Alternate Tebow Covers From Sports Illustrated

tupelobarchetta

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 31 2009, 11:36 AM)
QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Aug 31 2009, 11:16 AM)
An argument can be made that he's already the greatest College Football player of all time.

You could.

And I would reject it.

Let's see..........Two National Championships and a Heisman. Now add another Heisman or NC (or both) and it's case closed. Without adding either, who's clearly better?

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Aug 31 2009, 01:22 PM)
An argument can be made that he's already the greatest College Football player of all time.

You could.

And I would reject it.

Let's see..........Two National Championships and a Heisman. Now add another Heisman or NC (or both) and it's case closed. Without adding either, who's clearly better?

2 NCs.....I thought we were talking individual players, not team honors. confused13.gif

The best I have ever seen is Herschel Walker. ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 31 2009, 01:09 PM)

You could.

And I would reject it.

2 NCs.....I thought we were talking individual players, not team honors. confused13.gif

I guess Tebow's Heisman doesn't count huh.

So, you don't think a case could be made that Tebow's the best college player of all time?

I guarantee this topic will be brought several times over the course of this season.

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Aug 31 2009, 03:17 PM)
I guarantee this topic will be brought several times over the course of this season.

Herschel won the Heisman too by the way.

But the Heisman Trophy nowadays is pure BS and NOT representative of anything but a good player who is also very popular. There are plenty of better players that deserved that award, that didn't get it. And others who got it, and didn't deserve it (Charlie Ward and Gino Toretta come to mind). Nowadays, if you want to see who the best players are in college football are, look at the winners of all of the positional awards (too many to list here, but there seems to be 12-15 of them).

Tebow will not be a HOF NFL QB. Not even close. I'm not even convinced he's the best player in college football RIGHT NOW (I know.....blasphemy!!!!)

But he runs Urban Meyer's system perfectly though.

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Aug 31 2009, 03:17 PM)
So, you don't think a case could be made that Tebow's the best college player of all time?

Let me rephrase.

You could make that argument.

And I would argue right back against it, because I don't believe it's true.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 31 2009, 12:09 PM)

You could.

And I would reject it.

HW wasn't even the best at his position.

[insert] Barry Sanders

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg61/ashpkt/sanders.jpg

Yeah, a strong argument can be made for him too (as a Lions fan, I would have no problem him being #1).

I just think that Herschel was about as fast and more powerful a back, versus the elusiveness and speed of Barry. But it's close.

QUOTE (ashpkt @ Aug 31 2009, 03:23 PM)

You could.

And I would reject it.

[insert] Barry Sanders

The 25 greatest college football players of all time, according to ESPN (as of January 2008):

1. Red Grange

2. Barry Sanders

3. Herschel Walker

4. Doak Walker

5. Sammy Baugh

6. Jim Thorpe

7. Tony Dorsett

8. Bo Jackson

9. Roger Staubach

10. Vince Young

11. Charles Woodson

12. Earl Campbell

13. Glenn Davis

14. Hugh Green

15. John Elway

16. Tom Harmon

17. Bronko Nagurski

18. Jim Brown

19. Dick Butkus

20. Charlie Trippi

21. Archie Griffin

22. George Gipp

23. Johnny Rodgers

24. Reggie Bush

25. Ernie Nevers

If Tebow wins another Heisman or a national championship, I think he's a lock for the top 10. If he wins both, he's in the top 5.

Red Grange is deserving of the No. 1 spot. His impact on football is similar to Babe Ruth in baseball and Michael Jordan in pro basketball.

I would give Herschel Walker the nod over Sanders for the No. 2 spot. I admit I'm biased, having personally covered Walker when ran for almost 300 yards at Ole Miss (his sophomore season, and I was a freshman sportswriter for the Ole Miss paper) and then a few years later at an USFL game in Memphis.

When I interviewed him after the Ole Miss game, he only wanted to talk about how well others played. He even praised the Rebel defense on how they "got after" him and the other Bulldog backs. He wasn't being sarcastic or a smart-aleck about it. He was simply being sincere, soft-spoken Herschel Walker, always complimenting others and never taking credit for anything he accomplished.

And for what it's worth, I think Herschel should've won the Heisman his freshman season.

Edited by tupelobarchetta

QUOTE (ashpkt @ Aug 31 2009, 04:23 PM)

You could.

And I would reject it.

[insert] Barry Sanders

Sanders was f-ing insane. On Sega Genesis '90 the Lions all blew, but you could do a running play sweep w/ Sanders and run around the D - just like real life. Shame that guy couldnt get a ring...

