Super Size Me

afansince74

Didn't see a thread on this yet (if I missed it, sorry!) so here goes...

This is a 'documentary' on a guy who goes on a McDonald's only 'diet' for one month to see the effects on him. Very facinating. I had time to watch this, finally! Everybody should see this at least once. Below are a few thing I thought about after seeing it (sorry, it got kind of long! confused13.gif ). What did you think?

NOTE: There is some discusion here that may be perceived as a SPOILER, so if you don't want to know about any part of it... PLEASE, DO NOT READ FURTHER!

First off, the Smoking Fry thing... I've found 'old' fries under car seats and known that I had been months since I had eaten in the car, but I guess I never really thought about what it should have looked like! (My personal fav in this segment was the chicken sandwich... so... runny!) 062802puke_prv.gif

In the special features, there's an interview with the author of "Fast Food Nation" that you should watch. It's about 20+ min. but I found it as interesting as the movie itself! Actually, all the special features are worth watching. yes.gif

As far as the film itself, I thought it was very well done. It was fairly well documented and he established a good baseline to judge by, so the results were pretty dramatic for him. I don't think I expected much else as far as the ending was concerned. Anyone watching this could figure out from the onset where this was going to lead! I did have some thoughts as I was watching though.

One thing I wondered about was that he seemed to be a fairly healthy eater already. His girlfriend is a Vegan and she made his 'last supper' in the film. They've obviously been together for a while, and I'd guess by watching her that they eat alot together and he doesn't mind. At least that's what I picked up on watching them together. Anyway, my point is that I wonder what the baseline and then the consequent physical reactions would have been with a more 'regular' guy? And what I mean by that is, would a guy who already eats like several times a week at fast food places, or the guy who eats every lunch (5 day/week) there but has home-cooked meals at nights... what would HIS baseline be, and how would HIS body react? Not saying ANYTHING here other than I'm curious what kind of eating habits he had before all this. And if a more 'normal' test subject would get "less dramatic" results. Like I said, this thinking is on the assumption that he eats a lot of what his Vegan girlfried makes. I know at the end he went on a special 'cleansing' diet she put him on, and the notes at the end said he quit it after a while, but I'd bet he was a pretty healthy eater to start with.

Another thing was the throwing up towards the beginning. This also relates back to my previous point about him eating his girlfriends food mostly, but more specifically a seperate observation here. I know he was trying to show about the sizes and amounts in the servings, but he was obviously forcing himself to completely eat the entire supersized meal, every last bit, one of his first ever meals in this experiment, and got sick becuase he ate too much. Not because of some reaction to the food in his body, as the film might lead you to assume that's what they're saying at that point, but he was forcing the last several bites after complaining of feeling uncomfortable and all bloated! I think he just flat out he ate too much and puked! That's all.

But with all that being said, it's still makes you think about ever going back into anyplace like that. I used to be a GM for 3 years in this industry, so I can only tell you of what I know about Taco Bell (at least the way it was 10 yrs ago). As far as 'processed' foods go, TB has a program called 'kitchen quick prep' in which they pre-make some of the items, mainly just the beef, chicken, steak, and beans. The beans, for example, are freeze-dried, real refried beans. You add one quart of boiling water (out of an instant boiling water tap on the wall) to one bag of beans, cover and let stand covered 30 min., then serve. Hence 'quick prep'! All the meat is prepared the same. Since it's pre-packaged in vacuum sealed, boil-in-bag containers, each bag is just immersed in a boiling water stock pot and 'cooked' for 30 min. I'm sure the meats are all processed much the same as described in this movie, but I can't be sure. I do know that during the short time we did breakfasts, the bacon and sausage came directly from Oscar Meyer and Jimmie Dean, respectively, so it's hopefully a better quality coming from them, for what that's worth. But everything else is prep'ed in each store... fresh tomatoes, cilantro, onions, lettuce, all cut, sliced, diced, mixed as needed into pico de gallo, salsa, or just by themselves as taco toppings. The lettuce is now pre-shredded and packaged, but all the other ingredients are fresh.

