Fantasy baseball 2005?

Indica

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Mar 14 2005, 06:22 PM)
I'm trying to get the who's who sorted but I'm missing some.
  • Barchetta Reds - Me
  • Midnight Blues - NPG
  • 1979 Pirates - flybynight_rir
  • Barney's Rebels - Having trouble working out who's team is this. LOL
  • Foxy Cleopatra - willowzhigh
  • Cinderella Men - Anagramking
  • Beantown Bastards -
  • Calgary Sliders - D-13
  • The Gotham Knights - Batman
  • Limelight Limeys -

Good one Barn. Thx

biggrin.gif

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Mar 14 2005, 01:22 PM)
I'm trying to get the who's who sorted but I'm missing some.
  • Barchetta Reds - Me
  • Midnight Blues - NPG
  • 1979 Pirates - flybynight_rir
  • Barney's Rebels - Having trouble working out who's team is this. LOL
  • Foxy Cleopatra - willowzhigh
  • Cinderella Men - Anagramking
  • Beantown Bastards -
  • Calgary Sliders - D-13
  • The Gotham Knights - Batman
  • Limelight Limeys -

Barchetta Reds - CHAS

Midnight Blues - NPG

1979 Pirates - INDICA

Barney's Rebels - UMMM I'M NOT SURE ABOUT THIS ONE. LOL

Foxy Cleopatra - DonnaWanna

Cinderella Men - Anagramking

Beantown Bastards - My friend who plays fantasy football with me every year. (pats/red sox fan)062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif lol

Calgary Sliders - D-13

Limelight Limeys - rickyrob

The Gotham Knights - Batman

QUOTE (neilpeart_gal @ Mar 14 2005, 03:37 PM)
Me and Donna are the only chicks. smile.gif

and D-13 smile.gif

QUOTE (Indica @ Mar 14 2005, 03:39 PM)
QUOTE (neilpeart_gal @ Mar 14 2005, 03:37 PM)
Me and Donna are the only chicks.  smile.gif

and D-13 smile.gif

And im one of those chiks that knows nothin bout this sport. actually i think its pretty borin if u ask me lol.Wheneva we go to the games im more into people watchin then watchin the game, Ill take hockey over baseball any day yes.gif

but this should be fun ..i guess...well we'll see wont we laugh.gif

QUOTE (Chasartymac @ Mar 14 2005, 04:12 PM)
Oh god, now you've done it. You and NPG are gonna be yacking hockey all over the baseball thread now laugh.gif

laugh.gif and whats wrong with hockey talk hmmm confused13.gif

i feel so jipped with this season between havin a "too much snow" winter and with NO hockey?? WTF mannn its just not right ..nope not 1 bit mad.gif

QUOTE (Chasartymac @ Mar 14 2005, 01:04 PM)

I had Prior last year. He is consistant and helped my numbers a lot.

Just heard this today about Prior. Not the next Ryan. Ryan had unparalleled durability and never got hurt until a bone in his arm snapped on the mound in his late 40s, ending his career. Prior was destined for greatness, though, until this spate of injuries last year, and now. Lots of rumors in Chicago that he juiced. Also, you can blame Dusty for overusing him. Zambrano is the horse on this year's Cub staff. Wood is also injured, by the way. Hate to break the bad news:

Player Notes

Mar 14 Cubs pitcher Mark Prior will be sidelined indefinitely because of inflammation in his right elbow. "Obviously, we're talking about an elbow and a matter of inches," Prior told MLB.com. "It's a completely different area and not even the same thing as last year." Prior had an MRI on his elbow after feeling discomfort following his first Cactus League start last Thursday. Cubs general manager Jim Hendry said Monday the MRI showed there is no damage to the ligament and no damage to the ulnar nerve in Prior's elbow.

Views: Somewhere between his years at USC and pitching for the Cubs Prior picked up a medical degree. He seems very confident that this is nothing, but the Cubs history (including his Achilles and elbow inflammation last year) would seem to indicate a complacent approach to injuries. We will obviously keep a close eye on the situation as it develops.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Mar 14 2005, 06:57 PM)

Just heard this today about Prior. Not the next Ryan.

I never said he was going to be the next nolan ryan, I heard others saying that. Nolan ryan in my opinion was the best pitcher ever. Yes he pitched 7 no hitters, and pitched well into his 40's. You can't pitch a couple years and have people comparing you to nolan. But I heard a few people doing it.

For me to say that a pitcher would have to pitch over 10 years first, and kick ass every year. Time will tell how good he is. I'm just repeating what I heard. My point is that a lot of people think he's good. I will try not to repeat things from now on.

QUOTE (Indica @ Mar 14 2005, 07:29 PM)

I never said he was going to be the next nolan ryan, I heard others saying that. Nolan ryan in my opinion was the best pitcher ever. Yes he pitched 7 no hitters, and pitched well into his 40's. You can't pitch a couple years and have people comparing you to nolan. But I heard a few people doing it.

