Judas Priest - Nostradamus

treeduck

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Metal Edge contributor Bryan Reesman was the first American journalist to fully hear the new JUDAS PRIEST rock opera "Nostradamus" and interview Rob Halford, Glenn Tipton, and K.K. Downing about it this past Tuesday. The interview will run as the July 2008 cover story of Metal Edge, which streets June 3.

Of the album, Reesman says, "Some fans have expressed concern to me about this album being potentially 'Spinal Tap', but they have nothing to fear. The current free download (the title track) delivers a ferocious song that will certainly remind PRIEST fans of 'Painkiller', but the whole album goes far deeper. Over the course of 104 minutes, they deliver everything from emotional ballads to heavy anthems to orchestral interludes that are quite impressive in their musical and emotional scope. 'Angel of Retribution' was a good but safe comeback album. 'Nostradamus' takes PRIEST to another level. They're exploring many areas we've never heard from them. The main songs, which are all between four and eight minutes apiece, have classical or operatic overtones but are still heavy. They use live strings, piano, acoustic and Spanish guitar, and keyboards in different places. Rob even sings in Italian during 'Plague and Pestilence'. Instead of focusing on Nostradamus' prophecies, which have been debated ad nauseum, he tackles the dramas and tragedies within his life. Even though the individual songs are strong, PRIEST aren't going for hit singles here. It's powerful conceptual metal all the way. Rob's voice sounds great and his vocals the most diverse since 'Stained Class', and Glenn and Ken's guitar playing is stellar. Beyond the tours this year, they're hoping to stage the album on a grander scale next year at prestigious venues like Carnegie Hall or the Royal Albert Hall."

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 25 2008, 12:25 PM)
Metal Edge contributor Bryan Reesman was the first American journalist to fully hear the new JUDAS PRIEST rock opera "Nostradamus" and interview Rob Halford, Glenn Tipton, and K.K. Downing about it this past Tuesday. The interview will run as the July 2008 cover story of Metal Edge, which streets June 3.

Of the album, Reesman says, "Some fans have expressed concern to me about this album being potentially 'Spinal Tap', but they have nothing to fear. The current free download (the title track) delivers a ferocious song that will certainly remind PRIEST fans of 'Painkiller', but the whole album goes far deeper. Over the course of 104 minutes, they deliver everything from emotional ballads to heavy anthems to orchestral interludes that are quite impressive in their musical and emotional scope. 'Angel of Retribution' was a good but safe comeback album. 'Nostradamus' takes PRIEST to another level. They're exploring many areas we've never heard from them. The main songs, which are all between four and eight minutes apiece, have classical or operatic overtones but are still heavy. They use live strings, piano, acoustic and Spanish guitar, and keyboards in different places. Rob even sings in Italian during 'Plague and Pestilence'. Instead of focusing on Nostradamus' prophecies, which have been debated ad nauseum, he tackles the dramas and tragedies within his life. Even though the individual songs are strong, PRIEST aren't going for hit singles here. It's powerful conceptual metal all the way. Rob's voice sounds great and his vocals the most diverse since 'Stained Class', and Glenn and Ken's guitar playing is stellar. Beyond the tours this year, they're hoping to stage the album on a grander scale next year at prestigious venues like Carnegie Hall or the Royal Albert Hall."

that rules more than anything has ruled before 1022.gif

So my mom finally said I could go to the Toronto Metal Masters show, now I just need to find a decent single seat... which is harder than I thought considering they went on sale nearly a week ago. Ack. Must keep trying. wacko.gif smash.gif

QUOTE (ifloveremains @ May 1 2008, 01:21 PM)
So my mom finally said I could go to the Toronto Metal Masters show, now I just need to find a decent single seat... which is harder than I thought considering they went on sale nearly a week ago. Ack. Must keep trying. wacko.gif smash.gif

You going on your own??

Mind you've I've done it, saw Accept/Dokken in 1986 on my own when I was 19 and had a blast...

