It is Oktoberfest time-Which ones have you tried?

vprtrls

There are Oktoberfest parties here in Michigan every weekend this time of year. Lots of local Brewpubs make their own recipe each year. Make sure you get out and try some and support your local brewer. My favorite store-bought one this year so far is Samuel Adams Oktoberfest. I am waiting for some cash to arrive to make the beer run and pick up some German ones in bottles: Spaten, Beck's, Hacker Pschorr and Hofbrau (already had a mini-keg...yummy). Fall is here in Michigan and its time for some Amber Malt goodness. 2.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 29 2009, 03:35 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 29 2009, 03:32 PM)
Sam Adams' version is pretty good, but it used to be better. It lost something over the past five years or so. Hacker Pschorr is always good, and the one I usually reach for.

hey what's the sam adams octoberfest taste like?

is it dark?

reddish dark I'd say.

I have to agree with 1001: it's lost its pizazz in a way, but I still like it.

hell the big news is that sam adams is doing a joint brew with a german brewery. can't recall the name ( spamhen???) but its the oldest brewery in all of germany.

the beer will have a cork and register around 10% alcohol.

In general i don't care for german beer and in particular Octoberfest beers. this is due to extreme overindulgence on my part at past Octoberfests.

Great Lakes Oktoberfest is the best I tried, agree Sam Adams version not as good as it use to be for some reason.

Sam Adams Octoberfest can be found everywhere now. It's in every beverage store, supermarket, convenience store, etc. It's no longer a craft brew -- it's mass-produced. I have to think that will cost the beer some of its integrity.

Same deal with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. It's still a great go-to beer (I've got some in the fridge right now), but it's available everywhere now, and I don't think it tastes as good as it did five or so years ago when it was made on a lesser scale.

Like SA's Fest beer, when SNPA went from being a micro brew to a national brew, it lost a little in the translation, IMO.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 22 2009, 01:34 PM)
Like SA's Fest beer, when SNPA went from being a micro brew to a national brew, it lost a little in the translation, IMO.

I agree, they went downhill years ago. You could add Red Hook to that list too.

Lets pray that does not happen with Dogfish Head.

Still that SA & German collaboration could be worth a shot.........