I'm not saying that TB is good for you or anything like that, I just know that as far as fast food places go, it's about the only place I feel comfortable about what's going on behind the counter, not only with the food itself, but for the "food safety" issues ALL resturants face, with cleanliness, sanitation, etc. I thought the movie might delve into that a bit, which it didn't, but that' a whole nuther movie right there! OMG... take the food safety course I had to... You'll never want to eat ANYTHING ever again! I'm serious... there's stuff out there that thrives in every environment imaginable; you say boil it or cook it at high temps... sorry, there's stuff that doesn't start growing until it get above 180f, you say freeze it... sorry again, you say vacuum seal it... nope, there are anaerobic organisms that thrive in a no-air environment... you just can't beat 'em!! All you can do is hold them at bay long enough so they'll pass through your body! That's the reality of eating anything, no matter where you get your food from.

But you know, TB is a little cog on the big, huge, Pepsico wheel, along with Pizza Hut, KFC, Frito Lay, and Pepsi Cola (of course). I think these guys know a thing or two about marketing! And even though I worked for them and feel Taco Bell is still the 'least' of the bunch, it's still not good for you. None of it is. But we all knew that already! It's up to us to decide what and when to eat. It's like anyhting else we do on this earth, we make choices that affect us for years to come. As adults we have that 'freedom of choice' because we have knowledge, common sense, and resources that help us make informed, intelligent decisions. Kids are still learning, they don't have near the common sense yet, and certainly aren't going to seek out information like this, even if they knew how! It our example, as parents, that will do the greatest good, IMO.

Bottom line, see this movie if you can, 'cause this is stuff you NEED to know, at least! Do with it what you will, but don't blame anyone else, like McDonald, saying "you had no idea" because you will, if you watch this!

I thought it sucked...It's pretty obvious eating that much McD is very bad for your health. The dude was trying to be Michael Moore lite (yeah yeah bring on the silly weight jokes lol) and it didn't work. I also thought the dude was quite a wimp. Puking up the first SuperSized Mcmeal (can't remember what it was). Not worth the hype at all IMO. Edited by Test4VitalSigns

Why is it that a movie about a guy who eats nothing but McDonald's burgers and subsequently gains weight is treated as The Great Revelation Of Our Age? I could have told you that and saved you two hours.

Cripes, what's with all the negative feedback? Man goes out his way to do a very nice write-up on a movie that intrigued him to give the rest of us the skinny on it. What's wrong with that?

I say Great review 74! I've been semi-intrigued about this movie myself and might pick it up. I agree that McD's = not good for you equation may seem obvious, but that doesn't stop millions from doing it anyway so going behind the scenes to figure out why isn't a bad idea.

Good work 74,

cool.gif

Schro

I wasn't slagging 74's review I was giving my opinion on the movie itself. Just because it is a well written review it doesn't mean it is a good movie. This applies to all movie reviews. That's why they are written..it induces opinions and discussion. Hey you want to check it out fine but 74 ask what we thought of it and I gave my honest opinion. It is a well written review but Roger Ebert wrote well written reviews of both good and bad movies....doesn't mean I think they are good or bad myself..... yes.gif ...

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Feb 21 2005, 12:00 PM)
I wasn't slagging 74's review I was giving my opinion on the movie itself. Just because it is a well written review it doesn't mean it is a good movie. This applies to all movie reviews. That's why they are written..it induces opinions and discussion. Hey you want to check it out fine but 74 ask what we thought of it and I gave my honest opinion. It is a well written review but Roger Ebert wrote well written reviews of both good and bad movies....doesn't mean I think they are good or bad myself..... yes.gif ...

