APOD

RushRevisited

This thread is awesome ! 1022.gif Im a huge Space nut, i watch anything about the Planets thats on. I went on Mission space 5 times last week at Disney and even bought a t-shirt with Mission space on it. I am a space nerd !!!

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (tick @ Dec 17 2007, 06:01 PM)
This thread is awesome ! 1022.gif Im a huge Space nut, i watch anything about the Planets thats on. I went on Mission space 5 times last week at Disney and even bought a t-shirt with Mission space on it. I am a space nerd !!!

the ride is great but my favorite part is all of the people from the ride before you puking in their bags or laying down when the ride ends. I've never seen so many people adversely affected by a ride before.

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Dec 17 2007, 03:55 PM)
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0712/Mountains_spitzer_f800.jpg

Explanation: This fantastic skyscape lies at the eastern edge of giant stellar nursery W5, about 7,000 light-years away in the constellation Cassiopeia. An infrared view from the Spitzer Space Telescope, it features interstellar clouds of cold gas and dust sculpted by winds and radiation from a hot, massive star outside the picture (just above and to the right). Still swaddled within the cosmic clouds, newborn stars are revealed by Spitzer's penetrating gaze, their formation also triggered by the massive star. Fittingly dubbed "Mountains of Creation", these interstellar clouds are about 10 times the size of the analogous Pillars of Creation in M16, made famous in a 1995 Hubble Space Telescope view. W5 is also known as IC 1848 and together with IC 1805 it is part of a complex region popularly dubbed the Heart and Soul Nebulae. The Spitzer image spans about 70 light-years at the distance of W5.

applaudit.gif YAY! I love, APOD biggrin.gif

You know, if you look at the image it looks like something else...really, it does...to me anyway laugh.gif

RR, you should post these more often wink.gif

QUOTE (Daylin @ Dec 18 2007, 03:38 PM)
QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Dec 17 2007, 03:55 PM)

Explanation: This fantastic skyscape lies at the eastern edge of giant stellar nursery W5, about 7,000 light-years away in the constellation Cassiopeia. An infrared view from the Spitzer Space Telescope, it features interstellar clouds of cold gas and dust sculpted by winds and radiation from a hot, massive star outside the picture (just above and to the right). Still swaddled within the cosmic clouds, newborn stars are revealed by Spitzer's penetrating gaze, their formation also triggered by the massive star. Fittingly dubbed "Mountains of Creation", these interstellar clouds are about 10 times the size of the analogous Pillars of Creation in M16, made famous in a 1995 Hubble Space Telescope view. W5 is also known as IC 1848 and together with IC 1805 it is part of a complex region popularly dubbed the Heart and Soul Nebulae. The Spitzer image spans about 70 light-years at the distance of W5.

applaudit.gif YAY! I love, APOD biggrin.gif

You know, if you look at the image it looks like something else...really, it does...to me anyway laugh.gif

RR, you should post these more often wink.gif

i know... me too daylin.

love APOD.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0712/baadewindow_guisard.jpg

Explanation: Billions of stars light up the direction toward the center of our Galaxy. The vast majority of these stars are themselves billions of years old, rivaling their home Milky Way Galaxy in age. Together with interstellar dust, these old stars combine to create this yellowish starscape. Although the opaque dust obscures the true Galactic center in visible light, there is a low density hole in the dust on the right of the image. The region, named Baade's Window for the German astronomer who studied it, is used to inspect distant stars and to determine the internal geometry of the Milky Way. Baade's Window lies toward the constellation of the Archer (Sagittarius).

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Dec 17 2007, 01:55 PM)

It looks like an angel with wings to me. 1022.gif

QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ Dec 20 2007, 09:27 AM)
QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Dec 17 2007, 01:55 PM)

It looks like an angel with wings to me. 1022.gif

YES! Exactly what I thought biggrin.gif

RR, thanks for posting today's APOD! trink39.gif

Sometimes when it's a little bit cloudy you can safely see the sun, Or if it's low enough in the sky, And you may think how small it is, Then a picture like this puts the earth you live on into perspective

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/4268/sunandearthvv3.jpg

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0712/trifidpillars_hst.jpg

Explanation: Dust pillars are like interstellar mountains. They survive because they are more dense than their surroundings, but they are being slowly eroded away by a hostile environment. Visible in the above picture is the end of a huge gas and dust pillar in the Trifid Nebula, punctuated by a smaller pillar pointing up and an unusual jet pointing to the left. The pink dots are newly formed low-mass stars. A star near the small pillar's end is slowly being stripped of its accreting gas by radiation from a tremendously brighter star situated off the above picture to the upper right. The jet extends nearly a light-year and would not be visible without external illumination. As gas and dust evaporate from the pillars, the hidden stellar source of this jet will likely be uncovered, possibly over the next 20,000 years.

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Dec 26 2007, 02:46 PM)
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0712/trifidpillars_hst.jpg

Explanation: Dust pillars are like interstellar mountains. They survive because they are more dense than their surroundings, but they are being slowly eroded away by a hostile environment. Visible in the above picture is the end of a huge gas and dust pillar in the Trifid Nebula, punctuated by a smaller pillar pointing up and an unusual jet pointing to the left. The pink dots are newly formed low-mass stars. A star near the small pillar's end is slowly being stripped of its accreting gas by radiation from a tremendously brighter star situated off the above picture to the upper right. The jet extends nearly a light-year and would not be visible without external illumination. As gas and dust evaporate from the pillars, the hidden stellar source of this jet will likely be uncovered, possibly over the next 20,000 years.

