Neil sighting (Freddie Gruber's bday)

rushfr:CP

I wish Neil was a little more approachable though. Since I don't know the man personally, I guess I shouldn't care about his personal life or his tragedies - afterall I can't pretend a stranger (Neil) is my long-awaited friend.

QUOTE (Marathonist @ May 16 2008, 09:07 AM)
QUOTE (skyswing @ May 16 2008, 08:42 AM)
It sounds like Michael takes his role as Neil's Praetorian very seriously and probably is acting on Neil's standing wishes to be left alone by anyone he doesn't already know or who attempts to initiate the contact with him on his or her own.

That's what Michael is paid to do. According to the CP thread, Neil's been threatened with bodily harm by a "fan" before, and we know there have been plenty of incidents where the bus gets followed, or someone manages to sneak onto the bus and wait for him. Heck, if I logged onto the internet and saw photos of me and my bike that someone had taken from a hiding place in the bushes fifteen feet away from me, and I'd had no idea that anyone was there at that time, well. . .that's pretty creepy.

A big part of Michael's job is to be on the alert for and assess any potentially threatening situation. It isn't all about isolating Neil from his fans just because Neil doesn't feel like chatting.

Yeah, you're right Marathonist. Michael's not just being a jerk to be a jerk.

Neil documents on his own a number of creepy incidents with fans which would give most of us the willies. In one of his books, he talks about a guy who left him some beer at his hotel room and then called to see if he liked it (obviously after having seen that Neil had retrieved it from the doorstep.).

Like you said, Michael was conducting threat assessment and following Neil's wishes.

QUOTE (wrekinboy @ May 16 2008, 02:56 AM)
If one wanted to get a response from Neil then the last thing they should say is "Hi Neil". Immediately he knows that as this person is someone he had never seen before then they must have recognised him from Rush and he goes on the defensive, as it could be an annoying fan with requests for pictures, inane conversation etc.

However if they just treated him as a human being and said something like "Great show huh?" or "Can I get a light?" then there is much more chance of an interaction. Still may not work but at least it is not intimidating.

You bring up an excellent point...and from an experience I had once, it's just about right on the money!

Several years back when Page and Plant made "No Quarter", they were on Rockline or some national show, and I was fortunate enough to actually get through on the 800 number and was screened for what I was going to ask/say/talk about.

The last 15 callers all said the same thing..."You guys are the greatest...do you think you will ever put the 3 members together and tour as Zeppelin again...Jimmy you are the best guitarist ever....how long did it take you to make Dazed and Confused...." One rambling Zeppelin question after another and you could tell they were just sick of it and the calls lasted...45 seconds.

I had noticed that during the interview, they were speaking of the new music they made on No Quarter...with the Middle Eastern sounds and how they were inspired by that sound.

I had been to an Egyptian shop in New York about 2 years before that, and thought I'd let them know about it.

I got on the phone, and said hello...they both said "Hey...how's it going"

"Hey, have you guys ever been to The Clover Trading Company in New York? (I can't remember the exact name, but I believe that's it) They have some really great Egyptian items...etc etc"

I proceeded to have a 10 minute conversation with Jimmy Page and Robert Plant and they seemed like they were all over this conversation and just talked and talked away about the influences on the album, and asking me questions about the shop and other places I may have seen.

After I hung up, I remember thinking "Well, I just spent 10 minutes talking to a couple of rock legends, and they appeared to have been in to it". For me, what we talked about was really interesting and I don't believe they thought I was some crazed fan. The fact that I was listening to the show probably told them I was a fan.

That was a very long winded story, but at the end of it, I believe you are right. Perhaps if I ever saw Neil just standing around looking bored, and wanted to talk to him, I'd talk about motorcycles or something...anything BUT Rush and try to refrain from saying "You are the very best".

And Neil used to answer all of his fan mail personally, until this particular fact became widely known thanks to the 'net. After that the volume of mail was just too overwhelming, and he did express regret that he was going to have to stop.

QUOTE (Marathonist @ May 16 2008, 11:40 AM)
And Neil used to answer all of his fan mail personally, until this particular fact became widely known thanks to the 'net. After that the volume of mail was just too overwhelming, and he did express regret that he was going to have to stop.

