XM/Sirius merger finalized!

The Owl

http://www.reuters.com/article/industryNew...0080730?sp=true

This was posted about a week ago.

Welcome Sirius XM (Now that's origional)

Well after announcing the merger in Feburary on 07, it has finally happened. After a Year and a half of FCC, FTC...etc regulations and approvials Sirius and XM sattelite radio finally complete the merger.

I am not (yet) a subscriber to any, but I am frequently around XM radio, at least frequetly enough to know what Stations I like (BoneYard, Deep Tracks, Fine Tuning...etc).

So I have a question to those with XM or Sirius subscriptions, It seems that all is left to be done is the actual "Merger" of the Radio. I cannot find anything on the net yet as to when programming of each is going to change, and how it will change the channels you recieve. Have you heard anything yet?

Are you worried about losing some of your faviorate stations when the programming merges?

XM came with my new car, and after a three month trial I decided to buy one year (not too long of a commitment I thought). Recent vacation trips to NC and OH proved its mettle. Deep Tracks (probably my fav station), The Bone Yard and a few others play some great stuff and rarely heard nuggets like A Venture from Yes and No Way Out from David Gilmour- even By-Tor! On those two trips, Foxtrot and Wind & Wuthering just happened to be featured albums on DT (getting played track for track over the course of a few hours.. being use to the Seconds Out version, hearing the original Suppers Ready again ruled), and Tom Petty's Burried Treasures show is always a treat. I ended up not playing a single cd on my last trip.

I waiting with great curiosity to see what is going to happen. Am I going to get Howard Stern and the NFL and Sirius' rock stations (XM could use more) in the near future??? I guess I was for the merger for those prospects. Something about it all tho doesn't smell good, but this is satellite radio. Who knows if it all won't go bust sometime in the future despite a merger. Still listen to a lot of terrestrial radio when local, so I haven't given up on the spirit of radio. This satellite stuff.. it came with my ride so for now, i'm just going along for the ride.

From what I understand, my current Sirius subcription will not change, at least not in the near future. I was told I will continue to get my regular Sirius content for the same price of 12.95 a month. However, starting in October I will be able to choose various XM content for an extra $4.00 a month.

I think it's gonna be very successful and right now the stock is real cheap so it's a good time to buy.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Aug 11 2008, 12:11 PM)
From what I understand, my current Sirius subcription will not change, at least not in the near future. I was told I will continue to get my regular Sirius content for the same price of 12.95 a month. However, starting in October I will be able to choose various XM content for an extra $4.00 a month.

good to know, i have the two of them trink39.gif

I listen to Fred, Ethel, Lucy, Squizz, Big Tracks, and the Bone Yard. I'd hate to lose any of those, because I'm impressed with XMs variety. I've heard a slew of different Rush songs on XM including 2112 (in it's entirety, Bytor and the Snowdog, Anthem, and The Trees. I haven't listened to Sirius, so maybe their programing isn't all bad.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Aug 11 2008, 10:55 AM)
I listen to Fred, Ethel, Lucy, Squizz, Big Tracks, and the Bone Yard. I'd hate to lose any of those, because I'm impressed with XMs variety. I've heard a slew of different Rush songs on XM including 2112 (in it's entirety, Bytor and the Snowdog, Anthem, and The Trees. I haven't listened to Sirius, so maybe their programing isn't all bad.

Your XM channels shouldn't change. You should be able to get some Sirius content for a few extra bucks.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Aug 11 2008, 01:10 PM)
I listen to Fred, Ethel, Lucy, Squizz, Big Tracks, and the Bone Yard.  I'd hate to lose any of those, because I'm impressed with XMs variety.  I've heard a slew of different Rush songs on XM including 2112 (in it's entirety, Bytor and the Snowdog, Anthem, and The Trees.  I haven't listened to Sirius, so maybe their programing isn't all bad.

Your XM channels shouldn't change. You should be able to get some Sirius content for a few extra bucks.

What's worth while on Sirius?

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Aug 11 2008, 11:22 AM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Aug 11 2008, 01:10 PM)
I listen to Fred, Ethel, Lucy, Squizz, Big Tracks, and the Bone Yard.  I'd hate to lose any of those, because I'm impressed with XMs variety.  I've heard a slew of different Rush songs on XM including 2112 (in it's entirety, Bytor and the Snowdog, Anthem, and The Trees.  I haven't listened to Sirius, so maybe their programing isn't all bad.

What's worth while on Sirius?

if you're not a fan of Howard Stern or the NFL, probably not much. The rock stations are really good, but I'm sure it's similar to what you get on XM.

That's the one thing Sirius is missing, a good Prog station. The closest they come is The Vault. They play deep cuts from bands like Tull, Floyd, Genesis, Rush etc...

Hopefully now with the merger I'll be able to check out Boneyard.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Aug 11 2008, 05:10 PM)
That's the one thing Sirius is missing, a good Prog station. The closest they come is The Vault. They play deep cuts from bands like Tull, Floyd, Genesis, Rush etc...

Hopefully now with the merger I'll be able to check out Boneyard.

From what I've heard of the Boneyard they play quite a bit of Prog, alot of prog/metal.

Fine Tuning is another good station they play the softer prog.

XM has an artist seach on thier website, and what stations are playing what artists. Here are a few that you can find

http://www.xmradio.com/music/index.xmc

--------------Rush----------------

Bone Yard

Big Tracks (Later classic Rock)

Deep Tracks

The 80's

Fine Tuning

------------Floyd/Roger Waters/David Gilmour-----------------

Top Tracks (Early Classic Rock)

Big Tracks (Later Classic Rock)

Deep Tracks

Fine Tuning

The 80's

The 70's

The Loft (Acoustic Rock/Singer Songwriter)

-------------Yes-------------

Top Tracks

Fine Tuning

Deep Tracks

Big Tracks

70's

80's

------------------Dream Theater-----------

BoneYard

Deep Tracks

------------------------Porcupine Tree/Blackfield--------------

Fine Tuning