I am Insane Part Deux. I bought an Alex Lifeson

RUSHHEAD666

I know I need my head examined, but as a drummer of over 26 years I had to give in and buy an Alex Lifeson ES-355.

Sure I don't even play the guitar, but I figure it will be a good investment.

I can't wait to kick Wendy out of bed next week and cuddle my new ES-355 instead of her warm soft naked skin.

Just kidding! laugh.gif

Thank goodness for credit cards and a great wife.

Are there any other RUSH FANS who bought the new Alex Lifeson ES-355?

When it comes to RUSH, money means nothing to me. I am an idiot so spare the nasty remarks. wub.gif

After all I must admit that I am tired of making the mortgage payments on Neil and Carrie's Santa Barbara home.

LOL!!!

Cheers!

MUSHHEAD666

Hey! If you really wanted, then it was the right investment my friend.....whether you play it much or not....It's what you want....Does it make you feel powerful? I'll bet it does actually....How can that be wrong?

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 16 2008, 06:28 AM)
I know I need my head examined, but as a drummer of over 26 years I had to give in and buy an Alex Lifeson ES-355.

Sure I don't even play the guitar, but I figure it will be a good investment.

I can't wait to kick Wendy out of bed next week and cuddle my new ES-355 instead of her warm soft naked skin.

Just kidding! laugh.gif

Thank goodness for credit cards and a great wife.

Are there any other RUSH FANS who bought the new Alex Lifeson ES-355?

When it comes to RUSH, money means nothing to me. I am an idiot so spare the nasty remarks. wub.gif

After all I must admit that I am tired of making the mortgage payments on Neil and Carrie's Santa Barbara home.

LOL!!!

Cheers!

MUSHHEAD666

Give it to me, you know you wanna! tongue.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 15 2008, 11:28 PM)
I figure it will be a good investment.

Why is it a good investment?

Is it worth more than you paid for it?

Is it rare?

If it's an investment then obviously you plan to sell it at some point. Are you sure it will be a positive return on the investment?

Just askin'.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 16 2008, 10:00 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 15 2008, 11:28 PM)
I figure it will be a good investment.

Why is it a good investment?

Is it worth more than you paid for it?

Is it rare?

If it's an investment then obviously you plan to sell it at some point. Are you sure it will be a positive return on the investment?

Just askin'.

Most Gibson guitars are a good investment. They tend to only appreciate. These are considered rare from the outset limited to only 300 units. I believe they are also limited to America. When the R30 kits were first sold one customer bought one sold it on eBay to someone in Japan for more than double what he paid, then turned around and bought a second kit as well as pocketing the profit from the first sale. That is smart business there.

To give you an idea of what guitars can appreciate for here are examples of my dad's instruments. He has a 1951 Martin D-18, a 1961 Fender Precision Bass, and 1978 Gibson Les Paul Gold Top Deluxe (with Les Paul's autograph). I think my grandparents spent $130 on the Martin around 1956. It was used at the time but still not cheap. I think he paid $300 for the bass which was made specifically for him because of the custom finish (Aztec Red, there was one that was candy apple red, but he wanted the Aztec which was not widely available). The Les Paul he got really cheap in '81 from the same store he got the bass when they were going out of business because the old man who owned the store passed away who was also a family friend. He paid $475. None of these really are specialty signature models like the Al, but should give you an idea.

When I was appraising Martins in the mid '90's a late 40's or early 50's Martin D-18 in fair condition would fetch anywhere from $2500- $4000. The last similar Martin in age and model to this guitar I saw was just over $4000.

When we had the Les Paul signed in 1994 the value of late '70s Gold Tops was around $1900 - $2500. There is a 70's Les Paul Deluxe in the GC near my house. The price tag on it is for $4000. I saw it on Saturday.

When I was at the NAMM show in 2007 I was talking to a mid-western vintage guitar collector and dealer. When he found out that I had access to my dad's '61 P he offered me $50K without even looking at it. Fenders, expecially "Pre-CBS" models are extremely valued in the collector community. Strats and Teles mostly but also any of their instruments are the most desired electric instruments ever to be made. Cherry burst Les Pauls from '57, '58, '59 and '60 are close, as are Gold Tops from the early 50's.

Fender and Gibson guitars can be good investments. Not sure how newer guitars will appreciate over the next 20-50 years, one can only guess not as well as "vintage" original models from the '50s because of the inherent rarity of those instruments. The market is completely different now, but a Les Paul is a beautiful thing and will always be valued. Same thing goes for ES models. I just recently saw a '62 335 for well over $4k.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Jun 16 2008, 06:15 PM)
you are a nut.

did you really buy Neil's old house?

crazy

I love all you newbs calling Earl out, hilarious.........

QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Jun 16 2008, 07:36 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 16 2008, 05:28 PM)
you are a nut.

crazy

so did he?

perhaps you should PM Riv and ask him.........

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 16 2008, 05:41 PM)
QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Jun 16 2008, 07:36 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 16 2008, 05:28 PM)
you are a nut.

crazy

so did he?

perhaps you should PM Riv and ask him.........

just tell me please

who is this Riv?

Been wating two months for my local GC to get one in - Went down there today and he said it will be just a couple more days - SUre would like to just take a look at it and see what it is like - I have my GC credit cared with ZERO BALANCE i hope i don't like it to much -

I am trying to get a collection of close to original specs and exact copies of Alex and Geddy's gear. So far Ive got the white and black exact (to specs) copies of the strats from the signals tour, a close to original Geddy Jazz, a geddy Rick 4001 1972, and a Howard Roberts. Hopefully someday Ill be able to afford an Alex Lifeson 355 (drean guitar). Just not in the cards right now, and I havent even touched one in real life nor seen one. wacko.gif

Wish we had a real guitar store here in San Diego - GC realy sucks - Been asking when they expect to get one in and i always get a different answer - One said in the next few days others maybe a week or two and just yesterday one of the staff told me we'll never get that in you have to special order it, so i aksed him why would i pay $3600.00 without trying it first - He said because it's a Gibson you don't have to try it out first - I said OK then you show me something similiar to it as far as feel and features - He didn't know jack !@#$ - You would think they would bring just one in out of the two locations here to let people give it a play before they pay - His excuse was lame becasue when the JImmy Page Sig came out earlier this year they had one for both stores -