Beautiful!

Another image that looks like something else...you know wink.gif

Awesome. Thanks, RR trink39.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Dec 26 2007, 03:58 PM)
QUOTE (nimagraven @ Dec 26 2007, 03:53 PM)
Oh wow. I just found this thread now.. I have a telescope myself, but I've not used it in a while and I really should.

Thanks for this beautiful thread!!

Which scope you have?

Oh, I dunno! To tell you the truth, I need to get it out and give it some TLC before I do anything to it. It's not been used for years and it was given to me as a Christmas present from when I was about 12 years old smile.gif.. I think I looked at the moon once and looked at a comet a fair few years back.. Apparently it can see as far as Saturn's rings or something... Never really attempted it properly cos it sounds impossible to figure out where everything is lol.

By the way, my friend gave me this (in reference to the sun and earth comparison posting)

http://www.samtsai.com/p468/#more-468 - check the clip out smile.gif.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0712/clouds_aguirre.jpg

Explanation: Normal cloud bottoms are flat because moist warm air that rises and cools will condense into water droplets at a very specific temperature, which usually corresponds to a very specific height. After water droplets form that air becomes an opaque cloud. Under some conditions, however, cloud pockets can develop that contain large droplets of water or ice that fall into clear air as they evaporate. Such pockets may occur in turbulent air near a thunderstorm, being seen near the top of an anvil cloud, for example. Resulting mammatus clouds can appear especially dramatic if sunlit from the side. These mammatus clouds were photographed over Monclova, Mexico.

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Jan 2 2008, 08:39 AM)

Explanation: Normal cloud bottoms are flat because moist warm air that rises and cools will condense into water droplets at a very specific temperature, which usually corresponds to a very specific height. After water droplets form that air becomes an opaque cloud. Under some conditions, however, cloud pockets can develop that contain large droplets of water or ice that fall into clear air as they evaporate. Such pockets may occur in turbulent air near a thunderstorm, being seen near the top of an anvil cloud, for example. Resulting mammatus clouds can appear especially dramatic if sunlit from the side. These mammatus clouds were photographed over Monclova, Mexico.

ohmy.gif Cotton!

Happy New Year, RR trink39.gif

QUOTE (Daylin @ Jan 2 2008, 11:45 AM)
QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Jan 2 2008, 08:39 AM)

ohmy.gif Cotton!

Happy New Year, RR trink39.gif

Cotton! Amazing! ohmy.gif bncegrn.gif

Happy New Year to you as well RR. trink39.gif Thanks for keeping these pics up. Keep 'em coming... please. trink38.gif

And hi Lin! heart.gif Happy New Year to you! smile.gif

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0801/M33tuttle_kempenStar800.jpg

Explanation: This gorgeous galaxy and comet portrait was recorded on December 30th, in the skies over Hoogeveen, The Netherlands. The combined series of 60 x 60 second exposures finds the lovely green coma of Comet 8P/Tuttle near its predicted conjunction with the Triangulum Galaxy. Aligning each exposure with the stars shows the comet as a streak, slowly moving against the background stars and galaxy. An alternative composition with exposures centered on the comet, shows the background stars and galaxy as streaks. The alluring celestial scene would also have been a rewarding one for the influential 18th century comet hunter Charles Messier. While Messier scanned French skies for comets, he carefully cataloged positions of things which were fuzzy and comet-like in appearance but did not move against the background stars and so were definitely not comets. The Triangulum Galaxy, also known as M33, is the 33rd object in his famous not-a-comet catalog. The modern understanding holds that the Triangulum Galaxy is a large spiral galaxy some 3 million light-years distant. Comet 8P/Tuttle, just bright enough to be visible to the unaided eye in dark, northern skies, is about 40 million kilometers (2 light-minutes) away.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/0801/16500feetmilkywaykc2_brunier800.jpg

Our own galaxy The Milky Way viewed from the Chilean Andes at 16500ft.

Climb up to 5000 meters (16,500 feet) above sea level, near Cerro Chajnantor in the northern Chilean Andes, and your night sky could encompass this cosmic vista. Recorded from that high and dry locale, the spectacular fish-eye image features the myriad stars and sprawling dust clouds of our Milky Way Galaxy. The direction toward the center of the Galaxy is near the zenith and center of the picture, but the Galactic Center itself is hidden from view, located far behind the obscuring dust. Brilliant Jupiter rules this scene just above the Milky Way's central bulge with the noticeably fainter, yellowish, giant star Antares to its right. Small and faint, near the right edge of the picture is one of the Milky Way's many satellite galaxies, the Small Magellanic Cloud.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0801/m51_hst_lgx.jpg

Explanation: Follow the handle of the Big Dipper away from the dipper's bowl, until you get to the handle's last bright star. Then, just slide your telescope a little south and west and you might find this stunning pair of interacting galaxies, the 51st entry in Charles Messier's famous catalog. Perhaps the original spiral nebula, the large galaxy with well defined spiral structure is also cataloged as NGC 5194. Its spiral arms and dust lanes clearly sweep in front of its companion galaxy (right), NGC 5195. The pair are about 31 million light-years distant and officially lie within the boundaries of the small constellation Canes Venatici. Though M51 looks faint and fuzzy in small, earthbound telescopes, this sharpest ever picture of M51 was made in January 2005 with the Advanced Camera for Surveys on board the Hubble Space Telescope.