The DIY thread.

Necromancer

QUOTE (Running Rebel @ Apr 3 2011, 07:30 AM)
Wow Janie, that is pretty awesome. I don't know where you got the idea but it really works. The cat really sets off the trim as well, haha.

My spring project has gone severly awry. Behind my house is a about 20 to 30 feet of woods then a fence separating us and the neighbors backyards. It was pretty dense and overgrown with wild honeysuckle and weeds which provided great cover and privacy when we sit on our deck. I had the bright idea that it would all look better with a natural landscape, with different trees and bushes, and add some color etc. Plus I had some ideas for some trellisses and a sitting area with a stone bench. I have been doing research for months, visiting nurseries and pricing stuff.

I finally spent the last few weekends out clearing all the brush before the leaves hit and gets hot. I have a sore back from the chainsaw and my hands and arms are scratched to hell from the thicket. I've been bundling kindling and burning and working my ass off.

I just about have phase one done and I come home last night and my wife is balling. She informed me she hates it. (I haven't actually planted anything and it's barren mind you, of course it looks like shit). She wants me to let it all grow back and not "landscape" anything.

My wife likes nice things, has a great touch on the interior of the house, like Janie, and is generally into the outside looking nice. I am totally flummoxed over her take on this. I have no idea what the hell to do now. She won't even listen to any of my ideas other than to say, "she hates it". It's probably the only real dissagreement we've ever had to be honest.

signed,

whining in the burg.

Thanks for the compliment RR. I think Smokey does go very well with the new bathroom. laugh.gif The brass really clashed with his black fur.

Onto your situation...

Keep at it. You have a vision, you did tons of research, and you've already removed all of the previous landscape. There's no turning back now anyway since it's all removed so just keep doing what you're doing. Your wife is going to have to trust what you have in mind.

For every single project I have ever done around the house, from painting a candlestick to the makeover in the bathroom, my husband complained, complained, complained. He hates when I start a project. He doesn't like to see the process of change. Sometimes he doesn't like the end result but other times he is amazed. Like the recent bathroom upgrade. While the shower was apart, we had to use another bathroom in the house and everyday I would have to hear about when "our" bathroom was going to be ready. Last night when I said I was done, he walked in to check it out and was floored. In fact, a while later I caught him standing in the bathroom just looking around. So, see, sometimes the significant other just needs to sit back, chill out and trust your judgment. Maybe you could give her a project of picking out flowers or something. That way, she'll feel like she's a part of it and will get excited about how the new garden will turn out. confused13.gif

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Janie @ Apr 3 2011, 10:36 AM)
QUOTE (Running Rebel @ Apr 3 2011, 07:30 AM)
Wow Janie, that is pretty awesome.  I don't know where you got the idea but it really works.  The cat really sets off the trim as well, haha.

My spring project has gone severly awry.  Behind my house is a about 20 to 30 feet of woods then a fence separating us and the neighbors backyards.  It was pretty dense and overgrown with wild honeysuckle and weeds which provided great cover and privacy when we sit on our deck.  I had the bright idea that it would all look better with a natural landscape, with different trees and bushes, and add some color etc.  Plus I had some ideas for some trellisses and a sitting area with a stone bench.  I have been doing research for months, visiting nurseries and pricing stuff.

I finally spent the last few weekends out clearing all the brush before the leaves hit and gets hot.  I have a sore back from the chainsaw and my hands and arms are scratched to hell from the thicket.  I've been bundling kindling and burning and working my ass off.

I just about have phase one done and I come home last night and my wife is balling.  She informed me she hates it.  (I haven't actually planted anything and it's barren mind you, of course it looks like shit).  She wants me to let it all grow back and not "landscape" anything.

My wife likes nice things, has a great touch on the interior of the house, like Janie, and is generally into the outside looking nice.  I am totally flummoxed over her take on this.  I have no idea what the hell to do now.  She won't even listen to any of my ideas other than to say, "she hates it".  It's probably the only real dissagreement we've ever had to be honest. 

signed,

whining in the burg.

Thanks for the compliment RR. I think Smokey does go very well with the new bathroom. laugh.gif The brass really clashed with his black fur.

Onto your situation...

Keep at it. You have a vision, you did tons of research, and you've already removed all of the previous landscape. There's no turning back now anyway since it's all removed so just keep doing what you're doing. Your wife is going to have to trust what you have in mind.

For every single project I have ever done around the house, from painting a candlestick to the makeover in the bathroom, my husband complained, complained, complained. He hates when I start a project. He doesn't like to see the process of change. Sometimes he doesn't like the end result but other times he is amazed. Like the recent bathroom upgrade. While the shower was apart, we had to use another bathroom in the house and everyday I would have to hear about when "our" bathroom was going to be ready. Last night when I said I was done, he walked in to check it out and was floored. In fact, a while later I caught him standing in the bathroom just looking around. So, see, sometimes the significant other just needs to sit back, chill out and trust your judgment. Maybe you could give her a project of picking out flowers or something. That way, she'll feel like she's a part of it and will get excited about how the new garden will turn out. confused13.gif

Thanks Janie, I think you are spot on. I think she senses this little bit of "woods" as some remnant of the past and is just refusing to look at the possibilities. I am confident one day she'll look back and agree I was right. Well, if I she doesn't kill me in the process biggrin.gif

Oh and when I mentioned flowers she said, "I don't want anything flowering, they just attract bees". *sigh*

Mind you last year she was off work and spent the entire summer planting flowers everywhere and going to classes on it, etc.