1022.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 1 2008, 02:42 PM)
So my mom finally said I could go to the Toronto Metal Masters show, now I just need to find a decent single seat... which is harder than I thought considering they went on sale nearly a week ago.  Ack. Must keep trying. wacko.gif  smash.gif

You going on your own??

Mind you've I've done it, saw Accept/Dokken in 1986 on my own when I was 19 and had a blast...

1022.gif

Yeah, nobody I know listens to Priest or anything else on the list, unfortunately. sad.gif I'll say she's not wild about the idea but I will have a seat, it isn't general admission or anything (except the lawns, but oy, no thanks heh). 1022.gif

QUOTE (ifloveremains @ May 1 2008, 03:09 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 1 2008, 02:42 PM)
So my mom finally said I could go to the Toronto Metal Masters show, now I just need to find a decent single seat... which is harder than I thought considering they went on sale nearly a week ago.  Ack. Must keep trying. wacko.gif  smash.gif

You going on your own??

1022.gif

Yeah, nobody I know listens to Priest or anything else on the list, unfortunately. sad.gif I'll say she's not wild about the idea but I will have a seat, it isn't general admission or anything (except the lawns, but oy, no thanks heh). 1022.gif

Yeah it can sort of suck when you're the only one into a band in your circle of friends, when it comes to gigs. Maybe you can twist your best pal's arm and make them go with you?? Tell them they'll love it and force them to get into Priest!!

1022.gif

wink.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 4 2008, 02:43 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 4 2008, 02:28 PM)
OK here's the first single

http://fmqbproductions.com/epks/2008/judas...t/download.html

http://fmqbproductions.com/epks/2008/judaspriest/images/row1.jpg

Priest, Heaven and Hell, Testament, and Motorhead? Awesome.........

Don't forget to click the link to hear the single WC...

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 4 2008, 03:01 PM)

Hey man, I checked it out..........it sounds pretty good........Halford's voice still sounds great.............

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 4 2008, 03:02 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 4 2008, 03:01 PM)

Hey man, I checked it out..........it sounds pretty good........Halford's voice still sounds great.............

Cool

1022.gif

QUOTE (ifloveremains @ May 4 2008, 03:28 PM)
Woohoo, my awesome mom decided to come after all. Got a pair for the TO show. 1022.gif 1022.gif I told her to bring ear plugs, haha.

Buy her a low-cut/short skirt leather metal chick outfit so she feels like she fits in...

biggrin.gif wink.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 4 2008, 04:32 PM)
QUOTE (ifloveremains @ May 4 2008, 03:28 PM)
Woohoo, my awesome mom decided to come after all. Got a pair for the TO show. 1022.gif  1022.gif I told her to bring ear plugs, haha.

Buy her a low-cut/short skirt leather metal chick outfit so she feels like she fits in...

biggrin.gif wink.gif

z7shysterical.gif

i only had a chance to hear the title track. very cool 1022.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ May 7 2008, 11:46 AM)
there's another track on Judaspriest.com called Visions. Sounds good but not quite blowing my hair back.

I mentioned this quite a few posts back Rushman!

tongue.gif wink.gif

bumper.gif

I just thought I'd bump this thread cause I'm really anticipating this release. So much so I've even got out my Jugulator and Demolition albums (not often played Owens-era Priest albums), yep you KNOW I'm in a Priest mood!!

1022.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 16 2008, 11:32 AM)
bumper.gif

I just thought I'd bump this thread cause I'm really anticipating this release. So much so I've even got out my Jugulator and Demolition albums (not often played Owens-era Priest albums), yep you KNOW I'm in a Priest mood!!

1022.gif

wow you must be in Priest mood, because I find Demolition tough to sit through.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ May 16 2008, 02:31 PM)
bumper.gif

1022.gif

It is to be honest!!

laugh.gif

halford is the metalgod 1022.gif this is going to blow away the last album

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ May 16 2008, 02:31 PM)
bumper.gif

1022.gif

it is.....I sure can't.......