best way to sell a guitar?

liddybuck01

my husband has a guitar he wants to sell. we've tried local stores and they didn't make good enough offers. we know of ebay, but that's the only site i know of. plus i hear you gotta pay them out the ass just to put it on there.

any suggestions?

thanks!

yeah i told him to try that. just gotta get around to taking pics and posting it. the guitar is pretty much brand new so i don't see why it wouldn't sell online.

thanks!

Edited by liddybuck01

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jul 6 2008, 01:16 PM)
You could also try here, in Making Modern Music.......

Yeah.....what kind of guitar is it......how much are you asking?

We have a local store called Moze' and i had them appraise my OVation and give me a suggested sale price, they put it on display in their shop for that price and if it sells you give them a small percentage (Concession) - Example i sold my Ovation for $450.00 and gave them $45.00 took a couple of weeks but it saved me all the hastle of phone calls and people trying to drive a cheaper bargain - If the guitar didn't sell you just take it back and they don't ask for a dime -

it's a parker fly mojo. paid $2500 for it. we were going to take it back but it's past the 30 days. he likes it a lot, but a lot of stuff has happened lately and we need the $ now. I guess he wants about $1800 OBO. we went to a store and he was going to trade for a different guitar plus get some cash but it didn't end up working out. if anyone is interested let me know. I can take pics and post them in a few days. it's in perfect condition. he rarely plays it cause he works alot.

With such a higher end, and lessor known guitar, I would, most definitely, list it on Ebay. I know they charge to list it, but it isn't that much and you get huge exposure. Initially list it with a high reserve and see what happens. Then, if it doesn't sell, lower the reserve. Ebay gives you better security too as you can review their history. Craigslist brings out the lunatic fringe. Good luck with the sale.

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Jul 6 2008, 07:34 PM)
With such a higher end, and lessor known guitar, I would, most definitely, list it on Ebay. I know they charge to list it, but it isn't that much and you get huge exposure. Initially list it with a high reserve and see what happens. Then, if it doesn't sell, lower the reserve. Ebay gives you better security too as you can review their history. Craigslist brings out the lunatic fringe. Good luck with the sale.

I haven't seen a Parker Fly guitar in YEARS.......what are those things like (besides over priced)........

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 7 2008, 01:37 AM)
With such a higher end, and lessor known guitar, I would, most definitely, list it on Ebay. I know they charge to list it, but it isn't that much and you get huge exposure. Initially list it with a high reserve and see what happens. Then, if it doesn't sell, lower the reserve. Ebay gives you better security too as you can review their history. Craigslist brings out the lunatic fringe.  Good luck with the sale.

I haven't seen a Parker Fly guitar in YEARS.......what are those things like (besides over priced)........

They're meant to be pretty damn fine to play, have only ever heard good things from peopl who have played them.

Is a shame you're having to sell it, but listing it on e-bay is probably your best bet, Good luck smile.gif

I've been buying and selling used musical instruments since 1985. Take it from me, this is the way to go. It's fast, easy and FREE:

Craigslist is the easiest, fastest way!

Important: Make sure your price reflects the demand of the guitar, not what he thinks it should sell for in his own mind... wink.gif

I agree with most of your points but ebay is a major pain, especially if they don't already have an account with good feedback history. I've been selling and buying on there since 1999 and Ebay has gotten greedier by the minute. It's good for opening up yourself to a much wider market, but most people don't want to deal with packaging and shipping a guitar. Keep in mind also that with ebay's larger market the competition is much more stiff. On a local sale (craigslist) he may have the only guitar of that kind available which gives him strength as a seller. Also, on Craigslist your ad is up in one minute and there are no fees. I'm sure her husband can handle himself as far as dealing with and screening out the "lunatics".

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jul 7 2008, 02:04 PM)
I agree with most of your points but ebay is a major pain, especially if they don't already have an account with good feedback history. I've been selling and buying on there since 1999 and Ebay has gotten greedier by the minute. It's good for opening up yourself to a much wider market, but most people don't want to deal with packaging and shipping a guitar. Keep in mind also that with ebay's larger market the competition is much more stiff. On a local sale (craigslist) he may have the only guitar of that kind available which gives him strength as a seller. Also, on Craigslist your ad is up in one minute and there are no fees. I'm sure her husband can handle himself as far as dealing with and screening out the "lunatics".

There are many local options for packing. Ebay shops, fedex, UPS, etc. They will box it, ship it, insure it. It does take a little more leg work for the seller, but it the exposure is huge compared to one local metropolitan listing.

Or, you can specify local pickup. This still gives you a larger exposure, but limits them to local pick up. Personally, I would prefer not to meet the person. It buffers the transaction and reduces the chance of fraud. I guess I lean toward a more secure transaction. When I sell through Ebay, I only take Paypal, verified addresses and I insure the transaction. Does it take away some of my profit, yes. But it is worth it, imo. Especially with a 1800.00 guitar.

However, there are precautions you can take if you list through Craigslist. I would only show the guitar at a local music shop. If you have a rapport with one, ask if you can meet the potential buyer there. Or, meet at any other secure, public place with high traffic. Also, you can ask for an address that you can verify, or a phone number that matches the name ... and don't be shy, ask for ID.

Ok ... I have spouted off enough lol. tongue.gif

Check out this site....Click me! This is a local buy and sell place that is very popular. They buy and sell guitars from all over the country. The owner's name is Mark. He is a pretty good guy...a bit on the rough/get down to business/no BS side but I can see why. He deals with a crap load of people every day.

They have a want-list on their web site where you can email them to let them know that you are looking for a particular instrument. Maybe someone has been looking for a Mojo like yours. Long shot but all you would have to do is ship it to him (and pay a finders fee I guess) if he sells it for you.

If this guy is an asshole to you, I'm sorry. I've heard him rip in to people on the phone before and it wasn't pretty. Chances are they person on the other end deserved it but......

thanks for all the help, you guys. I'm going to talk it over some more with him and figure it all out.

if we did use ebay we would have his dad list it since he has had an account for some time now. and yeah craigs list is iffy but it might be easier to deal with.

i'll let you know how it turns out. and if anyone is interested let me know! lol

if he can't sell this one he's going to sell his older one. he won't get much for that one but he really doesn't need two. not right now, at least. he wanted to sell his amp but decided against it because of the sentimental value(it was the first big purchase I ever made for him smile.gif )