The Great Escape

lerxt1990

One of my all time favs. I have this movie in my collection......which consists all of 12 movies.

Read the book, it's even better. Trust me.

That's a great one, with a great cast, Steve McQueen, James Garner, James Coburn, Charlie Bronson, Dickie Attenborough, Davey Boy McCallum, Donny Lovey Pleasance et al...

I must have seen it about 37 times over the years but it's one you can watch again and again...

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 31 2008, 05:50 PM)
Trust me.

I'm sorry Jack, I can't trust you...not this time...you're gonna have to sit this one out old chap, I have to do this...alone...you'll get in on the action next time though...I promise...

Have loved the movie all my life, but never considered reading the book. Might have to get for my next vacation (professional reading takes up most of my time otherwise). Thanks for the idea!

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jun 4 2008, 11:15 AM)
Great movie, great book. Also really enjoy Stalag 17 with William Holden. Possibly even more.

Oh yeah, that's an awesome movie! I need to get it. yes.gif

The character was based in part around a former High School teacher of mine here in South Carolina.

McQueen's character Hilts was based on amalgamation of several characters, including Major Dave Jones, a flight commander during Doolittle's Raid who made it to Europe and was shot down and captured and Colonel Jerry Sage, who was an OSS agent in the North African desert when he was captured. Col. Sage was able to don a flight jacket and pass as a flier otherwise he would have been executed as a spy. Another inspiration was probably Sqn Ldr Eric Foster who escaped no less than seven times from German prisoner-of-war camps.

Sage spent more than 30 years in the Army before retiring in 1972. He taught in Columbia, S.C., and served as an assistant to the president of the U. of South Carolina.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jun 4 2008, 07:58 PM)
QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jun 4 2008, 11:15 AM)
Great movie, great book.  Also really enjoy Stalag 17 with William Holden.  Possibly even more.

I like Stalag 17 even more. Peter Graves as a bad guy! Awesome.

Yeah. The Great Escape is, well, great, but it's very Hollywood. Stallag 17 seems much grittier.

QUOTE (Turn The Page @ Jun 5 2008, 11:17 AM)
The character was based in part around a former High School teacher of mine here in South Carolina.

McQueen's character Hilts was based on amalgamation of several characters, including Major Dave Jones, a flight commander during Doolittle's Raid who made it to Europe and was shot down and captured and Colonel Jerry Sage, who was an OSS agent in the North African desert when he was captured. Col. Sage was able to don a flight jacket and pass as a flier otherwise he would have been executed as a spy. Another inspiration was probably Sqn Ldr Eric Foster who escaped no less than seven times from German prisoner-of-war camps.

Sage spent more than 30 years in the Army before retiring in 1972. He taught in Columbia, S.C., and served as an assistant to the president of the U. of South Carolina.

Neat!