Manic Street Preachers Fan Thread

The Gutless Wonder

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Gutless Wonder @ Sep 5 2009, 01:45 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 5 2009, 03:36 PM)
What kind of music do they play?

Ooooooooh! Here's a quick run down as their stuff is a bit mixed!

Generation Terrorists - Glam/Punk (1991)

Gold Against The Soul - slightly Americana/Punk/Rock (1992)

The Holy Bible - goth/Punk/Rock/metal-esque ('93/'94)

Everything Must Go - Britpop era (though fans don't class it as that)/Anthemic Rock (1996)

This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours - Indie/Alternative/Rock (1998)

Know Your Enemy - slighty grungey/ Punk/Rock/with a smidgeon of disco thrown in! (2001)

Lifeblood - Experimental/Ethereal/Pop/Rock (2004)

Send Away The Tigers - Anthemic/Pop/Rock (2007)

Journal For Plague Lovers - occasional nods to The Holy Bible era / Punk/Rock/Indie (2009)

(Think that's a reasonable summary!)

Listened to "Send Away The Tigers" today.

I think you nailed it on your brief sound summary.

Not a bad record.

"The Holy Bible" is the other album I own. Excellent.

QUOTE (The Gutless Wonder @ Sep 23 2009, 07:07 AM)
I haven't Steevo, sorry! The gig at Seattle last night/ yesterday (depending on your time zone!) sounds like it went really well! Vancouver tonight! Lucky Canadians! biggrin.gif
Alex, Neil, Ged - If you're not doing anything y'know................ wink.gif

Thats cool, I just get lazy sometimes biggrin.gif If you havent seen, you must!!...what a GINORMOUS audience though!! ohmy.gif

Geeez, I just had a vision of Al and JDB together performing Working Man drool1.gif

Edited by Steevo

QUOTE (The Gutless Wonder @ Sep 23 2009, 08:57 AM)
A Manics/Rush jam would be excellent! (Can Alex not travel over to Vancouver, there's a few hours to go yet, I'm sure he could manage it! biggrin.gif)

b_sigh.gif The stuff of dreams. I never imagined it with The Foos though, so stranger things have happened cool.gif

QUOTE (The Gutless Wonder @ Sep 22 2009, 01:51 PM)
Cool! Glad you like them! Check out the others as well if you get the chance. Seattle gig had a good mix of songs so will be interesting to see what the setlist is for the Vancouver one. Some photos already up on some peoples photostreams.

Hey Gutless!

I like your passion for this band.

I can tell by the way you write that you love this interesting group.

That is cool.

I might have to explore more of this band thanks to you.

Cheers!

Earl

Aaaaaaaw! That's very nice of you to say Earl! biggrin.gif I think that the Manics have a sort of affinity with Rush in a roundabout way. They have this warmth about them that you can't help being drawn to I suppose. Sounds like the Vancouver gig went down a storm, just been looking at a vid of the performance of No Surface All Feeling from the Everything Must Go album and James just sounds amazing. Will put the link up actually cos it's that good! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (ManicHeadRush @ Sep 28 2009, 05:35 PM)
We have Manics topic thread? Awesome!

And in case you didn't already know, there's a documentary film which will be released shortly, produced and directed by one of our very own members of this message board!

smile.gif

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Sep 29 2009, 12:39 AM)

And in case you didn't already know, there's a documentary film which will be released shortly, produced and directed by one of our very own members of this message board!

smile.gif

I knew there was a film being made... called No Manifesto yeah? Didn't know it was someone off here! That's wicked! biggrin.gif I've seen the trailers, it looks amazing, I can't wait to see it. biggrin.gif congrats to whoever made it. Good work!

They were f***ing brilliant at the Avalon on Friday (First U.S show in 10 years!!!!) and it was just as great as I imagined it would be...probably even better. The sound was awesome, the set list was fantastic, and the crowd was good. A pretty perfect night in general. Great sing-a-longs for "Everything Must Go" and "Design for Life"(Which was awesome). An amazing acoustic version of "This is Yesterday." I can't stress this enough...it's their first U.S tour in 10 years so if you get the chance...GO SEE THEM.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Sep 29 2009, 11:39 AM)

smile.gif

No didnt know. Who's that? ohmy.gif

The Manics are now back in the UK once more! A poster on the Manics unofficial fan forum Forever Delayed says he spoke to James today in Cardiff as he works in one of the main music stores there. He says JDB was very cheery and happy to chat. Sounds like the cold that was plagueing him on the last few days of the tour has eased up as the poster on FD says he didn't hear him coughing or anything so all good! I hope I get to meet James one day, he is my absolute hero! biggrin.gif