My Review of All Hope Is Gone

Steve_888

Okay before i begin here with this being mainly a Rush forum i dont expect a lot or perhaps even any Slipknot fans to rear there heads around but let me say this if you dont like Slipknot dont respond to this by simply saying

OH how can you listen to that screaming thats not even music. DONT CARE!

Ive herd that from enough people.

I somehow seem to enjoy a big range of music that includes going to a Rush concert then a Slipknot show within a month of each other so back off.

The following is my review of Slipknot's new album All Hope Is Gone which was released in North America yesterday (Aug 26th)

The album is pretty cool some awesome elements of the old Slipknot that kicks you in the @$$ and some songs that are very new and kinda sound like Stone Sour.

1. Execute: Good intro gets MUCH louder as it goes on, love how Joey goes ape s**t on the drums for the last 40 seconds or so, very good intro and lead in into the first real song.

2. Gematria (The Killing Name): AWESOME song, old Slipknot all the way, just heavy f'n metal all the way here, one of the top 3 songs on the album.

3. Sulfur: Another really heavy song yet has a melodic chorus but it fits very well, kinda a cross between Iowa and Vol 3, but more Iowa. Another great song.

4. Psychosocial: All the Slipknot fans have already herd this 100X but i still love this song very catchy great move by making it the first single.

5. Dead Memories: This to me sounds alot more like a Stone Sour song then a Slipknot song, its not a bad song by any means, actually if this were on a Stone Sour record it would probably be one of the best songs, it just doesnt feel like it should be on a Slipknot album. Good song, just kinda outta place.

6. Vendetta: Another kinda Stone Sourish song too me but alot more Slipknot shows up here F*cking awesome drumming by Joey here, i think i will like this one more with repeated listening.

7. Butchers Hook: Ive herd alot of people who just arent digging this song, I however love it very hard, lyrics are F*cking awesome.

8. Gehenna: Meh probably one of those songs you gotta listen to a bunch of times, i really couldnt get into it a whole bunch, best way to describe it for me is like another Vermillion except a bit harder. Kinda wired song.

9. This Cold Black: HEAVY F'N METAL here old school Slipknot all the way.

10. Wherein Lies Continue: Another heavy song with a melodic chorus, Corey screams his a** off most of the song but brings out his Stone Sour voice again for the Chorus, good song though, very nice and heavy. Reminds me of Vol 3 alot.

11. Sulfur: The acoustic track of the album, unlike the ones from Vol 3 (Circle and Vermillion Pt.2) This one has some heavy sounding drumming though, alot of people don't like these kinda songs on Slipknot records but i don't mind them.

12. All Hope Is Gone: F'N AWESOME, couldn't think of a better way to end a record. Thats kinda been my one problem with Slipknot, ive never been a fan of the last couple songs on there albums but this one is just f'n heavy screaming, sounds alot like an Iowa song. It just kicks your a** to end the song, perfect way to end a Slipknot record.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bonus Songs

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those people who bought the Special Edition with the DVD and the 3 Bonus Songs:

13. Child Of A Burning Time: meh i can kinda see why this isn't on the main record, but i wouldn't call this song special, good moments but it just doesn't do it for me.

14. Vermillion Pt 2 (Bloodstone Mix): Kinda cool what they did here, for me it sounds like if Slipknot had an orchestra behind it however that can only apply for a song like this and they don't have many like this. Its a somewhat cool experiment and of the 3 bonus songs its the one i like most but i don't like how they just faded out instead of the actual ending the song has on Vol 3

15. 'Til We Die: I was expecting great things from this song but just like Child Of A Burning Time i was kinda disappointed, some good moments but in the end a song i just don't dig.

My total review (first of the bonus songs)

For me they could have left out the Bonus songs and it wouldn't have brothered me one bit perhaps i just need to listen to em alot but as of now they just don't do it more me.

NINE: The Making Of All Hope is Gone (DVD)

This DVD (if you didnt know) is about a 40 Minute DVD showing the making of the Album.

Overall i would give the DVD maybe a 6/10.

The DVD is very random and reminds me alot of the Voliminal DVD (which for me wasn't good at all) however it is better then Voliminal. Most of it they show just each individual jamming out or recording there own certain part. I think the best is watching Joey, damn he is amazing on those drums. Watching Mick, Jim and Paul is a treat too, and whats great is how they are totally unmasked and there faces ARE NOT blurred. One complaint i had is of all the clips they had of Corey doing singing takes, thats all it was Singing, doing his Stone Sour vocals, i would have liked to have seen at least one clip of him doing his scream. Also cool to see Sid do some scratching for the album.

Some comedy elements in there too with Shawn setting off a S**T LOAD of fireworks right behind Corey who looks like he is about half asleep and Sid's obsession with some toy gun. Other then that there is alot of random clips from there photo shoots with those big head masks on.

DVD i guess is a cool extra, nothing too s**t your pants over though. 6/10.

The original album itself (the 12 main songs). I would rate this as a very good Slipknot album, im not sure if i would call it the best Slipknot album because all 4 of them are different in there own way, but this album defiantly carries some songs that will become classic Slipknot songs in the future.

In the end i give this album an 8/10, could have bit a tad better but i think most Slipknot fans are very satisfied with this album and cant wait to throw down some of these new songs live.

the 1 song i have heard is better than the handfull of new shitallica songs . imo

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Aug 27 2008, 01:52 PM)
I liked their first album. Not the self-titled nu-metal garbage that blew them up, but that weird one they don't even acknowledge. They were way more experimental on that one.

Yeah, the first album was good.........I heard this newest one the other day, and it's awful. Pretty much unlistenable...........

the first two albums were great, for them . But get boring after a while . Theirs too much good metal out there to entertain listening to the new slipknot album .

If you want to hear something ripping from mick thomson , listen to malovent creations - deliver my enemy .

http://www.myspace.com/mickthomson2

they won't top IOWA.

Archived