Like 1001001 said, it's like people want to get Neil's attention if just for the sole purpose of coming back to the message boards for something to brag about.

QUOTE (JDL2112 @ May 16 2008, 09:53 AM)
QUOTE (wrekinboy @ May 16 2008, 02:56 AM)
If one wanted to get a response from Neil then the last thing they should say is "Hi Neil". Immediately he knows that as this person is someone he had never seen before then they must have recognised him from Rush and he goes on the defensive, as it could be an annoying fan with requests for pictures, inane conversation etc.

However if they just treated him as a human being and said something like "Great show huh?" or "Can I get a light?" then there is much more chance of an interaction. Still may not work but at least it is not intimidating.

You bring up an excellent point...and from an experience I had once, it's just about right on the money!

Several years back when Page and Plant made "No Quarter", they were on Rockline or some national show, and I was fortunate enough to actually get through on the 800 number and was screened for what I was going to ask/say/talk about.

The last 15 callers all said the same thing..."You guys are the greatest...do you think you will ever put the 3 members together and tour as Zeppelin again...Jimmy you are the best guitarist ever....how long did it take you to make Dazed and Confused...." One rambling Zeppelin question after another and you could tell they were just sick of it and the calls lasted...45 seconds.

I had noticed that during the interview, they were speaking of the new music they made on No Quarter...with the Middle Eastern sounds and how they were inspired by that sound.

I had been to an Egyptian shop in New York about 2 years before that, and thought I'd let them know about it.

I got on the phone, and said hello...they both said "Hey...how's it going"

"Hey, have you guys ever been to The Clover Trading Company in New York? (I can't remember the exact name, but I believe that's it) They have some really great Egyptian items...etc etc"

I proceeded to have a 10 minute conversation with Jimmy Page and Robert Plant and they seemed like they were all over this conversation and just talked and talked away about the influences on the album, and asking me questions about the shop and other places I may have seen.

After I hung up, I remember thinking "Well, I just spent 10 minutes talking to a couple of rock legends, and they appeared to have been in to it". For me, what we talked about was really interesting and I don't believe they thought I was some crazed fan. The fact that I was listening to the show probably told them I was a fan.

That was a very long winded story, but at the end of it, I believe you are right. Perhaps if I ever saw Neil just standing around looking bored, and wanted to talk to him, I'd talk about motorcycles or something...anything BUT Rush and try to refrain from saying "You are the very best".

You make a good point JDL2112. Lose the, "you're the greatest drummer", "I can't believe I'm talking to you", and "I'm such a big fan".

This kinds of questions go right over there heads. Ask a heartfelt question about anything else interesting other than the band, and you might get more than a few minutes.

"I don't want to meet any of my heros...I met one once and he was drunk. It bummed me out" - Geddy Lee, 1979

Man, I saw the thread title and thought, that's a lot of posts for this video. Then i opened the thread.

I watched the video, looked like a fabulous and warm evening inside.. very nice.

If anyone's ever tried to approach Neil but felt snubbed, I have it on his authority to present to you with this emoticon passion play as to how Neil wished he had responded to you:

You: ohmy.gif and bekloppt.gif

Neil: bekloppt.gif and hug2.gif

You: biggrin.gif and 653.gif

The End. Those snubbed, please take solace now. Thank you.

I have been a huge Rush fan for over 30 years. I have read all of Neil's books, website postings, etc. I certainly appreciate his drumming, but quite frankly don't care to meet him. He really needs to lighten up and I truly believe that he will one day. In the meantime, here's an idea:

If you can't deal interacting with people...stay home.

In our apartment community, we have a maintenance guy who has a fear of dogs. Yet he works there knowing that our apartment community is pet friendly (mostly dogs). When you think that there are other places he could work where there are no dogs, you have to wonder why is there to begin with.

I'm still waiting for my drippy faucet to get repaired. Oh, I have a dog who is absolutely harmless. What's a body to do? b_sigh.gif

Neil as a person lost me with his "fat people at the buffet" writings in whatever book it was of his... You know, just maybe...one of those fat people actually paid money for your music Neil...

Plus, I could really do without all his thoughts on God...

Sir Peart, we all bow to you...