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 31 2009, 10:28 PM)

You could.

And I would reject it.

[insert] Barry Sanders

Sanders was f-ing insane. On Sega Genesis '90 the Lions all blew, but you could do a running play sweep w/ Sanders and run around the D - just like real life. Shame that guy couldnt get a ring...

it's too late but a certain number 4 could learn a thing or two from Barry about staying retired...

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Aug 31 2009, 10:32 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 31 2009, 10:28 PM)

You could.

And I would reject it.

[insert] Barry Sanders

it's too late but a certain number 4 could learn a thing or two from Barry about staying retired...

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Aug 31 2009, 08:25 PM)
I live down here and I really don't get the Tebow deal. He is perfect for the system he is in and is a great leader. Some of the rest of it is over the top imo.

Rushing for more than 20 TD's and passing for more than 20 TD's in the same season doesn't impress you? And in the very tough SEC?

He threw 30 TDs and had only 4 picks last year.

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Sep 1 2009, 09:58 AM)
I live down here and I really don't get the Tebow deal.  He is perfect for the system he is in and is a great leader.  Some of the rest of it is over the top imo.

Rushing for more than 20 TD's and passing for more than 20 TD's in the same season doesn't impress you? And in the very tough SEC?

Dude has a lot of help!

You must not realize this VERY important factor: Florida gets THE ABSOLUTE BEST players in the State of Florida EVERY YEAR. That has been the case since both Florida State and Miami have fallen off. But more than that, they are able to snag 5-star quality gems from nearby states as well (we Gamecock fans are still ticked off we lost out on the Carlos Dunlap war.....he was a sure bet to be a Gamecock until very late in the process). Point being is that on both offense and defense, Florida is LOADED. Mickey Mouse could coach this team to 9 wins just based on TALENT ALONE (and also based on a notoriously weak non-conference schedule, but that's another topic).

What I find to be MUCH more impressive is a guy who has a great work ethic that can stand out, and without whom his team would lost. Herschel Walker was a great example of that, Barry Sanders is another. Tebow? If he were to go down tomorrow and not play at all this year, Florida would still win 10 games. At least. That's simply because the offense of Urban Meyer is not that terribly dependent on how Tebow rises and falls. It just seems that Tebow is indispensible because of a pandering sports media that writes story after story after story about Tim Tebow, Urban Meyer, the Florida Gators and how they're a dynasty, they can't be stopped, yada, yada, yada. I'm sick of it, personally, but I'm eagerly awaiting the fallout when Florida loses 2 games this year.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Sep 1 2009, 09:21 AM)
QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Sep 1 2009, 09:58 AM)
I live down here and I really don't get the Tebow deal.  He is perfect for the system he is in and is a great leader.  Some of the rest of it is over the top imo.

Dude has a lot of help!

You must not realize this VERY important factor: Florida gets THE ABSOLUTE BEST players in the State of Florida EVERY YEAR. That has been the case since both Florida State and Miami have fallen off. But more than that, they are able to snag 5-star quality gems from nearby states as well (we Gamecock fans are still ticked off we lost out on the Carlos Dunlap war.....he was a sure bet to be a Gamecock until very late in the process). Point being is that on both offense and defense, Florida is LOADED. Mickey Mouse could coach this team to 9 wins just based on TALENT ALONE (and also based on a notoriously weak non-conference schedule, but that's another topic).

What I find to be MUCH more impressive is a guy who has a great work ethic that can stand out, and without whom his team would lost. Herschel Walker was a great example of that, Barry Sanders is another. Tebow? If he were to go down tomorrow and not play at all this year, Florida would still win 10 games. At least. That's simply because the offense of Urban Meyer is not that terribly dependent on how Tebow rises and falls. It just seems that Tebow is indispensible because of a pandering sports media that writes story after story after story about Tim Tebow, Urban Meyer, the Florida Gators and how they're a dynasty, they can't be stopped, yada, yada, yada. I'm sick of it, personally, but I'm eagerly awaiting the fallout when Florida loses 2 games this year.

If he went down I don't think they would win 10 games. You're selling him short because he's got a good team around him? Please. Have you ever seen his high school stats? He's ALWAYS been a bad ass.

Now I ask you, what has Barry Sander ever won?

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Sep 1 2009, 10:13 AM)
QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Sep 1 2009, 11:04 AM)
Is Florida the only team in the SEC that is loaded?

Yes, they are. To that extent.

Nevertheless, Florida will NOT win the National Championship this year. I guarantee it.

The odds are in your favorite needless to say. I wouldn't make that bet because of the conference.