Yeah, what he said. I bear no malice towards AFS74 whatsoever, I was just expressing my opinion of the film itself. You all should know that as the humble host of this forum, I would never attack anyone posting a review of a film. Those types of posts are always welcome, even if I think the film is complete crap. We can disagree and still get along.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Feb 20 2005, 10:01 PM)
I thought it sucked...It's pretty obvious eating that much McD is very bad for your health. The dude was trying to be Michael Moore lite (yeah yeah bring on the silly weight jokes lol) and it didn't work. I also thought the dude was quite a wimp. Puking up the first SuperSized Mcmeal (can't remember what it was). Not worth the hype at all IMO.

Anyway Testes eats Wendys 7 days a week confused13.gif 1287.gif argh

QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Feb 21 2005, 01:24 PM)
I thought it sucked...It's pretty obvious eating that much McD is very bad for your health.  The dude was trying to be Michael Moore lite (yeah yeah bring on the silly weight jokes  lol)  and it didn't work.  I also thought the dude was quite a wimp.  Puking up the first SuperSized Mcmeal (can't remember what it was).  Not worth the hype at all IMO.

ye rotating taco bell, mc d's, burger king, wendy's, little caesar's and whatever the hell else u shovel into your mouth is so much more healthier....you get paid for sitting on the toilet every night rofl3.gif tongue.gif 1287.gif bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Feb 21 2005, 12:00 PM)
I wasn't slagging 74's review I was giving my opinion on the movie itself.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 21 2005, 12:00 PM)

Yeah, what he said. I bear no malice towards AFS74 whatsoever, I was just expressing my opinion of the film itself. 

Ok you two, I give. Perhaps I misinterpreted your sentiment - my apologies. Bad Schro!

bd.gif

(runs away before someone thinks it's time for a group hug)

cool.gif

Schro

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Feb 21 2005, 01:40 PM)
QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Feb 21 2005, 01:24 PM)
I thought it sucked...It's pretty obvious eating that much McD is very bad for your health.  The dude was trying to be Michael Moore lite (yeah yeah bring on the silly weight jokes  lol)  and it didn't work.  I also thought the dude was quite a wimp.  Puking up the first SuperSized Mcmeal (can't remember what it was).  Not worth the hype at all IMO.

ye rotating taco bell, mc d's, burger king, wendy's, little caesar's and whatever the hell else u shovel into your mouth is so much more healthier....you get paid for sitting on the toilet every night rofl3.gif tongue.gif 1287.gif bekloppt.gif

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Stop!!! Please!!! Sides.... hurting..... falling out of.....chair......

You guys are so great! rofl3.gif Thanks Schro, for 'stickin up' for me! But I didn't take anything the wrong way from anyone here! In fact, I kind of agree that it's not all that great of a movie, but from an informational point of view (and including the bonu features), I thought it was worth people checking out. I don't even remember what I wrote exactly, but I probably had a bigger interest in this having done my 'time' in mgmt. at Taco Hell. Plus, I am an independent contractor now, in a very small town with not a lot of options, and I end up eating a lot of my lunches at these places, although I do try to get to 'real' restaurants as often as possible.

Anyway, I just thought the movie was interesting, but if mom hadn't sent it to me, I doubt that I would have ever rented it. I think it's worth a look, when you can't find anything else to rent anyway! tongue.gif And for those of you who have seen it, can you offer any explaination about the french fries?? What makes them stay so "fresh" for so long!! ohmy.gif laugh.gif

Thanks again for everyones opinion. That's what this board is all about... our opinions, and our love for Rush, of course! biggrin.gif

I sorta lost interest in the movie when the guy spent a long time eating his Double QP /w cheese meal and then lost it in the parking lot. I mean, I can sort of understand if you have a vegan chef girlfriend and vegetables are all you eat.... but it just didn't work for me.

I think most people already know that McDonalds isn't good for you.... and I know personally that when my family was in crisis and we ate there for 3 months every day, I will NEVER eat there again. Thinking about a mcmuffin makes me sick tongue.gif