the Genesis thread

edgyspice

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 5 2008, 02:15 PM)
QUOTE (moltenlava @ Aug 5 2008, 03:00 PM)
Did anyone ever read Patrick Bateman's in-depth analysis of the 80's Genesis catalog?  Throws a whole new light on it.

LOL!...Oh, and boy am I familiar with that bit of dialogue. Had to defend it to the letter after posting it once. But, I'd really like to take a gander at the sections of the book that the screen-dialogue was based on. I heard that the author expounds on it in much greater detail...Do you know of any net sources for those lines?

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (moltenlava @ Aug 5 2008, 03:20 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 5 2008, 02:15 PM)
QUOTE (moltenlava @ Aug 5 2008, 03:00 PM)
Did anyone ever read Patrick Bateman's in-depth analysis of the 80's Genesis catalog?  Throws a whole new light on it.

LOL!...Oh, and boy am I familiar with that bit of dialogue. Had to defend it to the letter after posting it once. But, I'd really like to take a gander at the sections of the book that the screen-dialogue was based on. I heard that the author expounds on it in much greater detail...Do you know of any net sources for those lines?

Besides the book itself, no.

Here's the scene from the movie. Skip to 1:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBlopUCP8xc

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Aug 5 2008, 03:16 PM)
(re: Supper's Ready)
Yeah!! I wonder what that would have sounded like with PG's current band....

From what I remember, the band looked at Pete like he was nuts for even suggesting such a song... rofl3.gif

But think about what an insult that could have been to Pete. I mean that could have been the song he was most remembered for with Genesis.

QUOTE (Angua @ May 16 2008, 04:03 AM)
QUOTE (edgyspice @ May 15 2008, 06:34 PM)
So, RocinanteKid's thread in the "Rush" forum reminded me-- man, does "I Can't Dance" irritate me for some reason.  Even the video annoys me.  Something about Phil's mugging makes me want to smack him.  Not hard, just forcefully enough to make him stop. laugh.gif

I've always wanted to smack him! Awesome drummer but irritating as a front man.

yes.gif and i think his solo stuff is down right shitty 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 5 2008, 12:33 PM)
Yeah!!  I wonder what that would have sounded like with PG's current band....

From what I remember, the band looked at Pete like he was nuts for even suggesting such a song... rofl3.gif

But think about what an insult that could have been to Pete. I mean that could have been the song he was most remembered for with Genesis.

Yeah, that's true.

I doubt they meant anything malicious, if true. Supper isn't exactly the easiest song to play. I bet a modern reworking of it might have been interesting at worst, wonderful at best.

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Aug 5 2008, 03:50 PM)

Yeah, that's true.

I doubt they meant anything malicious, if true. Supper isn't exactly the easiest song to play. I bet a modern reworking of it might have been interesting at worst, wonderful at best.

Maybe PG's band heard the 9/8 section and said, "Screw that!" scared.gif

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Aug 5 2008, 03:50 PM)

Yeah, that's true.

As a drummer, I am in awe at Collins sense of 9/8 during that song. I have yet to see a band pull it off. Maybe yours has suceeded! yes.gif

As far as re-inventing it, do you think it is even possible? It would have to be another masterpiece. What happened to the new version of The Carpet Crawlers was very difficult to swallow.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 5 2008, 12:55 PM)

As a drummer, I am in awe at Collins sense of 9/8 during that song. I have yet to see a band pull it off. Maybe yours has suceeded!  yes.gif

As far as re-inventing it, do you think it is even possible? It would have to be another masterpiece. What happened to the new version of The Carpet Crawlers was very difficult to swallow.

Could it be reworked? Depends on one's imagination, I suppose. IMO it'd be difficult for a new version to do the song justice, but you never know.

That 9/8 section is insane to play, it's true. I don't know how our drummer does it, but he does it. The keyboard solo is more-or-less in 4/4 there, so for him (and the rest of the band) to keep that 9/8 pocket is something else. (I'm the keysman in the group, and I pretty much had to learn the solo as a continual piece.) It has fallen apart on us many a time in rehearsal before we felt reasonably comfortable with it!!!

I guess I was one of the few who really liked Carpet Crawlers 99. Didn't replace the original, no, but I liked it for what it was: a different spin.

Yay, my thread is back! applaudit.gif

I didn't think the '99 "Carpet Crawlers" was horrible, but it didn't really add anything new. It wasn't different enough to be interesting to me.