QUOTE (glover @ May 16 2008, 01:49 PM)
Neil as a person lost me with his "fat people at the buffet" writings in whatever book it was of his... You know, just maybe...one of those fat people actually paid money for your music Neil...

Plus, I could really do without all his thoughts on God...

Sir Peart, we all bow to you...

A little bitter, aren't we? eyesre4.gif

Neil is just another person on this planet. He's not a person you would bow down to. That is just a tad over the top. It would be nice to have a conversation with the guy if the situation presented itself. He's nobody's hero.

QUOTE (udanax @ May 16 2008, 03:11 AM)
make sure you read Praetorians posts on CP as well.....

They "biker dude" that told the man to go away was not Michael, as some assume, but the maitre'd of the restaurant.

Im sure he would have handled the situation a lot better.

Oops I didn't read this until just now. OK, well if it wasn't Michael, then I'm not sure why the guy was running interference unless he was directed to do so.

QUOTE (edgyspice @ May 16 2008, 12:37 PM)
Every time I read yet another comment to the effect of "ZOMG Neil is an asshole," I'm compelled to post this article:

Caring for Your Introvert

Wow, that article is dead-bang-on! Thanks for posting the link; I may need to give this to my husband, who, after five years of marriage, still gets offended that I feel the need to get away and go kill a few quiet hours in the library, or just be by myself. It's not something he's done, it's just the way I am.

And so true - why are introverts not allowed to just sit quietly, lost in thought, without everyone assuming something has to be wrong?

This article made me laugh. . .and opened my eyes. Thanks again!

There was a story going around years ago that Neil was spotted in the Santa Monica Mountains with someone (probably Carrie) and this person said, "um I don't want to bother you but aren't you...?", to which Neil interrupted and said "If you don't want to bother me, then why are you bothering me?"

Enough said.

QUOTE (Marathonist @ May 16 2008, 12:33 PM)
QUOTE (edgyspice @ May 16 2008, 12:37 PM)
Every time I read yet another comment to the effect of "ZOMG Neil is an asshole," I'm compelled to post this article:

Caring for Your Introvert

Wow, that article is dead-bang-on! Thanks for posting the link; I may need to give this to my husband, who, after five years of marriage, still gets offended that I feel the need to get away and go kill a few quiet hours in the library, or just be by myself. It's not something he's done, it's just the way I am.

And so true - why are introverts not allowed to just sit quietly, lost in thought, without everyone assuming something has to be wrong?

This article made me laugh. . .and opened my eyes. Thanks again!

You're welcome! I was so grateful when I first read it, because it made me realize that I'm not "broken"-- just wired differently from most folks. In a way it was a huge weight off my shoulders, and it's made it easier for me to deal with other people without offending them.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ May 16 2008, 03:35 PM)
There was a story going around years ago that Neil was spotted in the Santa Monica Mountains with someone (probably Carrie) and this person said, "um I don't want to bother you but aren't you...?", to which Neil interrupted and said "If you don't want to bother me, then why are you bothering me?"

Enough said.

Neil's got a point.

QUOTE (glover @ May 16 2008, 05:19 PM)
seeking advice from a professional may be wise...

exchanging a pleasant hello with a stranger make this world a better place, whomever you are...

See above: Caring For Your Introvert.

Some of us just aren't wired that way. Doesn't mean we hate humanity, or wish anyone ill.

QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ May 15 2008, 11:54 AM)
QUOTE (rushfr:CP @ May 15 2008, 11:43 AM)
Neil isnt the jerk here man. You were by going up to him when you knew he doesnt like strangers talking to him. If he ignored you you should have taken the hint.

Are you talking to me????

No Im talking to the hat in the corner, Who the f do you think I'm talking to?

laugh.gif

Neil doesn't seem like an introvert though, but being introvert shouldn't give a free pass to act like an ass.

I like my privacy as much as anyone and am quite introverted myself, but I don't snub someone and then use my introverted behavior as something to hide behind.

I'm pretty introverted myself. I can definitely see where Neil's coming from, and though I do think he is pretty harsh, I guess he's fed up with it by now. I suppose I can understand that.

As much as we would love it to be true, unfortunately, our heroes are simply not perfect.