For me to say that a pitcher would have to pitch over 10 years first, and kick ass every year. Time will tell how good he is. I'm just repeating what I heard. My point is that a lot of people think he's good. I will try not to repeat things from now on.

Nolan Ryan, best pitcher ever? Don't get me wrong. He was a great pitcher. There are a number of pitchers I'd rank ahead of him all time, though. Walter Johnson, Lefty Grove, Cy Young, Christy Matthewson, Bob Feller, Satchel Paige, Warren Spahn, Sandy Koufax, Bob Gibson, Roger Clemens, Randy Johnson, Greg Maddux, Steve Carlton. Most durable ever, no question. He had a 250 pitch game once and lived to tell about it, and lasted as long as any knuckleball pitcher except for Phil Neikro. 7 no-hitters don't tell the whole story. I don't think he ever won a Cy Young. Granted, he pitched for a lot of crappy teams. When a power pitcher has it all working, he is going to be unhittable. When it's not working, he becomes hittable. That happened to Ryan sometimes. Ryan also walked a lot of batters. By the way, I was wandering through a store the other day, and it had ESPN Classic on. It was showing Ryan's record breaking fifth no-hitter.

Don't know who said that about Prior, though. A shame that he got hurt. But the Nolan Ryan comparison this early on in a career is just nuts. I'm a bit leery of hearing comparisons to all time greats. It happens too much today.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Mar 14 2005, 07:55 PM)
QUOTE (Indica @ Mar 14 2005, 07:29 PM)

Nolan Ryan, best pitcher ever? Don't get me wrong. He was a great pitcher. There are a number of pitchers I'd rank ahead of him all time, though. Walter Johnson, Lefty Grove, Cy Young, Christy Matthewson, Bob Feller, Satchel Paige, Warren Spahn, Sandy Koufax, Bob Gibson, Roger Clemens, Randy Johnson, Greg Maddux, Steve Carlton. Most durable ever, no question. He had a 250 pitch game once and lived to tell about it, and lasted as long as any knuckleball pitcher except for Phil Neikro. 7 no-hitters don't tell the whole story. I don't think he ever won a Cy Young. Granted, he pitched for a lot of crappy teams. When a power pitcher has it all working, he is going to be unhittable. When it's not working, he becomes hittable. That happened to Ryan sometimes. Ryan also walked a lot of batters. By the way, I was wandering through a store the other day, and it had ESPN Classic on. It was showing Ryan's record breaking fifth no-hitter.

Don't know who said that about Prior, though. A shame that he got hurt. But the Nolan Ryan comparison this early on in a career is just nuts. I'm a bit leery of hearing comparisons to all time greats. It happens too much today.

That's my opinion also, it's stupid to argue about it. I'm sure many other people including experts would argue that Nolan Ryan was the best pitcher ever. 7 no hitters is just 1 record he broke, he also has many other records that probably will never be touched. Yeah, I still say he very well could be the best pitcher ever but I'm not going to sit and argue about it, when I said IN MY OPINION, it meant just that, why argue something that can never be proven? It's also hard to compare someone who pitched in the late 1800s to someone who pitched late 1900s, the talent was so different than back then. (Cy Young,Walter Johnson,etc) If those pitchers pitched against recent batters it's hard tellin, they could be average pitchers, theres no way to prove something like that. But Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. http://img235.exs.cx/img235/9158/nolanryan6zb.jpg

You are right, the no hitter record doesn't tell it all. His lifetime 2.17 ERA is seventh lowest in baseball history, considering he pitched into his 40's, that's pretty decent. over 300 wins #1 strikeouts, most no hitters, what else you want from a human? Add that too all his other all time records and it makes him the best of all time.

I'm guessing the people comparing him to Nolan are Cubby fans who are grasping at something, give em a break, they havent won a WS in YEARS!!! Let them have their hope. You know how those Chicagoins are. laugh.gif

Lifetime stats are here:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pl....php?p=ryanno01

Walter Johnson had the 7th best career ERA at 2.17, not Nolan Ryan.

I'm not trying to debate baseball like politics. I've been a fan all my life, and I learned a lot of useless information along the way. I could talk about the game all day long. I grew up in Phoenix a Dodger fan. I listened to Vin Scully (my vote for best ever) call games on the radio during the brutally hot summers. I follow both teams here, but I really detest both owners, and find it hard to root for either team as a result.

Did you see Nolan Ryan vs. Kevin Mitchell in the 1988 (or '89, I forget) All Star game? Ryan was from the old school, meaning the inside part of the plate was his and only his. Crowd it and you're going down. Anyway, the count is 3-2. Ryan throws it inside, but it's a 90 mph curve that only a guy like him could throw. Mitchell completely freezes on the pitch, and as he is starting to bail out, it just drops in so nicely for strike three called. That was as nasty a pitch as I've ever seen, especially in such a situation.