Apropos of nothing-- check out this old ad that I scanned:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/edgyspice/genesis.jpg

I can't stop laughing at Tony's expression. Maybe he's having second thoughts about the direction the band has taken? laugh.gif

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Aug 5 2008, 06:26 PM)
Yay, my thread is back! applaudit.gif

I didn't think the '99 "Carpet Crawlers" was horrible, but it didn't really add anything new. It wasn't different enough to be interesting to me.

I can't stop laughing at Tony's expression. Maybe he's having second thoughts about the direction the band has taken? laugh.gif

I have never sen that ad. Cool! Looks like the Invisible Touch era.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 6 2008, 08:33 AM)
Yay, my thread is back!  applaudit.gif

I didn't think the '99 "Carpet Crawlers"  was horrible, but it didn't really add anything new.  It wasn't different enough to be interesting to me.

I can't stop laughing at Tony's expression.  Maybe he's having second thoughts about the direction the band has taken?  laugh.gif

What gave that away? Maybe the Invisible Touch CD sitting atop the CD player? wink.gif

tongue.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 6 2008, 10:51 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 6 2008, 08:33 AM)
Yay, my thread is back!  applaudit.gif

I didn't think the '99 "Carpet Crawlers"  was horrible, but it didn't really add anything new.  It wasn't different enough to be interesting to me.

I can't stop laughing at Tony's expression.  Maybe he's having second thoughts about the direction the band has taken?  laugh.gif

What gave that away? Maybe the Invisible Touch CD sitting atop the CD player? wink.gif

tongue.gif

You know what, I only looked at the picture of the recording studio. I didn't even notice. doh.gif

:bitchslap gomps:

Edgy, I found you guys! Wooohooo! Thanks for the link!

I've been a Genesis fan since the early 70s, when I was a tiny tot. IMHO, this group can really do no wrong. Their shows were some of the best I have ever seen.

For decades, Yes and Genesis were my favorite bands---and Genesis, along with Rush, completely knocked Yes out of the running. trink39.gif Pop or not, Genesis will always delight me. I don't care if it's Domino or Apocalypse in 9/8 from SR...I love it all.

I was at the last shows at the Hollywood Bowl---I couldn't have asked for anything more. trink39.gif

I can't help but take a little detour in this post. My husband is the keyboardist for Los Angeles' Genesis cover band, Gabble Ratchet. Here's a clip of them doing Watcher of the Skies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdS4P90bOFM

Before Gabble Ratchet, my husband was in a different Genesis cover band in LA, called Cinema Show (previously The Supernatural Anaesthetists). This band featured the incomparable Shaun Guerin (the son of drummer John Guerin) on kit and vocals. Shaun's voice was so close to Gabriel's that it was almost terrifying. Paul Whitehead and Armando Gallo loved him, and would come to the shows. It was such a scream to see them there!

Shaun passed away in 2003. He was one of the most amazing people I have ever known. We were like brother and sister. I'd like to include this next clip so you can hear Shaun sing. This is a cover of Kevin Gilbert's City of the Sun with Shaun on vocals (my husband is also on keys for this). You will probably hear the Gabriel in Shaun's voice:

Imperatrix, did I see your husband at the recent Fish show at the House of Blues on Sunset? Someone was there handing out business cards for his Genesis tribute band...I asked him for one and I believe I told him, "I f*cking love Genesis." laugh.gif

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Aug 6 2008, 07:02 PM)
Imperatrix, did I see your husband at the recent Fish show at the House of Blues on Sunset? Someone was there handing out business cards for his Genesis tribute band...I asked him for one and I believe I told him, "I f*cking love Genesis." laugh.gif

Edgy-- I bet that was Dave (our vocalist) you saw at the Fish show. We would have been there too, but I had neck surgery the previous month and was still recuperating at home.

Tasia dear, thanks for posting those clips. The "Watcher" was about 18 months ago...I think we sound a LOT better now. ohmy.gif

I miss Shaun too..he was one of a kind...could sing like PG and drum like PC. There isn't a rehearsal or gig that goes by where I don't think of him.

--Matt

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Aug 6 2008, 06:13 PM)

Edgy-- I bet that was Dave (our vocalist) you saw at the Fish show. We would have been there too, but I had neck surgery the previous month and was still recuperating at home.

Ah, I see. It's too bad you didn't make it to the show-- it was awesome! Hope your neck is feeling better by now, though.