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Apr 5 2011, 05:17 AM)
NICE WORK JANIE! I am extraordinarily jealous! But motivated! Been wanting to do my bathroom for-EVER! Maybe I can manage it on my own after all!

I never tackled it myself because I thought I wouldn't be able to do it. Then, I slowly started taking things apart and before I knew it, I was amazed at how simple everything was installed. Like the shower. The thing was merely screwed into the wall and then caulk was placed all over for water. I had to remove the old caulk anyway because it needed to be replaced. It was far easier than I could have ever imagined.

And the lights were easy too. Cut the power, unscrew decorated screw caps, remove plate, unhook white wire, unhook black wire, paint plate, hook back up wires, screw on decorative hooks, turn power back on. Simple.

I'm amazed at how much money I saved by doing this myself.

IN march this area was 20 foot high thick brush, mostly honeysuckle. I cleared it all out, dug out roots, rock, and hauled in tons of top soil, rock, plants and trees, etc.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k168/yangster1020/2011-07-11082101.jpg

Here's a pic of the other side from my deck. The potting bench I built out of a bunch of sections from an old house that I bought. Got a little carried away with the colors but that will probably change.

Alot of the plants thoughout are creeping and vining which don't really show. there are ton of perenials that will grow as well as a Dappled Willow and Lilac tree.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k168/yangster1020/2011-07-03165014.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k168/yangster1020/2011-07-11082010.jpg

I built the shed and layed the rock path. It has a limestone base, then gravel and then top soil filled in. I am trying to grow some Irish Moss that will hopfully spread between the stones and that's Dead Nettle on the left that is starting to spread as well.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k168/yangster1020/2011-07-04164110.jpg

This is the other side. The back corner is Ostrich fern which should get about 5 feet tall. That's an old cobbler's bench I picked up for $5 that has some creeping Jenny coming out for now but I have some ideas for using it as a planter next year.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k168/yangster1020/2011-07-11081903.jpg

Another view. It's all a work in progress and will take a few years for everything to grow and look right. At the other end I planted to Japanese Maples, "Peaches and Cream" that can take the shade and will turn a cool white and yellow in the fall and provide some privacy between yards.

I built the shed (from a kit that I made modifications to) and layed the rock path, which has crushed limestone under a gravel base and to keep it from getting all whacky down the road.

QUOTE (Running Rebel @ Jul 11 2011, 03:01 PM)
IN march this area was 20 foot high thick brush, mostly honeysuckle. I cleared it all out, dug out roots, rock, and hauled in tons of top soil, rock, plants and trees, etc.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k168/yangster1020/2011-07-11082101.jpg

That looks like a very nice yard to do some hard core relaxing in.

QUOTE (Running Rebel @ Jul 11 2011, 03:08 PM)
I'm not big on the cherubs but the wife had them in a previous small bed as markers for her two deceased cats.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k168/yangster1020/2011-07-04164155.jpg

Ohhh, I think that's sweet. I have a rock marker for Crummy Jones. I love the cat cherubs though! Wish I would have thought of that.

QUOTE (Running Rebel @ Jul 11 2011, 03:10 PM)

I built the shed and layed the rock path. It has a limestone base, then gravel and then top soil filled in. I am trying to grow some Irish Moss that will hopfully spread between the stones and that's Dead Nettle on the left that is starting to spread as well.

That is a lot of work and you did a GREAT job!

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 11 2011, 11:25 PM)
QUOTE (Running Rebel @ Jul 11 2011, 03:10 PM)

I built the shed and layed the rock path.  It has a limestone base, then gravel and then top soil filled in.  I am trying to grow some Irish Moss that will hopfully spread between the stones and that's Dead Nettle on the left that is starting to spread as well.

That is a lot of work and you did a GREAT job!

Thanks, I keep refering to it as "The Secret Garden". ON the right side of the shed I am going to build a small Pergola type structure with ivy growning up and over it, then put some deck chairs out to relax around and possibly a small above ground fitpit or something.

Under the firepit and I am going to use a colored gravel base and build a "red star" in the middle of it smile.gif

But I already have signs made up and found a log cabin pole to hang them on modeled after this,

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k168/yangster1020/077.jpg

which is a pic from Key West. I made all the signs out of places we've visited, like Taverse City 872 miles, New York 1326 mi. etc. But one of them says, Rivendell 0 miles.

The wife is totally on board and loves to shop for little knick nacks and such. There's a bunch of little frogs and inchworms and such that you have to look close to find, as well as various suns and moons. I need the plants and trees and ivy to grow so those don't become tacky though.

QUOTE (nettiesaur @ Aug 3 2012, 09:34 AM)
bumper.gif
Bumping this up for Mika. biggrin.gif

Thank you! I was going to have a search around for it tonight, so now when I get home I'll be able to check it out! trink39.gif