Another Nolan Ryan piece of trivia. The most career at bats against Nolan Ryan without a strikeout is 13, by Fernando Valenzuela, of all people. Whoda thunk?

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Mar 14 2005, 11:15 PM)
I remember the game Ryan no-hit the Jays...

And the game he punched out Robin Ventura!

Yeah, the Ventura episode. Who can forget that? Sox fans are still mad about that around here. laugh.gif I thought that Ventura just got hogtied and received a bunch of noogies, though.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Mar 14 2005, 11:20 PM)

Yeah, the Ventura episode. Who can forget that? Sox fans are still mad about that around here. laugh.gif I thought that Ventura just got hogtied and received a bunch of noogies, though.

That year I missed watching/listening to the radio may be one Jays game. I read and followed the stats of every player.

And of course the Jays went all the way that year after they smoked the Chisox wink.gif

OK, I doubt anything I say is going to sink in too well here. stats are stats, to compare someone who played 100 years ago to someone who played in the last 20 years is just pointless in my opinion. You can know all the "useless facts" you want but it doesn't take a genius to know that the level of play in the late 1900's compared to the 1800's isn't even comparable. For one, theres a lot more people to choose from than there was 100 years ago, (theres a LOT more people on earth for one) and the training now is on a level SO MUCH HIGHER than it was 100 years ago, was I around 100 years ago? NO, but I can say this with a great deal of confidence because I too know baseball, and I know the level of play now compared to 100 years ago is so much higher. People played then because they loved the game, that's fine, now, it's a billion dollar industry, people are training their asses off just to get a chance to play ball and make millions, the equipment now is soooooo much better, people have their own personal "trainers".....what I'm saying is, just because someone had great stats 100 years ago DOES NOT BY ANY MEANS mean that under their same level of play that they could TOUCH the batters now, it's a whole different ballgame. So to compare stats of someone 100 years ago to someone now is pointless, there IS no comparison. I know this for a FACT. Don't take my word, ask ANY baseball expert if I'm bullshittin, they will tell you the SAME things I am right now. So arguing something like this is simply stupid, I can't think of any other word to use there. I know this. MAN. yes.gif

And yes, I too have been around baseball all my life, I played the game, I pitched until I messed my arm up from pitching incorrectly. (too bad my coaches didn't ever teach me what I was doing wrong)...I saw Nolan pitch live in Cleveland more than once. I don't remember off hand but I'm sure I saw the all star game you are talking about. When I said that "in my opinion" Nolan was the best ever I had no idea it would spark any kind of argument, I mean, if you had an opinion about a player, I doubt I would argue with you about it. But that's just me. confused13.gif

ANYWAY...................This SHOULD be fun playing fantasy baseball with a few friends. Let's all have fun here.

I'm glad to get Pujols though, he "may" very well be "One of the" best offensive 1st basement to ever play the game. (notice the careful wording I use) laugh.gif

I need to work on my pitching staff and find a couple of sleepers................

Barney, you got Vlad with the 5th overall pick, not sure how that happened, and Limelight got Beltran with the 7th pick!!!!! I've been doing live mock drafts Live mock draft here every day and I've never seen vlad go any later than the 4th overall pick, and I've never seen Beltran go further than the 5th overall pick. So I'd say you guys did well with those first round picks. yes.gif

We will see if Beltran stands up to all the hype I've been hearing lately, he's at shea now and it's not the easiest ballpark to hit in that's for sure. Vlad, well in my opinion he's already proven himself by batting over 300 for 8 straight years and only failed to get over 100 RBI's one time in the last 8 while averaging 34 homers in that same time frame. I'd say that's proven yourself!!!! In other words, Good pickup Barney!!!!!!!!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (anagramking @ Mar 14 2005, 11:20 PM)

LOL. rofl3.gif

I still can't believe he charged the mound and went after a Legend like that. Anyone who can throw a 100 MPH fastball would have to have one hell of a punch ahahahaha.

I went to Cleveland and saw Nolan pitch his next start after that little incident, if I remember correctly, I think he only started one last game after that game I saw, looking back it's a little fuzzy but I think I am remembering correctly. I'm just grateful to know I had a chance to see him pitch in person. Cleveland stadium was demolished since then. laugh.gif (That didn't hurt my feelings one bit) BAH. Speaking of, I went to the last browns game before it was demolished and that was one crazy site to see, everyone was tearing the place apart, taking out the bleachers and everything else that they could get there hands on, you might not believe this but, I saw someone carrying one of the sinks out of the bathrooms as we left the parking lot, how they tore it off the wall still amazes me. fing.gif

Crazy times I tell ya. Of all the times I didn't have a camera on me, I wish that was one time when I did. mad.gif

Editing AGAIN because of spelling errors, I should just slow down a bit and not make any mistakes but bad habits are hard to break. yes.gif

Archived