I should check your band out one of these days!

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Aug 6 2008, 07:02 PM)

Sweetie, here's who you saw:

DAVE!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3224/2739670325_3e282f7436_o.jpg

(he's a cutie, too!)

I just saw the Kevin Gilbert video again. Saw that one about a year ago. And, I think I stated back then that it was painfully obvious that the keyboard player is carrying this outfit. But, that's changed. Now I think it's the drummer. lol. And, these cats sound frightfully close in vision to another band I know called The Watch. Wonderin' when The Ratchet is gunna take a stab at delivering some original material. I'd get all excited 'bout hearin' that.

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Aug 6 2008, 10:13 PM)
Tasia dear, thanks for posting those clips. The "Watcher" was about 18 months ago...I think we sound a LOT better now. ohmy.gif

Well I think you guys sounded pretty damn good already! Better now you say? Well, more YouTube clips please! yes.gif

GENESIS 1970-75 RELEASED NOV 10 2008!!!!

All albums from Trespass to Lamb, DVD footage and a disc of extras, including "Genesis Plays Jackson", a soundtrack for an aborted BBC Art film on the work of painter Michael Jackson.

And there was me thinking it was their take on the Jackson 5 ouvre. Now that would be interesting. Or horrific. ohmy.gif biggrin.gif

I cannot wait for this box to come out, if the DVDs' are anything like the other 2 sets we're in for a treat.

I don't know if any of you realized Phil Collins son, Simon, is following in his dad's footsteps. I just stumbled upon this.

Simon Collins Tribute to Genesis with IK and Sonic Reality Products

Sunrise, FL Jun 14, 2007 in Music and Recording

http://prmac.com/release-id-526.htm

Sunrise, Florida: IK Multimedia and Sonic Reality are pleased to announce the release of a new single from Simon Collins featuring, for the first time in his career a cover of a Genesis song paying tribute to his father Phil Collins' work with the band. The song, "Keep it Dark" from the album "Abacab," was chosen by Simon and co-producer Dave Kerzner of Sonic Reality.

"I've always had a special affinity for this song," says Collins, "and when I met Dave during Genesis' rehearsals for their upcoming reunion tour, we both agreed it would be a cool song to do together."

This modernized and futuristic version of the early 1980's offbeat Genesis single, "Keep it Dark," was created by Simon and Dave from the ground up using Dave's cutting edge music software made with IK Multimedia and Sonic Reality. From virtual guitar amplifiers in products like AmpliTube and AmpliTube Jimi Hendrix™ to acoustic drums and other sounds from products such as SampleTank, Sonik Synth and Studiophonik, this track was made almost entirely inside the computer.

"So many musicians, including Genesis themselves, use our software to make music with the computer," says Kerzner. "I was really excited to use these musical tools with Simon to pay tribute to one of my favorite bands, Genesis."

Simon Collins' music is a fusion of pop, progressive rock and electronica and the song "Keep it Dark" has a theme that fits in with Simon's fascination with space, science, mystery and the unknown. This version takes the song into darker sonic territory and uses IK software to weave rich complex textures with dimension and edge.

The song is available as a limited-time free download from: http://www.keepitdark.net

For more information on Simon Collins visit: http://www.simoncollins.net and http://www.myspace.com/sonicreality

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 27 2008, 01:39 AM)
GENESIS 1970-75 RELEASED NOV 10 2008!!!!

All albums from Trespass to Lamb, DVD footage and a disc of extras, including "Genesis Plays Jackson", a soundtrack for an aborted BBC Art film on the work of painter Michael Jackson.

And there was me thinking it was their take on the Jackson 5 ouvre. Now that would be interesting. Or horrific. ohmy.gif biggrin.gif

I cannot wait for this box to come out, if the DVDs' are anything like the other 2 sets we're in for a treat.

Is this the long-awaited box set my friends keep talking wistfully about? I heard it got delayed a bunch of times. Anyone know why?

QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 27 2008, 07:32 AM)

Sunrise, Florida: IK Multimedia and Sonic Reality are pleased to announce the release of a new single from Simon Collins featuring, for the first time in his career a cover of a Genesis song paying tribute to his father Phil Collins' work with the band. The song, "Keep it Dark" from the album "Abacab," was chosen by Simon and co-producer Dave Kerzner of Sonic Reality.

That's one of my fave Genesis songs! I'll have to DL it when I get home.

Archived