Mastodon!!!!

RUSHMUSE

I love Mastodon. Glad to see their is a decent following on the Rush forum. Kinda not sure what to think about the new stuff. It's different than their old stuff that's for sure. Even a bit different from Crack the Skye.

As far as the tour is concerned, definitely bummed that there's no Arizona date. And it's going to be tough during the middle of the week to drive out of state. Gonna have to figure something out.

Somehow I stumbled onto a new Opeth track while listening to some new Mastodon.

I had to turn off the new Opeth track because I instantly thought it was EPIC.

As for some of the new Mastodon stuff?

Meh.

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

Gonna pick this up along with Opeth's "Heritage" tomorrow before work. From what I've heard it just sounds ok to me. I'm fine with the fact they didn't want to do another concept album, but it just doesn't feel like it flows too well. I don't know, I'll wait till I have a copy and can listen all the way through before I make my final call on this one.

I love it (big surprise). It's not nearly as cohesive as their past releases, but I knew from their interviews that it wouldn't be. Love the individual songs though.

A few highlights for me:

Blasteroid sounds like a whacked out Torche song in space. Awesome! It's short and pretty damn catchy, but it might be my favorite on the album.

Bedazzled Fingernails is nuts. Song feels huge and powerful.....same thing with All the Heavy Lifting.

The Sparrow. Holy Pink Floyd, Mastodon!

Creature Lives. WTF IS THIS?!! I love it though and would've never expected it from Mastodon.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Sep 27 2011, 05:59 AM)
I love it (big surprise). It's not nearly as cohesive as their past releases, but I knew from their interviews that it wouldn't be. Love the individual songs though.

A few highlights for me:

Blasteroid sounds like a whacked out Torche song in space. Awesome! It's short and pretty damn catchy, but it might be my favorite on the album.

Bedazzled Fingernails is nuts. Song feels huge and powerful.....same thing with All the Heavy Lifting.

The Sparrow. Holy Pink Floyd, Mastodon!

Creature Lives. WTF IS THIS?!! I love it though and would've never expected it from Mastodon.

I'm all set to listen to the album!

cool.gif

I got a strong Baroness feel from this album with the guitar playing. I still have not come to grips with it (the sound and feel of the album). It is definitely a "weird" album. Dry Bone Valley is probably my favorite song off the album.

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Sep 27 2011, 10:33 PM)
Got it today and upon first listen it's not bad. I hope after a few more spins it'll grow on me a little more. There's no way they can reproduce those vocals live. As good as they are on their instruments, their live vocals are pretty horrendous. 062802puke_prv.gif

77!

Once again I am right there with you. After one spin I actually liked it but I'm not sold on it.

I heard that Pink Floyd shit. Wow, a rip of but very cool intro.

This has to be one of the greatest years for prog rock even though I bitch about it.

Dream Theater, Opeth, Mastodon. Wow! One new release per week!

Does the new Porcupine Tree cd come out next week?

I'm still waiting on my Steven Wilson box.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 28 2011, 12:45 AM)
QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Sep 27 2011, 10:33 PM)
Got it today and upon first listen it's not bad. I hope after a few more spins it'll grow on me a little more. There's no way they can reproduce those vocals live. As good as they are on their instruments, their live vocals are pretty horrendous.  062802puke_prv.gif

77!

Once again I am right there with you. After one spin I actually liked it but I'm not sold on it.

I heard that Pink Floyd shit. Wow, a rip of but very cool intro.

This has to be one of the greatest years for prog rock even though I bitch about it.

Dream Theater, Opeth, Mastodon. Wow! One new release per week!

Does the new Porcupine Tree cd come out next week?

I'm still waiting on my Steven Wilson box.

Heritage shits all over The Hunter. Haven't listened to Opeth since Ghost Reveries, but this new one definitely renewed my interest in them. trink39.gif

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Sep 28 2011, 01:55 AM)
The Hunter conquers Heritage. Mastodon sounds hungry and vibrant. Opeth sounds dull and uninspired.

I like both...and the Dream Theater too...

I suppose I'm boring...

It's good to be boring in this case...

cool10.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 28 2011, 09:14 AM)
The Hunter conquers Heritage. Mastodon sounds hungry and vibrant. Opeth sounds dull and uninspired.

I suppose I'm boring...

cool10.gif 1022.gif

They are so different records... it's impossible for me to compare them.

And I still find it difficult to call Mastodon "prog"... not with those voices...

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Sep 28 2011, 02:33 AM)

I suppose I'm boring...

cool10.gif 1022.gif

And I still find it difficult to call Mastodon "prog"... not with those voices...

All four of them sing now, can you tell who's who? ph34r.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 28 2011, 10:12 AM)

I suppose I'm boring...

cool10.gif 1022.gif

Easy: "Squeaky", "Moany", "Can't-Make-It" and "Doomed". laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Now you make it sound like I'm bashing Mastodon! laugh.gif ph34r.gif

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Sep 28 2011, 03:43 AM)
Listen to that intro on Stargasm loudly. Those drums. cool.gif Man, this album sounds good.

I got the deluxe edition version too, Ducky. The cover is way better.

Mastodon is the first band in years where the drumming has got my attention from the beginning.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 28 2011, 01:12 AM)

I suppose I'm boring...

cool10.gif 1022.gif

"Who Made Who?"

AC/DC

Duck, I have the black cover too. It's cool and it is better than the red cover but still at the end of the day "Heritage" will surely defeat "The Hunter."

"The Hunter" reminds me of an awesome Dokken song.

"Heritage" reminds me of Opeth.

I would rather have a "SUNGASM" because it hits a lot closer to home. th1245.gif

A star is essentially a sun so it doesn't matter I guess. Both are bright and full of gas after you come into the light.

Time for some "Orgasmatron."

Signed,

Lemmy wink.gif

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Sep 28 2011, 02:29 AM)
QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Sep 28 2011, 03:43 AM)
Listen to that intro on Stargasm loudly. Those drums.  cool.gif Man, this album sounds good.

I got the deluxe edition version too, Ducky. The cover is way better.

Mastodon is the first band in years where the drumming has got my attention from the beginning.

Geeus my friend.

The first band to do that for me when it comes to the drumming was Rush.

YYZ 1022.gif

PS: I remember reading an article years ago about how Mastodon was the new Rush.

Weird.