The writing of Far Cry

MCM

By far the best song on the CD, in my opinion. I wish the rest of the album was as rocking as this "pre-release" single.

To hear the guys tell it, they kinda slapped it together quickly. "That was a good day," they say. It really only took about 1 day!

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 5 2009, 04:51 PM)
By far the best song on the CD, in my opinion. I wish the rest of the album was as rocking as this "pre-release" single.

To hear the guys tell it, they kinda slapped it together quickly. "That was a good day," they say. It really only took about 1 day!

Far Cry is a great song, but Armor & Sword is by far the best track on S&A for me.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 5 2009, 10:51 AM)

Yeah they have a bunch of songs that came together very quickly like this. I remember them talking about how quickly the put Force Ten together, the final version of Natural Science, and plenty others.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 5 2009, 05:14 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 5 2009, 10:51 AM)
By far the best song on the CD, in my opinion.  I wish the rest of the album was as rocking as this "pre-release" single.

To hear the guys tell it, they kinda slapped it together quickly.  "That was a good day," they say.  It really only took about 1 day!

Yeah they have a bunch of songs that came together very quickly like this. I remember them talking about how quickly the put Force Ten together, the final version of Natural Science, and plenty others.

La Villa Strangiato was apparently done in one take! ohmy.gif

As for the writing, I don't know, but a piece like that done in one take is incredible.

Wasn't Tom Sawyer an afterthought as well? And it was the last song written on that album, yes?

And on Signals, Digital Man (an average song IMO) took them weeks to perfect.

Now Far Cry is the same way, by far the best song on that album. Also La Villa, Natural Science, Force Ten, Subdivisions, etc

It seems the less thought Rush puts into it the better it is....

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jul 6 2009, 08:10 PM)
Wasn't Tom Sawyer an afterthought as well? And it was the last song written on that album, yes?

I always heard that Tom Sawyer was the 2nd song written for MP (Camera Eye was the first).

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jul 6 2009, 07:10 PM)

And on Signals, Digital Man (an average song IMO) took them weeks to perfect.

Now Far Cry is the same way, by far the best song on that album. Also La Villa, Natural Science, Force Ten, Subdivisions, etc

I dont know about Tom Sawyer being an afterthought like Force Ten was, but I do remember them saying it only took a couple days to write. The music anyway, I would imagine the lyrics took a little longer. I know sometimes Neil works on the lyrics for a song for months.

Vital Signs was the last song written for Moving Pictures.

The band have the majority of the songs written before going into the studio. Unless it is to do with needing one more album track or musical inspiration that comes up where a song is spontaneously written while working in the studio, is when it becomes the last song on the album.

'Vital Signs' and 'New World Man' are two examples of that.

QUOTE (RushFanForever @ Jul 7 2009, 09:42 AM)

The band have the majority of the songs written before going into the studio. Unless it is to do with needing one more album track or musical inspiration that comes up where a song is spontaneously written while working in the studio, is when it becomes the last song on the album.

For the most part yeah, but this wasnt the case early on. Hemispheres for example was written in the studio. I remember them saying they didnt have a single piece of music prepared for that album. As was Vapor Trails I believe.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 7 2009, 09:10 PM)
QUOTE (RushFanForever @ Jul 7 2009, 09:42 AM)

For the most part yeah, but this wasnt the case early on. Hemispheres for example was written in the studio. I remember them saying they didnt have a single piece of music prepared for that album. As was Vapor Trails I believe.

Snakes and Arrows too, right?

I can't recall the story of Hemispheres off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure VT and S&A were written the same way they've written everything in the past 20-30 years: the "boys camp" method. They go away together and write - Geddy and Alex on the music, Neil on the lyrics, and get together in the evenings to compare notes. By the time they enter a studio, the songs are pretty well fleshed-out. Case in point: on Rupert Hine's first day on Presto, when he heard the songs for the first time, he was surprised at how far along they were; I believe he laughed and said "There's nothing for me to do!" Basically, they were already finished!

For S&A, Neil mailed some preliminary lyrics to the other guys and they put them to music. When they all gathered for a dinner/meeting at Neil's house, Neil heard a few of the songs for the first time. That was well before they entered the studio.

Archived