of today. I've been listening to her last two albums this week just to catch up in time for Girl On Fire this week. Only had her first two albums previously.

Also, she kicked ass in Smokin' Aces. Not a bad actress either.

Edited by invisible airwave